Nanking Cherry help

HumbleTrees

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Here are a few pictures of leaves from an air layered Nanking cherry. It looks, to me, like it has a magnesium deficiency. Can anyone confirm or suggest what it might be?
thanks
riley

Attachments

• 1 August 23.jpg
    1 August 23.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 3 August 23.jpg
    3 August 23.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 2 August 23.jpg
    2 August 23.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I have a Prunus tomentosum (Nanking) that had leaves that did just that this summer as well. It's sitting right next to a Prunus campanulata 'Okame' that didn't do that. I was wondering earlier in the summer why the yellowing of the Nanking and I thought it might have been not enough fertilizer but now I think it was just heat/sun. Notice that the yellowing and drying is between the veins (farthest from the water supply.) Also my Nanking had the most leaves like that during the heat spell in early summer and the leaves that came after were greener. I think it's just a little sensitive to heat and afternoon sun when young. I don't think it will hurt the growth.
Just my opinion...
I cut mine back pretty hard 4 weeks ago so I can't post any of the leaf photos from the prior period.
Ian

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a large one I am growing out in the ground, but haven't seen this issue on my tree. We have hot summers here, and mine is in full sun and not watered regularly.

HumbleTrees

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I have a large one I am growing out in the ground, but haven't seen this issue on my tree. We have hot summers here, and mine is in full sun and not watered regularly.

I have four in the ground as well not showing any of these signs. The black nursery pot this one is in gets extremely hot in the sun though.

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
With scorch issues it makes all the difference in the world how well established the root system is. Lots of plants and trees in the ground have no issues whereas a recently repotted container plant might.
Ian

Top Bottom