Natural Nebari

esteve59

Yamadori
Reaction score
I believe these are American Beech....they are a native variety here in Maryland.....the one hanging from the hill is about 5-6 feet wide.
Actually I am not 100% sure wether they are American Hornbeam or Beech.....

Attachments

• 0204081251.jpg
    0204081251.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 159
  • 0105081243.jpg
    0105081243.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 154

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those are definitely beech. Hornbeam tends to grow in moist bottomlands near streams. Beech grow in more upland locations that are better drained.

Colorado Slim

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
outstanding... you're not considering trying to collect this big guy are you?

esteve59

Yamadori
Reaction score
ha,ha...I have fantasized about collecting it but,,,,they are too big for me.
I have collected about a dozen smaller trees and I must say they are doing really well.
They are fairly quick growing....
Mostly they grow as understory trees but I have found they can handle full sun as well.

Reaction score
the one hanging off the hill I'll take if you don't !!! Only joking, wouldn't survive here anyways... Nice pics...
Is inspiring though, perhaps you could refrence it, in the creation of one of your bonsai ???

Colorado Slim

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
nah I think you should go get it... a backhoe, half-a-dozen friends with strong backs and a cooler of beer, you'll have it out in no time :D

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool trees, I've got my eye on a beech quite like the second one you posted. It's slightly smaller, but growing off the edge of a small hill also. It's gonna take a few years of work in the ground before I'll even worry about the big guys and all the beer.

Dave

Top Bottom