Native Species Only

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I can only say that I chopped these suckers loose from the interwoven mat of the floor of the grove, they didn't have many roots and survived anyway. None were bigger than a half inch because of the difficultly going much deeper than just those on top. They seem to grow pretty fast in-spite of starting with very little roots. They are arranged in a forest pot now with good soil and room to grow and I will feed them like football players.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Resurrection of this thread to discuss yellow birch. Has anyone had long time success with yellow birch specifically ? How did it respond after collection or if you’re developing from nursery stock how did that go? I have two yellow birch in a forest comp .. but they seem to be slow to wake up and the one has a few buds opening while the other has some unfurled leaves already.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Btw I have most of these native species in my collection in development or as collected material.
Tamarack
White Oak
American Hornbeam
American Beech
Smooth Alder
Pitch Pine
Black Spruce
Red Maple
Wild Crab Apple
Short Leaf Pine
Yellow Birch

Collecting Pine Pine hopefully next weekend. On list for next year would be duh more Pitch , Spruce , Hornbeam , Honeysuckle (naturalized invasive) , Alder, Dogwood , Hawthorn , Grape. I agree with getting your hands on Nick Lenz’s book, it has become my bonsai bible

Top Bottom