Native Hackberry

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WtaM48Jnrk

This is a great tree, and what we have been doing down here is looking for the one that can go dormant without needed cold, just shorter days.
The Chinese hackberry grows down here with no need for cold.

Noted in the video, the wood will rot and the trees can regrow from roots.

In memory -

http://i26.servimg.com/u/f26/15/66/48/20/celtis10.jpg

Somehow dried out in the refridgerator, but a root regrew. This one was special because it showed signs of going tropical.[ 1980 until 2008 or so ]
Good Day.
Anthony

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Why did it dry Anthony? You did not water it? I plan to go that way too with my white pines...but in a deep freezer with a glass on top. Any advise?
I like best Celtis Africana.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello Neli,

yes, it must have gone dry for too long. Normally in the refridgerator, plants are checked punctually every two weeks.

Would have shifted to the Celtis c., but the owner refuses to propagate.
Guess he wants to feel special?

Listen, the fridge that is used, is set to vegetable crisper temperature, and a ginkgo also winters with the celtis. So check that you really need to go lower than 0 deg.C, seeing that you hope to use a freezer.

You may also wish to try and grow the clippings from your white pines, since they would be acclimated to your climate.
Graft onto J.B.pines ?
Good Day
Anthony

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Thanks Anthony,
Dont tell me I have to put my ginkgo in the fridge too. May O my! I did not know that! I bought the most beautiful ginkgo in Japan. It is coming end of the month hopefully. Chose it out of 500 trees...with a good taper and twisted trunk and no scars...Now You are telling me it is a fridge candidate...
When do You keep them in the fridge? During your winter, or their native winter? How long do you keep them for?
Do You put them directly in the fridge or you do some kind of acclimatization...Maybe like that gentleman said...first for a month at night only...and then for 3-4 month in the fridge.
Maybe to put them in the fridge at higher temperature only, and then start reducing it...slowly???Yo u will have to check all my trees when they come...and tell me which need fridge...
Has any one in Southern California grown a ginkgo without a fridge?

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Can you grow white pine cuttings? I have seen JBP cuttings but not JWP.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello Neli,

don't sweat. What is done down here is very simple, by Christmas, most of the trees are dormant, including the local tropicals. By the last week in January, in the evening, the trees are taken out of their pots, and the roots ball soaked. Next the root section is placed in a bag, and the neck is tied. Trees are then simply packed into the fridge, on the existing shelves and the door closed. The fridge is then turned on.

The same weather change should happen by you, naturally.

The dormant state is induced by the shorter days / light and the drop in temperature. On our side it is slight, 19 to 18 deg.C, you will be down to 6 deg.C [ correct?]

Plants are checked in the evening, every two weeks and watered if needed.

Removal from the refrigerator is an easy date to remember April 1st. in the evening. Repotted and put in shade [ no sun ] until buds start up, usually another 3 to 4 weeks and then dappled light for a week, finally full sun.

They rest from January's end until May's beginning.

The trident maple [ 17 years ] was lost because, it was assumed it needed a very moist soil, had a 6.5 cm trunk. very sad.

Remember for these trees top height is 39 cm, only so much space height wise in the fridge.

With the J.W.P you can try cuttings, or try to graft on J.B.pine seedlings.
Good Day
Anthony

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Hello Neli,

don't sweat. What is done down here is very simple, by Christmas, most of the trees are dormant, including the local tropicals. By the last week in January, in the evening, the trees are taken out of their pots, and the roots ball soaked. Next the root section is placed in a bag, and the neck is tied. Trees are then simply packed into the fridge, on the existing shelves and the door closed. The fridge is then turned on.

The same weather change should happen by you, naturally.

The dormant state is induced by the shorter days / light and the drop in temperature. On our side it is slight, 19 to 18 deg.C, you will be down to 6 deg.C [ correct?]

Plants are checked in the evening, every two weeks and watered if needed.

Removal from the refrigerator is an easy date to remember April 1st. in the evening. Repotted and put in shade [ no sun ] until buds start up, usually another 3 to 4 weeks and then dappled light for a week, finally full sun.

They rest from January's end until May's beginning.

The trident maple [ 17 years ] was lost because, it was assumed it needed a very moist soil, had a 6.5 cm trunk. very sad.

Remember for these trees top height is 39 cm, only so much space height wise in the fridge.

With the J.W.P you can try cuttings, or try to graft on J.B.pine seedlings.
Good Day
Anthony
I dont have that many trees. I can put them in the pots, standing next to each other...will that be OK? Deep freezers are deep...or I can build a cold room for them maybe??? Now my life is truly becoming complicated...I wish I new about the ginkgo... But my trees have not arrived yet...Maybe I can ask them to change it...

Last edited:

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Neli,

chuckle. Just look for one of those half sized refridgerators, you know the ones used in student dorm rooms.

The gingko should be just fine in the fridge. Stop worrying so much.
Good Day
Anthony

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Neli,

chuckle. Just look for one of those half sized refridgerators, you know the ones used in student dorm rooms.

The gingko should be just fine in the fridge. Stop worrying so much.
Good Day
Anthony
Anthony,
I am not putting it in the fridge...I just remembered a friend of mine has one very big one in a 50 liter pot...I shall try my luck with it. I am going to call her and confirm that it was really a ginkgo...I saw,

Top Bottom