Natal plum propagation

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a Natal plum that is growing like a weed, with tremendous new growth. When I prune it back I'll have two or three sprigs six inches long or better, well on their way to lignification. I'm wondering if anyone has tried propagating from cuttings, and what potting medium would be best to try rooting them. Any suggestions or guidance would be very much appreciated.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you very much! Happy to be here.
I fear that projects I start now may someday be taken over by my grandson [now 3.5 yrs old], but as long as I'm above ground I'll be learning something from these little trees.

pitchpine

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi there!

I've successfully rooted Natal plum cuttings in a glass of water - - - of course transferring them to pots once the roots get a couple inches long. :)

Laura

I have a Natal plum that is growing like a weed, with tremendous new growth. When I prune it back I'll have two or three sprigs six inches long or better, well on their way to lignification. I'm wondering if anyone has tried propagating from cuttings, and what potting medium would be best to try rooting them. Any suggestions or guidance would be very much appreciated.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The other night I repotted Natalie [the plum in question] into her first bonsai pot and discovered that I had a separate, bonus little tree. I had a nice mame pot handy, so voila! Given how new I am to bonsai, seemed like an appropriate image for my avatar.

Top Bottom