Natal Plum plums

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Most of the plums ripened, untouched by critters. I plucked them off to give the plant a couple of months to grow before having to come inside. I tried one, meh.
Congrats, you "ate your bonsai". Too bad it was less than delightful. Oh well.

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How's this one holding up over the winter, @Carol 83? How long did the fruit stay on the plant?

I finally have mine styled in a way I'm pleased with. It's nerve-wracking to cut them back isn't it? They don't grow super quickly in our neck of the woods.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
How's this one holding up over the winter, @Carol 83? How long did the fruit stay on the plant?

I finally have mine styled in a way I'm pleased with. It's nerve-wracking to cut them back isn't it? They don't grow super quickly in our neck of the woods.
It's doing fine. I did a bit of an emergency repot a couple weeks ago, the soil it came in just wasn't draining and it was staying too wet. Seems fine now. After the first fruit ripened, I cut the rest off to let it put more energy toward making foliage. It bloomed a short time after. It's growing a bit, but you're right, they do so much better when outside. Hurry up spring!

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
You see natal plums EVERYWHERE here in landscaping. It is actually on the list for our homeowner's association as one of the preferred "water wise" plants that we use in our landscaping. We see plums all the time... but I have never seen them as large as on your plant. Normally they are just small things - not much larger than a marble. It is probably due to the cultivars we use. It is cool to see a large plum; I didn't actually think there were any out there.

I was in San Diego last year and natal plums were used everywhere as shopping center parking lot landscape, big fruits too. Didn't know what they were until recently.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hey, I was wondering. I didn't do a wider search so call me lazy....
but has anyone done a complete defoliation of a natal plum to get smaller leaves? any time of year that would be best? spring? I've got fairly large leaves on mine.
Yes, I take it down to two leaves and defoliate, once a year, or every other year. That's about a million leaves and you need to be careful to not damage the bud in the axil, so it's slow. Alternately, I just take it down to two leaves. I work on it in autumn or winter in a cool greenhouse when I don't care what it looks like. It sort of has continuous growth so when there is not a million buds that need to be simultaneously expanded the leaves are bigger, (you can see this in the photo) so continuous tipping is part of the game. I've had it 15+ years and never a flower, but Keeping it tight enough to have layers and definition is the price I pay. I think. I don't have spines either and I think there is a correlation between cultivars that are more fruitful and spines and size. Mine is probably a dwarf, too. I had one as a houseplant a hundred years ago before I knew enough about houseplants to keep it looking nice enough for my wife not to complain. It had flowers and fruit followed around Christmas. And big spines.
NP 2020_0111StatusQuo0002.JPG
This pot is about 8 or 9 inches tall.

Last edited:

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Yes, I take it down to two leaves and defoliate, once a year, or every other year. That's about a million leaves and you need to be careful to not damage the bud in the axil, so it's slow. Alternately, I just take it down to two leaves. I work on it in autumn or winter in a cool greenhouse when I don't care what it looks like. It sort of has continuous growth so when there is not a million buds that need to be simultaneously expanded the leaves are bigger, (you can see this in the photo) so continuous tipping is part of the game. I've had it 15+ years and never a flower, but Keeping it tight enough to have layers and definition is the price I pay. I think. I don't have spines either and I think there is a correlation between cultivars that are more fruitful and spines and size. Mine is probably a dwarf, too. I had one as a houseplant a hundred years ago before I knew enough about houseplants to keep it looking nice enough for my wife not to complain. It had flowers and fruit followed around Christmas. And big spines.
View attachment 290118
This pot is about 8 or 9 inches tall.
Forsoothe, that's lovely. I've never defoliated mine. Should I do that this year? When? What do you mean take it to two leaves? Every shoot gets cut back to two base leaves? These pics are from last week.

Attachments

• IMG_20200316_112614378.jpg
    IMG_20200316_112614378.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20200316_112608776.jpg
    IMG_20200316_112608776.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 36

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I find it is very hard to obtain ramification. It wants to just continue tip extension. I manage just by being persistent.
NP ramification example.JPG
You have allowed nearly normal growth where the leaves fill in the space between the internodes and new pairs of leaves are added to the tip. You have many years piled on with very little bifurcation, just like me, so you have long stems packed with leaves. I have much shorter stems with just 3 or 4 sets of leaves, max. You have too many to count on one stem.
NP 9 sets of leaves.JPG
Naturally, fewer and/or smaller leaves will mean slower growth. Choose your poison.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
I find it is very hard to obtain ramification. It wants to just continue tip extension. I manage just by being persistent.
View attachment 290146
You have allowed nearly normal growth where the leaves fill in the space between the internodes and new pairs of leaves are added to the tip. You have many years piled on with very little bifurcation, just like me, so you have long stems packed with leaves. I have much shorter stems with just 3 or 4 sets of leaves, max. You have too many to count on one stem.
View attachment 290147
Naturally, fewer and/or smaller leaves will mean slower growth. Choose your poison.
So when is a good time to defoliate? Once I do that I can take a pic and then maybe u can guide as to how to prune for max ramification. This is what it looked like in 2016.

Attachments

• IMG-20200321-WA0015.jpg
    IMG-20200321-WA0015.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It looks very healthy, so you can defoliate now. If you need to leave the base of the leaf to protect the bud in the axil, that's fine. The expanding buds will push the old leaf out of the way and you can go back later and clean it up at your leisure. It also looks like you have plenty of twigs that can be wired into fans, if that's what you want. I would invite @vancehanna to participate in this confab, too, because I have seen the mother of yours and it's one of the best. My trees are generally of a more pedestrian design than his, so he might be able to coach you to a more adventurous styling.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
It looks very healthy, so you can defoliate now. If you need to leave the base of the leaf to protect the bud in the axil, that's fine. The expanding buds will push the old leaf out of the way and you can go back later and clean it up at your leisure. It also looks like you have plenty of twigs that can be wired into fans, if that's what you want. I would invite @vancehanna to participate in this confab, too, because I have seen the mother of yours and it's one of the best. My trees are generally of a more pedestrian design than his, so he might be able to coach you to a more adventurous styling.
Yes the mother is beautiful! I think I've posted pics earlier in this thread.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Ok so I've defoliated her (name's Karessa if anyone cares) and took some pics. Feel free @Forsoothe! To make red slashes all over them. After repotting three tropicals and now this I'm running out of things to do while it's Michigan warm outside.:)

Attachments

• IMG-20200326-WA0036.jpg
    IMG-20200326-WA0036.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG-20200326-WA0040.jpg
    IMG-20200326-WA0040.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG-20200326-WA0039.jpg
    IMG-20200326-WA0039.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG-20200326-WA0038.jpg
    IMG-20200326-WA0038.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG-20200326-WA0037.jpg
    IMG-20200326-WA0037.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 18

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
I feel bad hijacking the thread like this. Didn't know if I should've started a new one. Apologies @Carol 83

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ok! I like it all. Keep in mind that all growth will be either linear from the ends of the twigs, or kind of closely angled sideways from those twigs and not the way Acer palmatum would angle out at ~60° and point straight up to the sun. The twigs eventually turn up, but they take several generations of leave, and in a broad arc, and so they don't really spread wide to fill in space. So, wire them as companions where you want pads keeping that in mind. Other than that, every pair at the tip needs to cut off, unless you want that twig to extend, or only the tip will grow and all the secondaries will just park. You really have the makings of a fine tree. Good show! Meijer bailed out today for this year's show. Boo, Hiss 😞

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Meijer bailed out today for this year's show. Boo, Hiss 😞
I know, I was really upset. I even signed up for the BYOT with Mauro S. Also, this year I was planning to enter a couple of trees for the first time. Oh well, I hope the four seasons show doesn't get cancelled. BTW, could you do one of your yellow/red line type images to illustrate what you said in the previous post? I think I get it but I am a very visual learner :)
Also, I'm assuming that at every cut it will have two new shoots emerging?

Last edited:

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I know, I was really upset. I even signed up for the BYOT with Mauro S. Also, this year I was planning to enter a couple of trees for the first time. Oh well, I hope the four seasons show doesn't get cancelled. BTW, could you do one of your yellow/red line type images to illustrate what you said in the previous post? I think I get it but I am a very visual learner :)
Also, I'm assuming that at every cut it will have two new shoots emerging?
The tips look freshly cut. Did you already prune the last pair of leaves on each stem? It's not possible at this time to guess if Mauro will skip his trip or not, but if he does past through this region he will probably do something at the Flower Market. Talk to Kurt and ask him about the possibilities.
NP 2020 trim.JPG
NP 2020 fresh curts.JPG

Last edited:

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It's not intended to be beneficial, it's intended to force the tree to use all the resources it has in an emergency replacement of the canopy. Since doing that, using all of its stored resources, is not required when merely replacing a portion of an existing canopy that has reduced usefulness because that portion is old and/or interior leaves that are not as efficient because they are old, or because they are now partially shaded by newer leaves, it can only inflate the new, emergency canopy to a smaller size. This is exhausting to the tree and will reduce the amount the tree will grow until such time as it has restored the used up resources, probably at least one year.

If you want the tree to grow at maximum you don't trim it at all. There is a price to pay for every outcome. You buy smaller leaves in return for expending vitality. You pays your money and you takes your chances. You don't always get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get.

Top Bottom