Name The Current Top 3 American Potters

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think most would say Raynor, Sam Miller, and Roy Minarai. I personally like Nao Tokutake the best by quite a bit but I am lukewarm on most of the rest. I am not a serious pot collector but most American potters seem to either only make round pots, small pots, or pots with glazes that can be too much. Even Roy, I really like and think his craftmanship is spot on, and the glazes are beautiful but I can't seem to seem to envision a tree in them. Almost like they are art and not containers. I know Mach5 had a muted cream colored pot from him that I liked (very long pot). I really prefer rectangular pots in most cases and like them to be crisp with clean lines. A weird architectural design hang-up I have. I will say that Stacy Allen Muse has some amazing painted pots. Assuming he makes the pots then I will put him #2. Ron Lang did make some stellar pots.
I think much the same and I am a pot collector. From what I've seen, I much prefer Nao Tokutake's work to Roy Minarai's for functional, actual bonsai use. It was a pity having Stacy Allen Muse flameout here. Can't look at his work without having some bad memories. I've seen his work--It's great, if a bit too "busy" for actual bonsai use, at least for me.

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
I think much the same and I am a pot collector. From what I've seen, I much prefer Nao Tokutake's work to Roy Minarai's for functional, actual bonsai use. It was a pity having Stacy Allen Muse flameout here. Can't look at his work without having some bad memories. I've seen his work--It's great, if a bit too "busy" for actual bonsai use, at least for me.
Sorry to open old wounds, i didn't even know Stacy Allen Muse has been on this site. Another thing I should have called out but it seems many new potters (not just American) like to have ornate feet which I am not a big fan of. Many do look good but I just see something very breakable and wobbly on my slatted tables.

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I think you could break it down to wheel vs slab. I personally love Jonathan Cross’ style and clay mixtures. I am partial to more slab potters. Josh Jeram is another amazing potter with the crystal glazes

dacoontz

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’m a big fan of Sam Miller’s pots. He takes pride in his work and prices his stuff according to their outcome. IMHO no one does natural clay toned “primitive” type pots like he does. His shipping costs are better than reasonable too. Some people seem like they’re trying to make a dime off you there, but pretty sure he loses money on his shipping costs.

Doug Trythall also does really nice work. I’ve purchased a couple of his pots and they are exquisite and stout. He does not produce a lot of work, but the stuff he does is precise to the nth degree.

I would add Vicki Chamberlin to the list of potters to consider. I like her glazes as they are attractive but not overbearing. Her pots accent the tree but don’t domineer them. She does all sizes including large ovals. I’d love to have one of her pots but lately they’ve all been spoken for.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I came in on the end of his flameout. I wish I knew what happened but if I’m honest I’m glad to know that I don’t. His work is so good, and his paintings of late are phenomenal.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I came in on the end of his flameout. I wish I knew what happened but if I’m honest I’m glad to know that I don’t. His work is so good, and his paintings of late are phenomenal.
Selling a lot of paintings on Facebook auctions lately

Nickagainst1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Shameless plug, but I've interviewed several of these peeps.

Sara was so down-to-earth.

Ron was a deep thinker and generous with his time.

Eli is just a great dude!

And of course our very own Sorce!!

I'd love to interview Roy or Sam. I once asked Nao, but he declined., maybe he'll reconsider:)sweet I had no idea u had a podcast. Going to consume this material immediately. Thanks for the plug and be more shameless!!!

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don’t know about ranking anyone but I do know that I absolutely love the works of Sonny Boggs.
I do enjoy his creativity and appreciate his love of art. I think we are very lucky to have the talented potters that we do have.
View attachment 399792View attachment 399793View attachment 399794View attachment 399795View attachment 399796View attachment 399797View attachment 399798View attachment 399799View attachment 399800
I ❤️ Sonny!! Great addition to the list.

Jim Horton

Seed
Reaction score
Nao Tokutake does great work. He has just updated his website to facilitate custom orders!

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dean bullock makes some killer pots, I will be getting a few at the winter silhouette this year.

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh and Justine from forest inn pottery, she does an amazing job and they come very well packaged. Just got this one a while back. 473E9048-545B-463F-B9D1-0A087A2D78AB.jpegF4B5E506-F9F4-442B-9636-D74DFF00D010.jpeg

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Nao Tokutake does great work. He has just updated his website to facilitate custom orders!
I looked at his site and to me it is not user friendly if you wanted to buy a pot. I saw a gallery of pots he has made, but nothing for sale.

Top Bottom