Name this boxwood variety

subnet_rx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is some sort of dwarf boxwood variety. I have looked around, but from what I can tell, boxwood varieties are hard to ID. These trees are about 6-8 inches high. All the nursery could tell me is that they have had them for a long time and won't be ordering them again because they grow so slowly.
07-16-2008%20053.jpg

07-16-2008%20054.jpg

07-16-2008%20055.jpg

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Morris Midgit

Kingsville has a more pronounced curl in the leaf.

Your welcome....

subnet_rx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hmm, you may be right. Some of the pictures I'm seeing look a lot like it. If it is, then I made a good choice because they are apparently heavily resistant to insects, which I have a problem with right now. Thanks.

cray13

Sapling
Reaction score
Just wanted to chime in... I have Morris Midget and Kingsville and I must agree with Smoke. This definitely looks like Morris to me. They probably grow about an inch a year if your lucky.

riprap

Sapling
Reaction score
How long has 'Morris Midget' been around? I had the opportunity to dig up a boxwood hedge that was probably planted in the 1940s or 1950s, and the bark and leaves look a lot like these photos.

cray13

Sapling
Reaction score
Found this on google

http://www.saundersbrothers.com/boxwood_trials2.htm#Chapter 4

microphylla var. japonica 'Morris Midget'

"Morris Midget’, a very compact mounded plant, is one of the most compact of all boxwoods. Annual growth of about 1” per year. Originated in the Morris Arboretum in Philadelphia. It has a smoother appearance than a sister plant, ‘Morris Dwarf’. Mature specimens are in the National Arboretum, Missouri Botanical Garden in St. Louis, and in the State Arboretum of Virginia near Winchester. This is one of the best of the dwarf cultivars. "

couldn't find what year it was "discovered" but I did find the Morris Arboretum's website which states the Arboretum was founded in 1932.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a photo of my Morris. I have been working on it for 7 years. It is very slow growing. Kingsville will grow circles around this variety.

Cheers, Al

Attachments

• morrisboxwood.jpg
    morrisboxwood.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 48
Top Bottom