National Forest Service Permit

tallacman

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well... I just called the local office about collecting a tree to bring home. Xmas cutting permits start on November 1.
The lady who answered was absolutely clueless.

• me: I want to collect a tree to bring home.
  • her: You mean you want to uproot one of our trees?
  • me: Well they're 'our' trees, aren't they?
  • her: Well, yes. But you can't do that.
  • me: What about cutting Xmas trees?
  • her: Please hold...

Then she transferred me to someone's voicemail.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Tell them you want a FS-2400-1 Forest Products Removal Permit. My last one purchased in Feb 2018 was good for 6 months and allowed me to collect trees 2-6’ tall on the Appalachian Ranger District in the Pisgah National Forest. They charged me $2 per tree. The restrictions are printed on the permit but make sure to ask them about locations that may be off limits due to seasonal activities, etc. They are issued within each Forest Service District Ranger office and you have to go there to purchase the permit.

Reaction score
Some districts call it a transplant permit or wildling permit. You can also ask to speak to a senior forester, or leave a message for that person. My experience, this isn't the time of year they usually issue permits. Perhaps a little different in NV. But in NM, CO, and WY its usually Sometime between May and Aug.

Good luck!

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I believe they change names and practices in different places. I tell them i want them for bonsai and they always seem interested. Here in CO, it is $10 per tree, permit valid for a year

GSCarlson

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Would now be a good time to collect from the high country, before the snow starts falling?

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Would now be a good time to collect from the high country, before the snow starts falling?
Never tried collecting in Fall, but I have had good results collecting from high country in early Spring

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Only one of our National Forests in AZ allows bonsai collecting. That may be a future project PBS may look into....how to open up more forests for bonsai collection.

Reaction score
Only one of our National Forests in AZ allows bonsai collecting. That may be a future project PBS may look into....how to open up more forests for bonsai collection.

Some of the districts, if you can get a meeting with the lead forester and explain what you're about, keeping the trees alive, non-commercial use, etc. They can write you 1-2 district wide permits even if they do not have a typical program for collection. I have had that happen 1 time.
Just a thought.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Professional tree collectors could tell you. Randy Knight told me he collects most months of year(weather permitting)and survival depends on after care. Have most excellent 300-350 year old Ponderosa he collected 14 Oct, 2014 Wyoming. He could tell would survive by Mar 2015. Doing well my place currently:cool:.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I live in central CA, and I've tried obtaining a tree collection permit quite a few times. I've called several different district offices, and everyone I spoke to said they dont issue those permits. I've left voicemails with the forestry agent in charge of logging, but never got a response.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I live in central CA, and I've tried obtaining a tree collection permit quite a few times. I've called several different district offices, and everyone I spoke to said they dont issue those permits. I've left voicemails with the forestry agent in charge of logging, but never got a response.
Check the National Forest Sevice's webpage. State forests may not issue permits, but all national forest district offices do.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

They need to save them for the fires ? Funny how that happens... they won't let anyone collect one or two trees, then just like clockwork, 20,000 acres of said material burns each year. I was just up biking in a National Forest the other day where they don't allow collection permits. They were bulldozing a new firebreak. About three miles long - a strip bulldozed right through the middle of the forest.

But no, you can't collect a single tree.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They need to save them for the fires ? Funny how that happens... they won't let anyone collect one or two trees, then just like clockwork, 20,000 acres of said material burns each year. I was just up biking in a National Forest the other day where they don't allow collection permits. They were bulldozing a new firebreak. About three miles long - a strip bulldozed right through the middle of the forest.

But no, you can't collect a single tree.
They probably wouldn't like it if you went in behind the dozer looking for leftovers either... not that there would be much left anyway lol!

thylako1d

Seed
Reaction score
I’ve been looking into this a bit more to figure out why some districts do or don’t issue transplant permits (Nebraska National Forest only issues Xmas tree permits, but not transplant permits, for example). From what I’m seeing in the Forest Service Manual, the authority is given to the district officer, and they seem to be given carte blanche to decide whether or not to issue permits for special forest products. So based on that, I think I’d second the comment that talking with the district officer or “head ranger” or whoever is in charge to ask special permission. (The link below is to the FSM section that I’m combing over)

https://www.fs.fed.us/dirindexhome/field/gmug/fsm/2400/2400_zero_code.doc

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Professional tree collectors could tell you. Randy Knight told me he collects most months of year(weather permitting)and survival depends on after care. Have most excellent 300-350 year old Ponderosa he collected 14 Oct, 2014 Wyoming. He could tell would survive by Mar 2015. Doing well my place currently:cool:.
Agreed, the weather is a key factor, this includes the ground conditions, high country often freezes early and digging is not possible, plus the footing is very treacherous on frost and ice in the high country! Most high quality trees are collected from exposed sites more vulnerable to weather change and extremes. The aftercare as pointed out is another key factor on freshly damaged roots and or foliage. Local advice is worth obtaining.

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Anybody ever collect in Utah? If so just curious where you collected and what you had to do to obtain permits and permission? I have collected many trees on private property but would start to look for collectible material on public lands.

Top Bottom