Native acacia

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I found this Acacia redolens at a local nursery. I liked the thick trunk & brought it home. I did a mild pruning & will let it recover.

Attachments

• 0709219E-17F5-434C-963A-46CC8BD32EA0.jpeg
    0709219E-17F5-434C-963A-46CC8BD32EA0.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 1A190EF4-249C-4B24-A642-FC4F4A500875.jpeg
    1A190EF4-249C-4B24-A642-FC4F4A500875.jpeg
    320.5 KB · Views: 49
  • A92EF7C1-E69C-4C9A-ADD8-EAF0267E5819.jpeg
    A92EF7C1-E69C-4C9A-ADD8-EAF0267E5819.jpeg
    185.7 KB · Views: 54

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I just buried this with a stupid picture of my kiln.

🤓

Nice Tree!

Are Acacias fussy?

(Bump)

AZ Newb

Sapling
Reaction score
I found this Acacia redolens at a local nursery. I liked the thick trunk & brought it home. I did a mild pruning & will let it recover.
So what would be the next step? Do you leave in nursery pot and soil for a while?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Not just an Australian native. That one is a West Australian. Maybe it will like the dry climate in Az.

There are a huge number of Aussie acacias so there is also a huge range of shapes, sizes and hardiness. They are generally tough but much depends on the climate and soil they come from which extends from sub-alpine through arid and into tropical. Many make great garden plants but only a very few seem to co-operate in pots for me. A few are long lived but most are fairly short lived pioneer species.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
There are flower buds on some at the nursery, this one didn’t. I have killed other trees that I pruned branches & roots at the same time so this time I will try just the branches first & leave in existing soil.
With my luck this will be one that doesn’t like a pot. I couldn’t find any info on it as a bonsai, only as a ground plant.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You should be able to find a Huisache, the local Indian? name for Acacia farnesiana, Sweet Acacia, now Vachellia farnesiana...
Hu post 052120.JPG
Desert Feather Bush...
Desert Featherbush 2005.JPG
There are a ton of Mesquite varieties in the SW and Big Basin Sage is all over the place so start collecting! Jade, Portulacaria and Desert Rose can take heat and are not damaged by drying out, so there's lots of stuff pretty standard that will do well in the great SW.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I can´t find much info either, aside from one or two Acacia species that are known to perform well as bonsai(A. howitii springs to mind) people are still trying to figure them out. It will either be bomb proof or temporamental.
I have a A. salignia that has handled everything I´ve chucked at it and it´s a real agressive grower yet I have had other acacia species that did not like anything I did to them. That prostrate one you have looks interesting, may be able to use that to give it a natural weeping look. If you do leave root work for a season then just make sure you don´t cut them too early, I normallywait until early summer to do mine.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have a Rabbit's Foot Acacia. Made it through it's first winter inside. Looking pretty straggly though.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks for all the feedback on this plant. It is hard to find small native trees for sale. I’m told the large growers that would have them don’t do retail sales. you have to buy a 5, 10 or 15 gallon tree that is a tall stick & risk death with a trunk chop.

Top Bottom