Natural Raft in an industrial park

Rusty Davis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Black locust... I believe. The thorns are in pairs. I started playing with one but it was evicted after the first year. I just wasn't feeling it

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Black locust... I believe. The thorns are in pairs. I started playing with one but it was evicted after the first year. I just wasn't feeling it
I took some early season cuttings of a Honey Locust (no thorns, smaller and tighter leaves) that is out front, this year...
Doing well so far...we'll see.
I love the bark on them.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
I love the sweet scented flowers of the ones in my yard and their natural tendency for dying back and making elegant jins and sharis. I don't think I've ever seen a natural raft before. Thanks for posting.

Rusty Davis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a hiking trail that has a ton of black locust and some honey/golden locust. If the weather would get a little better I'll go for a walk and see if I can get some good pics. My fat dog needs it anyway

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here's the one in my front yard, the largest limb broke off in a storm a few years ago, and fell on my old car, while a friend and I stood there and watched....
It has many new shoots on the trunk now, underneath where it broke off.
1493476030468-1605540832.jpg 1493476102947345560060.jpg 1493476168044735934009.jpg

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Here are couple in my front yard (along with my butt-head neighbors house).
IMG_0885.JPG
And some more young ones that came up from roots of a dead one, getting ready to bloom. I love the slanting although I doubt my yard guy does. IMG_0886.JPG

There are better ones I look forward to seeing on my drive to and from work.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Black locust seem to have crazy vigor! I cut a few fairly big ones down in my yard, used some of the trunks as garden borders, one threw out branches and started growing! I was amazed to say the least, a 6' section of trunk sprouting branches.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Have anyone ever tried to digg one of them up?
How do they respond?
I have done so (however I am not quite sure about it being a locust...) last November. It was an offspring shoot from a trees root, with diam. of the trunk at the base 2-3cm.
There were not many roots. But based on the fact that those are kind of invasive trees around here, I thought it would make it. But I was fooled.

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Black locust seem to have crazy vigor! I cut a few fairly big ones down in my yard, used some of the trunks as garden borders, one threw out branches and started growing! I was amazed to say the least, a 6' section of trunk sprouting branches.

They have planted thousands of black locust in Africa to slow the Sahara Desert from spreading do to deforestation for firewood. The black locust are used to hold the soil and fix nitrogen for other plants. Their fast growth and ability to resprout also allows for the locals to cut them for firewood with little impact to the planted areas.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Here are couple in my front yard (along with my butt-head neighbors house).
View attachment 143288
And some more young ones that came up from roots of a dead one, getting ready to bloom. I love the slanting although I doubt my yard guy does. View attachment 143289

There are better ones I look forward to seeing on my drive to and from work.

Glad I snapped this pic when I did as the combined weight of the flowers and heavy rain last night brought the two closest trees down. I knew their lean was precarious and thought about building props for them last year but as usual decided to roll the dice, and lost. May still be able to pull them back up this weekend. That or pull them out. Oh well everything is temporary even bonsai.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is a sycamore raft at White Clay Creek.Looks to have been there awhile from the looks of the roots that had emerged and grew into the earth.Was a fallen tree.
Can see it growing out over the creek.Way cool.
Roots in second picture.
IMG_0596.JPG IMG_0597.JPG

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here is a sycamore raft at White Clay Creek.Looks to have been there awhile from the looks of the roots that had emerged and grew into the earth.Was a fallen tree.
Can see it growing out over the creek.Way cool.
Roots in second picture.
View attachment 144491 View attachment 144492
That's a nice one! There is a Tulip Poplar like that nearby, I should go get pics...

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Love that pic of the sycamore roots!

This thread isn't about my stupid Locust trees, but regardless I've made props for them from oak and got them back on their "feet". If it works they will have to be there almost indefinitely. I was going for Japanese garden but probably stopped at ghetto fabulous, as usual. Otherwise they well may end up becoming raft style trees (there, I tied back into the thread topic).IMG_4609.JPG IMG_4610.JPG

Top Bottom