Natal Plum

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I am new to bonsai (only about a year, although I have 7 trees :) ) I have had a Natal Plum since August, and it is growing like a weed. I know it needs some serious pruning, but I want to see it bloom. I would appreciate any advice. Should I let it grow, and see if it blooms, or go ahead and prune it. I have an Australian Brush Cherry that is putting out some buds, so I thought the Natal Plum, might start soon also?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I was away when you sent the PM but I just replied. When it blooms and how it blooms will depend on the previous way it was cared for this year. After this you will have control of that by proper trimming.

Grimmy

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I was away when you sent the PM but I just replied. When it blooms and how it blooms will depend on the previous way it was cared for this year. After this you will have control of that by proper trimming.

Grimmy
I apologize for sending a personal message. I just joined, so wasn't sure how to start a conversation. It sits in a south facing area by my patio door. I water it when the top half inch or so feels dry. I have read that the blooms form on the rounded leaves, so have been hesitant to prune it, in case I chop off something that might become a flower bud.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I just joined, so wasn't sure how to start a conversation.

No worries, I often have PM's and many times phone calls. I was just away from the PC. When did you acquire the plant?

Grimmy

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
No worries, I often have PM's and many times phone calls. I was just away from the PC. When did you acquire the plant?

Grimmy
I got it last August from Eastern Leaf Nursery.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would let it grow out and note when and where it blooms. The PM mentions how pruning helps control it and when you see what needs be done by letting it go for now you will be in control next season. All plants respond different so as you acquire more(we all do:p) you will find you are working them constant if you have a wide variety.

I must add you are doing good right off the start keeping it alive in IL... Serious.

Grimmy

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I would let it grow out and note when and where it blooms. The PM mentions how pruning helps control it and when you see what needs be done by letting it go for now you will be in control next season. All plants respond different so as you acquire more(we all do:p) you will find you are working them constant if you have a wide variety.

I must add you are doing good right off the start keeping it alive in IL... Serious.

Grimmy
I really wanted to let it grow myself to see what happens, so I'm glad to hear that's what you think is best. I already have 7 trees, and have been debating on what to get next ;). The weather here is not the best for outdoor trees, so I am keeping it to tropicals, and flowering types. I currently have the Natal Plum, an Australian Brush Cherry, Barbados Cherry, Fukien Tea, Ficus, Elm, and a Jade I did myself from a Home Depot plant. Any suggestions on what my next one should be? I've been toying with getting a Serissa, but I know they are tempermental, and would hate to waste the money, if it's going to die:( Thanks!!

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There is several active members here from IL like @sorce. Perhaps it is best to get their input being they are in a similar USDA Zone. Do you really have an Elm indoors? Myself I could safely guess most any Ficus will do good if you are keeping one alive but again I am not from there.

Grimmy

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Yes, the Chinese Elm is indoors. It rotates leaves a lot, but always has new ones.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It's noon at Grimmy's.

Cheers!

Yes, the Chinese Elm is indoors. It rotates leaves a lot, but always has new ones.

It will do nicely outside for the Summer right through to leaf drop when it should be brought into a cool place for the Winter... The link has detailed information and guidelines - http://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Ulmus.html. The reason I mention it is it may seem to be doing good but will not continue to indoors all of the time. After 2 or 3 years it will, or normally, slowly die.

If you have room there - even a small area there is a lot of things that will Winter just fine outdoors there... The reason I say that is I am blessed to have an indoor room for plants but that is most often not the case. Even with an entire room it can be a lot of work, planning, control, and money as well.

Grimmy

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Thank you. I will move it outside this weekend. It's been pretty rainy and miserable here lately, but the weekend is supposed to be sunny and warmer. I'll start it off in a shaded area, to get it used to the outside.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
When I do trim up the Natal Plum, I was wondering if I might be able to get some of the cuttings to root? Some of the shoots are really long.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I do trim up the Natal Plum, I was wondering if I might be able to get some of the cuttings to root? Some of the shoots are really long.

No harm in trying!
Not bad timing!

Sorce

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Pretty good chance in your parts they will take, here it is to late. If they are full of leaf however it might be to late. No harm trying though.

Grimmy

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Natal Plum is a member of the family that includes Gardernia. Good choice for indoor bonsai. Though quite honestly my gardenia blooms better and more often than my Natal plum ever did. They tolerate low humidity well. If you forget to water, they will survive an occasional drought, if not too often. I live right at the IL-WI border, on the south side of the ''Cheddar Curtain''. ''Da Bears''. So I grow it as an indoor most of the year tropical. My first one seldom bloomed during its 20 or so years. I was pruning it too often. I never let it get big and bushy. I believe part of the problem is they really need full sun to bloom well, and indoors, a pane of glass cuts off a minimum of 30%, modern inert gas filled double pane glass cuts off 60% of incoming light. Even in my light garden, which is high tech & quite bright, it seldom bloomed. My light garden is bright enought to bloom Bouganvillea 3 times a year, but not Natal plum. Natal plum does develop nice trunks and have a rough bark, and will eventually make a believable tree. Flowers will have to be the occasional bonus, not a regular occurance in our climate. They are tough to get to bloom. Let it grow out and get bushy, pruning back only once a year if you really want flowers. Maybe let it grow out until it blooms as said above, even if it takes 3 years. Then note the age of the branch that bloomed, one year old, two year old or whatever, and adapt your pruning to maximize wood of the right age to bloom. I bring my natal plum indoors when night time temps start dropping into the middle 40's F at night in autumn. I don't put it out untill its time to plant peppers & tomatoes in spring. Mine tended to bloom in autumn or winter, sometimes early spring. Once it blooms, only do your pruning shortly after blooming each year. Bring back into ''bonsai shape'' and let itgrow out again. See if that works.

The new one I have now is still to young and small to have bloomed for me.

Honestly, in my experience, there are better species for flowering bonsai, but as a drought tolerant bonsai Natal plums are great.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
There are a number of good choices for indoor flowering bonsai but all have their quirks. I can keep many alive, but some are frustrating. Serrisa, gardenia and Fukien tea are all plants that some people can grow and others can't. Skill level almost doesn't matter. They are either happy in your environment or they fade away. I finally got a serrisa through 3 winters, I have yet to get a fukien tea to survive a full year. Yet I have some orchids that I have kept alive for 40 years or more. Pomegranate, natal plum, azaleas, bursera I have (or had) decades old examples of each. My thought is start with inexpensive young plants, see what grows and what doesen't, and then focus on the ones that do well for you. Your other choices were all good choices, I really like Eugenia as indoor bonsai.

Top Bottom