Name The Current Top 3 American Potters

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As most of you know, the great Ron Lang retired earlier this year.

For me, he was one our very best American potters. Along with Sara Rayner & Roy Minari, Ron Lang made up the Top 3.

Now that he has retired, who takes his place?

Name your top 3 current (still making pots) American Potters.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
As someone who has 7 Sam Miller Pots , I can attest to how fitting his work is to what I want to invoke in my trees.
Nao Tokutake , don’t have anything from him yet, hoping to change that soon. I’ve
appreciated his work for some time.
Sara Rayner
Runner up -Nick Lenz , i love his pots and want to find them, he seems like a mystery to me.
Runner up no 2. Max Braverman , old school American potter from around here.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like what I've seen from Eli Atkins at Waldo St. Potter ( I believe that's where Ron Lang's Kiln wound up), and our very own Tokutake. Really like what I've seen of his so far.

FWIW, to replace Ron Lang requires someone who can work BIG (like over 15" and larger)--consistently with skill. That's a big ask, since it requires a BIG kiln and a lot of material and someone to buy the pots. . Sara Raynor is one of the American potters who can do that. Nao Tokutake looks to be another. I haven't seen many others who can pull off big pots that aren't simply serving bowls with a hole in the bottom. Roy Minarai's glazes are spectacular, but I can't use 6-10 inch pots...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As someone who has 7 Sam Miller Pots , I can attest to how fitting his work is to what I want to invoke in my trees.
Nao Tokutake , don’t have anything from him yet, hoping to change that soon. I’ve
appreciated his work for some time.
Sara Raynor
Runner up -Nick Lenz , i love his pots and want to find them, he seems like a mystery to me.
Nick Lenz no longer makes pots.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like what I've seen from Eli Atkins at Waldo St. Potter ( I believe that's where Ron Lang's Kiln wound up), and our very own Tokutake. Really like what I've seen of his so far.

FWIW, to replace Ron Lang requires someone who can work BIG (like over 15" and larger)--consistently with skill. That's a big ask, since it requires a BIG kiln and a lot of material and someone to buy the pots. . Sara Raynor is one of the American potters who can do that. Nao Tokutake looks to be another. I haven't seen many others who can pull off big pots that aren't simply serving bowls with a hole in the bottom. Roy Minarai's glazes are spectacular, but I can't use 6-10 inch pots...

Big fan of Eli. And I agree with your size & scope assessment.

I’m digging Tokutake’s work as well.

I think Iker has done some nice big stuff.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok, still want to find some though
Well, good luck. Hope you have a lot of cash...
These prices are not unusual for basic pots. The best ones are already in private collections and bring much MUCH higher prices. The National Arb asked owners to allow some to be exhibited a while back. These photos are of some of the pots on display. If I recall correctly, some of their owners post here occasionally. Ask if they want to sell ;-)...

Attachments

• nicklenzarb1.jpg
    nicklenzarb1.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 68
  • nicklenzarb2.jpg
    nicklenzarb2.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 62
  • nicklenzarb3.jpg
    nicklenzarb3.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 64
  • nicklenzarb4.jpg
    nicklenzarb4.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Well, good luck. Hope you have a lot of cash...
These prices are not unusual for basic pots. The best ones are already in private collections and bring much MUCH higher prices. The National Arb asked owners to allow some to be exhibited a while back. These photos are of some of the pots on display. If I recall correctly, some of there owners post here occasionally. Ask if they want to sell ;-)...
Perhaps one day , I’ll stick w my top 3 for now.

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It must be a lot of pressure to be at the top.
I would hope that when there's a waiting list, customers are patient...but humans being human...? I can only imagine being good enough to be sought after enough to get away with being cantankerous..."no pots for you!" 🤣

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
are there people who create bonsai pots out of rock? Like drilling into rock? I imagine it’s not a new idea. But think it would look cool! I’ve seen some but was curious if anyone did it and sold them?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Eli is one of "our very own" as well: @Waldo Street Pottery
Yep. Forgot that
are there people who create bonsai pots out of rock? Like drilling into rock? I imagine it’s not a new idea. But think it would look cool! I’ve seen some but was curious if anyone did it and sold them?
Yeah, Kurama stones have been used in Japan for years. However, rocks are heavy and mostly impractical. Rocks that are adequate to use as pots aren't all that common either.

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
I think most would say Raynor, Sam Miller, and Roy Minarai. I personally like Nao Tokutake the best by quite a bit but I am lukewarm on most of the rest. I am not a serious pot collector but most American potters seem to either only make round pots, small pots, or pots with glazes that can be too much. Even Roy, I really like and think his craftmanship is spot on, and the glazes are beautiful but I can't seem to seem to envision a tree in them. Almost like they are art and not containers. I know Mach5 had a muted cream colored pot from him that I liked (very long pot). I really prefer rectangular pots in most cases and like them to be crisp with clean lines. A weird architectural design hang-up I have. I will say that Stacy Allen Muse has some amazing painted pots. Assuming he makes the pots then I will put him #2. Ron Lang did make some stellar pots.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Shameless plug, but I've interviewed several of these peeps.

Sara was so down-to-earth.

Ron was a deep thinker and generous with his time.

Eli is just a great dude!

And of course our very own Sorce!!

I'd love to interview Roy or Sam. I once asked Nao, but he declined., maybe he'll reconsider:)

Top Bottom