Nana procumbens juniper help

Rianodell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A buddy gave me this nana juniper, I don’t really like the way it looks tho. (Not any agents the previous owner) it’s just odd to me, it does have a lot of potential. Any, and all styling ideas, advice, or just direction would be much appreciative.

It’s not my first juniper, it is however the first one I’ve had that is so tall.

Attachments

• EB7BD746-E0AF-4085-8013-822C84C01F51.jpeg
    EB7BD746-E0AF-4085-8013-822C84C01F51.jpeg
    398.6 KB · Views: 270
  • 2BD0CF60-1F16-48D5-86A3-AC35344ACCA4.jpeg
    2BD0CF60-1F16-48D5-86A3-AC35344ACCA4.jpeg
    341.4 KB · Views: 218
  • D41B833D-4342-4D03-BD7B-6AE0ADF83436.jpeg
    D41B833D-4342-4D03-BD7B-6AE0ADF83436.jpeg
    292.3 KB · Views: 217
  • 0B9DF6D3-AD7F-4701-861C-D39AE1249D70.jpeg
    0B9DF6D3-AD7F-4701-861C-D39AE1249D70.jpeg
    357.7 KB · Views: 194
  • 5739CCDF-64B8-412C-B9D2-CFD0F82C45D7.jpeg
    5739CCDF-64B8-412C-B9D2-CFD0F82C45D7.jpeg
    325 KB · Views: 193
  • 10ECB16D-CC1C-4ECD-924A-ABB3EF39D0C0.jpeg
    10ECB16D-CC1C-4ECD-924A-ABB3EF39D0C0.jpeg
    321.5 KB · Views: 205

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Healthy, nice thick trunk… I don’t love the long lower branch, might shorten it more in line with the other side. Maybe strip the top, remove it completely? I like to edit images before I make any real changes, might try either of those and see how you like the change. Great potential!
B

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks nice and healthy, lots of potential.
I would consider starting the transition to a bonsai pot. I.e., repot it into something considerably shallower. When you do that see if you can find a base to the trunk and adjust the planting angle to show off anything like a nebari. Leave most or all the foliage for strength to drive recovery.
Then just watch it for a year. Look at it and think.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice healthy looking tree. First as suggested start downsizing the pot. Second this is too tall to be a semi-cascade so you will eventually want to cut that long lower branch back. You might even be able to air layer the lower section of that branch and create another tree. Finally I think the jin are too long. As the saying goes long jin usually give the appearance of a young tree whereas shorter jin reflect age.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
all..every one of the lower branches have been removed, this is a tall tree or needs a very severe bend in the trunk

agree lower jin branches are too long as a tall tree, split them and peel them back like a banana

look at tall trees -bring in significantly and wire, especially that ridiculously long branch

…not sure if my opinion is humble, though there it is

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice healthy looking tree. First as suggested start downsizing the pot. Second this is too tall to be a semi-cascade so you will eventually want to cut that long lower branch back. You might even be able to air layer the lower section of that branch and create another tree. Finally I think the jin are too long. As the saying goes long jin usually give the appearance of a young tree whereas shorter jin reflect age.
Smaller pot would slow the tree down at this point of definitely needing development post upper work and consequential root work -I am of the mind that trees go into smaller pots as they are refined, not in drastic need of work. Smaller pots slow growth, this tree I may even put into a larger vessel.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
I agree with @Cofga the jin look too contrived. They are way too long and straight and look out of place. You could try to compact the tree by shortening and folding the first branch and putting some bends in the others. Does the trunk have any flex anymore or just too big to bend now? If you shorten the jin and and maybe connect the ones coming off the trunk with a shari it could add some interest to the trunk. As others have noted it looks as though you are starting with very healthy material so you have that going for you.

Rianodell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
all..every one of the lower branches have been removed, this is a tall tree or needs a very severe bend in the trunk

agree lower jin branches are too long as a tall tree, split them and peel them back like a banana

look at tall trees -bring in significantly and wire, especially that ridiculously long branch

…not sure if my opinion is humble, though there it is
I do agree with everything you said. My thought was literati, outside of that I don’t know what I’d do.

Rianodell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree with @Cofga the jin look too contrived. They are way too long and straight and look out of place. You could try to compact the tree by shortening and folding the first branch and putting some bends in the others. Does the trunk have any flex anymore or just too big to bend now? If you shorten the jin and and maybe connect the ones coming off the trunk with a shari it could add some interest to the trunk. As others have noted it looks as though you are starting with very healthy material so you have that going for you.
It’s to big to bend at this point. I was thinking of literati, or letting it grow out after removing the unwanted branches.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I do agree with everything you said. My thought was literati, outside of that I don’t know what I’d do.
I can not recommend this book strongly enough, insight and inspiration is abundant.
ECDDEFA7-2EDC-4DCF-8C8E-CCA9498D00AB.jpeg

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Smaller pot would slow the tree down at this point of definitely needing development post upper work and consequential root work -I am of the mind that trees go into smaller pots as they are refined, not in drastic need of work. Smaller pots slow growth, this tree I may even put into a larger vessel.
If this tree needs more growth, by all means leave it in this pot or pot up a little or even put it in the ground. If this tree is ready to style then moving it to a shallower, wider pot before removing a lot of foliage might help it recover more quickly setting you up for stronger response after major re-styling work.
Some people would repot and re-style all in one go.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If this tree needs more growth, by all means leave it in this pot or pot up a little or even put it in the ground. If this tree is ready to style then moving it to a shallower, wider pot before removing a lot of foliage might help it recover more quickly setting you up for stronger response after major re-styling work.
Some people would repot and re-style all in one go.
I’m not sure how repotting into a smaller pot would speed up recovery -my understanding is that repotting removes resources, slows growth overall in general, and can be one of the most shocking things we do to trees..?🤔

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This may be sacrilege, but I'd chop off the jins and the big sweep, leave it in that pot and gaze at it on a patio.
Something about it pleases me.

Rianodell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This may be sacrilege, but I'd chop off the jins and the big sweep, leave it in that pot and gaze at it on a patio.
Something about it pleases me.
So far that’s the plan this year (some Jin’s will be left, but shortened to stubs). I’m going to keep it tall and take it in the literati direction over the next few years.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I had a staked mound procumbens as a haystack pile about 20-30 years ago.
One day I looked at it and just started trimming stuff out.

This is it today. 2023 procumbens juniper.jpg

I toyed with bunjin but still like the drooping branches.
Who knows? Bonsai is anything but stagnant or settled. :)

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I’m not sure how repotting into a smaller pot would speed up recovery -my understanding is that repotting removes resources, slows growth overall in general, and can be one of the most shocking things we do to trees..?🤔
Junipers seem to depend on their foliage more than their roots so reducing foliage is more of a set-back than reducing roots.
At some point a shallower pot might be desirable. Recovery from a major root reduction in a juniper is quicker with plenty of foliage to drive strength. Styling can be done now, no problems. But when it is time to fit it into a new pot it will recover more slowly than it would have with lots of foliage. Just my preference to get roots sorted out first.
Junipers are pretty tough, sequence of operations is often a matter of convenience or opportunity.

Rianodell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone

This is it today. View attachment 482577

I like your tree a lot. I could have done something similar with the tree I got, but too meany lower branches where taken off. I do only plant on air layering the long branch off this year, so I might put it in the ground and let it put on a bunch of growth to start over with. I do lean towards bunjin as a style for tall trees with little taper like mine.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

This is it today. View attachment 482577

Those junipers in the background look just like the huge torulosa in Peter Chan's home.

Rianodell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
an update on the juniper, got it more workable for the future. was hard for me to see a future tree, but i like how it’s come along this year.

Attachments

• IMG_5400.jpeg
    IMG_5400.jpeg
    206.4 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_5403.jpeg
    IMG_5403.jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 117

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
A big improvement. If you can get a branch on the right side (approach graft?), start filling in and shaping the foliage, and jin the top, I think you'll discover a really wonderful tree.

Top Bottom