Nandina Bamboo

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks nice, thanks for the pictures! Did you do some burning on the carved areas? And I’m guessing that any wiring would be difficult/useless ... ?
Your reports of back budding plus the overall look of the tree is making me keen to do the chop on mine early next year : )

edit: just found your blog post about the carving workshop. A treasure trove! ThX!

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Vin these treated as a tropical? Thinking...might be so, since we have a cutting given to my son by the photographer for his senior photos. It's in the kitchen on a ledge with roots in a bottle of water and a cute tag about luck.

Reactions: Vin

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Vin these treated as a tropical? Thinking...might be so, since we have a cutting given to my son by the photographer for his senior photos. It's in the kitchen on a ledge with roots in a bottle of water and a cute tag about luck.
They are definitely not tropical but I'm not sure how far up north they thrive. They can take some pretty cold temps and that's about all I can tell you. If for some reason yours doesn't make it I can send you many more.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
They are definitely not tropical but I'm not sure how far up north they thrive. They can take some pretty cold temps and that's about all I can tell you. If for some reason yours doesn't make it I can send you many more.
Thanks Vin...Adair talked me off the ledge. Holding out for a nicer clump. Reminding myself...I want low numbers in my collection.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Vin...Adair talked me off the ledge. Holding out for a nicer clump. Reminding myself...I want low numbers in my collection.
There is an uncommon variety that may be worth looking for Nandina domestica 'Filamentosa'. Could make a nice accent.

Elihatt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've since sold the tree but here is the last picture I took of it. Honestly liked the tree a lot. Had to give it up and some others to move to Japan.

View attachment 217964

View attachment 217965

View attachment 217966

View attachment 217967
View attachment 217967
Hello sorry for the super late reply I wonder if you’re still active here. I just picked up a Nandina and can’t find much online about their care. Repot and prune in spring?

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You don't really "prune" Nandina in the conventional sense. Nandina kind of grows in a sprig type pattern. If you prune the tips of the sprigs (stems) they may or may not produce new growth but it won't be outwardly from the side. It will continue on from the tip that was pruned. If you're fortunate to find one that has some sort of trunk then you may get some budding on the trunk as you prune the sprigs away. Repotting in the Spring is best. My suggestion, they make great accents but you have your work cut out for you if you're going to try and make a tree out of them. I have no idea where you're located but D&L Bonsai Nursery in Ocklawaha Florida used to have some pretty nice specimens.

Elihatt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
How do nandina respond to D67CFE97-6127-463F-9047-C203CDCEB985.jpegAB071EA5-167F-49D2-993E-F1AD3D191F83.jpegwiring or guy wiring? I bought this a few weeks ago and would like to eventually fan out the clump of branches a little and try to bring the foliage down through backbudding

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
For props/stand-offs/spreaders I like to take a thick piece of copper, put a U at each end and then spin them in opposite directions with two pairs of pliers. That work hardens the copper. Then I cut the ends off at an angle to make both sides pointy. Then I use that to wedge two trunks/branches apart. Before I do that I'll use a piece of bamboo to determine the width just because it's easier/cheaper to make adjustments until I find the size I want. It makes for nice and discrete prop. Here's an example on my kotohime.

1592420218040.png

To answer your actual question; I've only wired one trunk on mine to get a minor bend at the top. So far, so good.

Elihatt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
For props/stand-offs/spreaders I like to take a thick piece of copper, put a U at each end and then spin them in opposite directions with two pairs of pliers. That work hardens the copper. Then I cut the ends off at an angle to make both sides pointy. Then I use that to wedge two trunks/branches apart. Before I do that I'll use a piece of bamboo to determine the width just because it's easier/cheaper to make adjustments until I find the size I want. It makes for nice and discrete prop. Here's an example on my kotohime.

View attachment 309711

To answer your actual question; I've only wired one trunk on mine to get a minor bend at the top. So far, so good.

Actually I think the answer you gave initially is what I really needed to hear. Since the branches I want to spread are so numerous and close to the base I think the spreader technique will be better suited to what I want to happen. Thanks so much I had seen people do this but it didn’t even cross my mind and I didn’t really know how it was done anyway

niddyyo

Seed
Reaction score
I realize this is an old thread, but I'm glad I found it nonetheless. I just found a nice specimen at a local nursery discount section. There is some good info here.

Attachments

• 20221030_111022.jpg
    20221030_111022.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20221029_152927.jpg
    20221029_152927.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20221029_152912.jpg
    20221029_152912.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20221029_152903.jpg
    20221029_152903.jpg