"Natives", a special exhibit at Pacific Bonsai Museum. Apr 8 - Oct 8, 2017

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Make sure you check out this exhibit at Pacific Bonsai Museum in Seattle! Definitely worth a trip out to the Northwest if you don't already live there!

Pacific-Bonsai-Museum_Natives_Mt-Rainier-crop.jpg

Exhibit Summary
As artistic representations of trees, bonsai are collected from the wild to be cultivated as works of art. While the natural forces that shaped the tree are visibly echoed in its trunk and branches, the direct link between a bonsai and its native habitat has been lost. By displaying a tree with a portrait of its native domain along with herbaceous plants from the same environment, Natives reestablishes this connection between a bonsai and its habitat.

American landscapes, painted by contemporary artist Iuna Tinta, serve as artistic representations of a bonsai’s indigenous ecosystem. Trees from Pacific Bonsai Museum are joined with those of bonsai artists Scott Elser, Michael Hagedorn, Randy Knight, Ryan Neil, & Dan Robinson, all of whom champion the use of native trees as bonsai.

Completing each display are accent plantings by kusamono artist Young Choe and bonsai potter Vicki Chamberlain. Native plants from the featured habitats fill each container which themselves are made from minerals collected from the same region.

Each of these elements combine to create a holistic representation of a precise location.

These unique vistas demonstrate how strongly plants and people are intertwined as each artist and bonsai reflect the influence of a distinct landscape. Natives celebrates the diversity of North American trees and the unique terrains that shape them and us.

On view April 8 - October 8, 2017

Pacific-Bonsai-Museum_Natives_Mt-Wilbur.jpg

About Pacific Bonsai Museum

Nestled amidst towering conifers, Pacific Bonsai Museum features traditional and contemporary bonsai with the elegance of a fine art museum. The Museum displays 60 bonsai and boasts the most diverse collection in the United States. Open to the public six days a week with admission by donation, this cultural gem offers group tours, education and special events to more than 35,000 visitors annually from all 50 states and 48 countries.

Address: 2515 S 336th Street on the former Weyerhaeuser Campus in Federal Way, WA 98003
Mailing: PO Box 6108, Federal Way, WA 98063
Phone: 253.353.7345
Email: info@pacificbonsaimuseum.org

Hours: 10AM - 4PM Tuesday - Sunday, closed Monday

10AM - 7PM third Thursdays of the month, March - September

Pacific-Bonsai-Museum_Natives_Maroon-Bells.jpg

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I visited the museum a couple of years ago when I had some extra time on a business trip. It was well worth it. I wouldn't hesitate to visit again if I ever get another chance.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Ive seen the tour on the mirai stream, it is absolutly beautifull.

Grant Hamby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If anyone wants a specific photo, I'll be at the exhibit in about 45 minutes, lol.

Top Bottom