National Arb photos

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Made a trip up to the National Arboretum Sunday. Here are some of the photos...

The first is John Naka's Montezuma cypress. The tree was the subject of a pictorial in his first book, Bonsai Techniques 1 (might be the second, can't remember)

The second is a Japanese elm, if I remember right.

The third is a group planting of Stewartia/Beech and boxwood I think. It is also in the Japanese collection.

Attachments

• IMG_0154.JPG
    IMG_0154.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_0151.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0150.JPG
    IMG_0150.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the pictures. The mixed species planting is really interesting. Looks like you caught a bumblebee or a hummingbird in with the Montezuma cypress, pretty cool :)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's one of the literally thousands of carpenter bees that buzz around scaring the bee--jesus :D out of the tourists. They are VERY agressive, but they don't have stingers and can't do anything but bump into you...:D They bore holes into wooden structures to lay eggs and tend their young. Since the exhibits have wooden supports for overhead screening, they're all over the place...

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
I remember that Montezuma cypress from John Naka. It hasn't changed much in 15-20 years! It looks a bit smaller now though. Amazing that they can keep it looking like that for so long. In 1997, I started a Montezuma cypress copying that tree. I could never achieve a finished look like that. So I finally chopped it down and restyle it over again last year. Nice seeing that old Naka tree again though. It must be very hard to try to keep all the trees looking like they were original, out of respect for the previous owner/donor.
Thanks for showing the trees from the National Arb. Rockm.
Si

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I agree Si. It must take an army to work on all the trees there. I was talking to one of the caregivers last year, and he was telling me how important it was to them to keep the trees looking like the original. Its a great place to visit for inspiration. Just learn to love the bees, lol.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A couple more photos. The first is the Yamaki White Pine. The 400 year old tree that survived the Hiroshima blast. The second is a huge Japanese wisteria which has a spectacular trunk.

Attachments

• IMG_0186.jpg
    IMG_0186.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0187.jpg
    IMG_0187.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 52

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hope Rockm doesn't mind me adding a few of my own to his thread, but here are a few of my favorites.

If you can ever make it out to the National Arboretum and see the collection, it's worth the trip.

Attachments

• John Naka Goshin.JPG
    John Naka Goshin.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Vaughn Banting Bald Cypress.JPG
    Vaughn Banting Bald Cypress.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Dan Robinson Ponderosa (Jackie Gleason Dancing).jpg
    Dan Robinson Ponderosa (Jackie Gleason Dancing).jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 43

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are a couple of others. The zelkova is a very big tree, and I think Rosade's hornbeam looks a lot better in person than in (my) pictures. The toringo crab apple is incredible, especially in flower or in fruit.

Attachments

• Zelkova.JPG
    Zelkova.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Chase Rosade European Hornbeam.JPG
    Chase Rosade European Hornbeam.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Toringo Crab Apple.JPG
    Toringo Crab Apple.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 43

mholt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for posting your recent inspirational photos, Rockm. What's that wisteria, about 5' tall?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd say a little over 5', but it would be a guestimate...

Top Bottom