National Forest Service Permit

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for the information! I will have to keep looking into it. I am working this summer in the Coconino, Kaibab, and Prescott National Forest's but spend quite a bit of time in the Coronado as well.

Reaction score
I really want to start learning how to collect and the proper way to go about it. I had a permit for up by Lake Tahoe but did not find anything collectable. Hopefully one day I can find a group of people that would like to go collecting and try.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Saw lots of good looking trees in the Tonto Natl Forest. Check that too.
CW
@SkyIslandCoues was up on the rim yesterday. They have Tonto closed down due to high fire danger. Many unpaved roads closed to traffic. Sitgraves open. Spent the day at Willow Springs lake.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
So yesterday I was granted permission to collect multiple, small (under 6 feet) softwood, and hardwood trees. I was told that as long as its for personal use, there wouldn't be a permit fee! :)
I know this was from2019, but can you tell me what agency you contacted and for what area. I am located just an hour or so south of you, if you are in Porterville. I am very interested in trying to obtain permits to legally collect a tree or two

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks for the information! I will have to keep looking into it. I am working this summer in the Coconino, Kaibab, and Prescott National Forest's but spend quite a bit of time in the Coronado as well.
I drove from tempe to grand canyon and Coconino was one of coolest places i ever saw. AZ surprised me. I stopped at rest stop atop hill after Bridge leaving Sedona

Attachments

• 20160224_122918-1.jpg
    20160224_122918-1.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 23

bonsaiwood

Mame
Reaction score
Hello, I know this is an old thread but thought I should bring this conversation back to life. I'm looking to join a small group of hobbyists interested in obtaining transplant permits through the NFS or BLM (not sure which is the easiest) to spend a day in the Central Sierra looking for yamadori. I've had the itch to try this for years but my reluctance to try it alone has kept me grounded. I am located in Sacramento and have plenty of tools plus a mid-size SUV. Not looking to do this for commercial purposes- just a backyard hobbyist looking to add interesting trees to my small collection and, of course, getting the proper permit to do it legally and responsibly. Open to forming a small group as well. Cheers!

Reaction score
Hello, I know this is an old thread but thought I should bring this conversation back to life. I'm looking to join a small group of hobbyists interested in obtaining transplant permits through the NFS or BLM (not sure which is the easiest) to spend a day in the Central Sierra looking for yamadori. I've had the itch to try this for years but my reluctance to try it alone has kept me grounded. I am located in Sacramento and have plenty of tools plus a mid-size SUV. Not looking to do this for commercial purposes- just a backyard hobbyist looking to add interesting trees to my small collection and, of course, getting the proper permit to do it legally and responsibly. Open to forming a small group as well. Cheers!
I’ve been collecting about 7-8 times since 2020 I go to California and collect at least once a year. Send me a pm if you want to talk or possible get a group

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
We have some great bonsai clubs in Sacramento. I've led groups from the Sacramento Bonsai Club and ABAS on collecting trips and hope to do so again next spring. We go to Inyo National Forest and collect Lodgepole, Utah juniper, sagebrush, and others. Also Lotus Bonsai Nursery in Placerville leads an annual collecting trip to Inyo. Every National Forest is different. Inyo issues permits as does El Dorado. Stanislas will not and don't like you asking. I'm told Tahoe doesn't require permits for personal use.

bonsaiwood

Mame
Reaction score
I’ve been collecting about 7-8 times since 2020 I go to California and collect at least once a year. Send me a pm if you want to talk or possible get a group
Tried sending you a PM but because I'm new to BN, I need to have at least 10 messages recorded on the forum before I can send PM's. would love to discuss this further.

bonsaiwood

Mame
Reaction score
We have some great bonsai clubs in Sacramento. I've led groups from the Sacramento Bonsai Club and ABAS on collecting trips and hope to do so again next spring. We go to Inyo National Forest and collect Lodgepole, Utah juniper, sagebrush, and others. Also Lotus Bonsai Nursery in Placerville leads an annual collecting trip to Inyo. Every National Forest is different. Inyo issues permits as does El Dorado. Stanislas will not and don't like you asking. I'm told Tahoe doesn't require permits for personal use.
Does one need to become a registered member of SBC or ABAS to sign up for one of your events? I'm interested in joining a group and making a trip or two next year. Thanks for the insightful information regarding permits. Inyo NF is a beautiful place.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Does one need to become a registered member of SBC or ABAS
Yes. I limit to club members. ABAS meets the fourth Tuesday of the month at Shepard Garden and Arts Center. SBC is on summer hiatus but starts again in Sept. meeting on the second Mondays at the Sacramento Buddhist Church. Visitors are always welcome at both clubs.

jradics

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
They need to save them for the fires ? Funny how that happens... they won't let anyone collect one or two trees, then just like clockwork, 20,000 acres of said material burns each year. I was just up biking in a National Forest the other day where they don't allow collection permits. They were bulldozing a new firebreak. About three miles long - a strip bulldozed right through the middle of the forest.

But no, you can't collect a single tree.
typical government. the cool thing to do would be mark the bull dozer path and give two weeks for people to save what they can

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
typical government. the cool thing to do would be mark the bull dozer path and give two weeks for people to save what they can
The government is not cool. It never will be (and shouldn't be, as that is a subjective, movable goal. It has rules that take time to change by design. Rules wouldn't be rules --or laws--if they could change immediately at the whim of a few). As such, it typically acts with a hammer, when a scalpel may be required. That's not going to change. Government has the problem of having to deal with the worst intentioned people, as well as honest people. The worst always screws the best. That 's happened with Ginseng and other forest products in the Appalachians. Unscrupulous a-holes taking everything they can without regard for anything else but themselves.

Top Bottom