National Bonsai & Penjing Japanese pavillion

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hadn't been up to the arb in a while, at least since they opened the newly-renovated Japanese pavilion. It is SOOOOO much better than before and extremely well-done. I was blown away by the changes--most were subtle, but they added up to a more unified and calming exhibit.

exhibit4.jpgexhibit3.jpgexhibit7.jpg

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
This was my first time seeing the renovations and I took pics as well because I was also pleasantly surprised. I liked the different sections with formal squared-off granite and wood compared with less formal rough granite shapes and free-form wood. I’m sure everyone is waiting to see how the wood tops wear and weather.

8D97E1CF-043D-4136-9E94-44DAD21B93A0.jpegBA92803D-1F69-49F6-A77C-31744E3D139C.jpeg87B939CA-1FFF-4A46-B30A-DB98A949B003.jpeg532D93C0-09B5-462C-9923-A2B0BB092D72.jpeg

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice! I almost went there today but the threat of rain made me hold off. Took my son to the Air and Space Museum all day today instead and he's been loving it. We still didn't get through all of it so we'll go back. We will probably go to the National Arboretum and see the Bonsai and Penjing tomorrow. Later in the week it'll be a lot hotter and more sunny for being outside all day. Thank you for sharing your trip! Having lived in China for a while I am especially looking forward to seeing the Penjing exhibits in person.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice! I almost went there today but the threat of rain made me hold off. Took my son to the Air and Space Museum all day today instead and he's been loving it. We still didn't get through all of it so we'll go back. We will probably go to the National Arboretum and see the Bonsai and Penjing tomorrow. Later in the week it'll be a lot hotter and more sunny for being outside all day. Thank you for sharing your trip! Having lived in China for a while I am especially looking forward to seeing the Penjing exhibits in person.
Good choice to head over there today and not the Air and Space museum downtown. Capitals' championship parade is going to screw up the mall for a while today.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This looks Beautiful. The display has a real natural feel to it, and you can see each tree clearly on it's own, even with others in view. Someone really did a great job here.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The designer was Koichi Kurisu, same guy that designed the Morikami Gardens and supervised the construction of the Portland Japanese Garden in the 70's. He worked with the architectural firm of Rhodeside & Harwell in the $2 million public/private renovation of the Pavilion. I know all this because I recently got the National Bonsai Foundation's 2017 annual report. Interesting stuff in it.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It was a great day at the Bonsai and Penjing museum. I did get some sunburn but the weather was great and I took about a million photos with lots of close up detail shots. Could not have asked for a better day - and yes you were right, everything running downtown was blocked off but we went via 395 up to hwy 50 and had no trouble. Except at first I thought the entrance to the Arboretum was closed - they only had most of the lane blocked off but we managed to squeeze past and get in. I'll be happy to post some photos on my own thread of some of my favorites this weekend once I'm not so tired. There were a number of notable trees that were not out that I looked for but everything looked great.

Top Bottom