Nana... "What to do next?"

tmjudd1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've been playing with this 'nana' for a couple of months. I'm now starting to like where it is going, but now I'm stuck. I've so far wired it up and also 'compressed' its tall, lanky stature. Today I did a lot of 'pinching' to clean it up a bit and hopefully promote some back-budding to fill out the foliage. The lowest right twig/branch kinda bothers me. It's too skinny and keeps drawing my eye to it. I'm thinking about lopping it off, but not sure if I should just let it grow and see what happens.
What would 'you' folks do at this point?

I started with 'this';
First Styling.jpg...

... and 'this' is what I now have;
IMG_20190210_151823673.jpg

What should I do next?...
Should I lop off that lower right limb?...
Any 'other' suggestions?...

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
If it was me, I would get rid of that lowest branch, or jin it. Then thin those pads out a little more, make sure that you have eliminated everything that is growing down, out of the bottom of your pads, and eliminate any crotch growth in between all of the branches, even the tiny ones. I like the curves you have added, it is gonna look really stellar in a few years.

tmjudd1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If it was me, I would get rid of that lowest branch, or jin it. Then thin those pads out a little more, make sure that you have eliminated everything that is growing down, out of the bottom of your pads, and eliminate any crotch growth in between all of the branches, even the tiny ones. I like the curves you have added, it is gonna look really stellar in a few years.
Thanks for your input. I'm gonna lop that branch off. It bugs me! Next weekend I'll do a bit more wiring, in needful places, then do a bit more thinning.

tmjudd1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ah yes... much better. "I should 'now' be able to sleep, tonight!"
Lopped Lower Branch.jpg

tmjudd1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It is kinda low and comes off the trunk at a wonky angle.
It does look a bit 'wonky' from this angle, however. The actual 'display' side is about 20 degrees to the right, in this photo. When viewed from the true display side, that branch actually looks rather nice, coming off of a bend in the trunk... and fits in well with the current shape of the tree. Sorry 'bout the off angle of the picture. I just didn't feel like rotating for the best shot. :)

Top Bottom