Nature is strange...

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
My husband came home from a shoot and dropped his gear. He looked out the French doors adjacent to the back door and saw something he'd never seen before. He grabbed his camera and shot through a glass pane in the French door. We thought it would end in certain carnage. I couldn't watch.hawk 1.jpghawk 2.jpghawk 3.jpg

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Wowee! Do you get sparrow hawks in Florida? I think even they know their limitations. What amazing pictures.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
its as if the squirrel stood up to appear taller, while the hawk was sizing him up and thought better of it! cool shot! I love nature😍

did the squirrel wait for the hawk to fly away before turning its back? and what did Mr pig have to say about all this drama?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That's a pretty cool series of pictures
I think the hawk could take that squirrel if it wanted to.

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Wow, you don't get pictures like that everyday! The squirrel would be too nimble for the hawk to catch from a standstill without any dive speed behind the attack, so it clearly knew not to even try. Very cool shots.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
That's a pretty cool series of pictures
I think the hawk could take that squirrel if it wanted to.
That's a Coopers hawk. The hawk could not only take the squirrel it often will. We've seen occasional squirrels who've been disemboweled by either an owl or a hawk. I've seen hawks during the day casually crushing their prey in their claw waiting for it to die before they eat it. It's so disturbing to see them sitting beneath a tree in broad daylight acting as though 'Don't look here, there's nothing happening." Cool and calm.

This squirrel must have been a baby or not too bright. No normal squirrel would do that!

We never see squirrels out at night here because of the owls. I'm going to put up an owl box this year. I love hearing them at night with the cicadas in the background. It's a haunting sound.

The pig was a gift and is bigger than it looks. We always ask a two year old in the neighborhood if they want to see our pig and they climb on and giggle! From then on they come to ride the pig.

I have to keep the cushions on the chairs up. I looked out one day and a squirrel was lounging on one like it was his living room sofa. We have a half dozen bird feeders underneath the eaves there and get wonderful birds but it attracts squirrels because of the food they kick out.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Thank you Jaco94. This is what we do for a living.

I made an incredibly rude and embarrassing error. I posted this photos before they were embedded with a copyright and feel terrible about it. I'll repost them tomorrow and I ask that if you use them on social media you post them with the copyright. They belong to my husband and I don't know what I was thinking doing that. I sincerely feel terrible about it.

We don't post our images on social media...ever. They're copyright protected even without the mark but I can't believe I did that without thinking. For whatever reason I had it in my mind that I was sharing them with the people on Bonsainut only. I was tired and not thinking. We don't mind sharing these but they should be properly credited always.

Bosco Seitzer

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You're good these guys are pretty chill.

but seriously there is a large number of Terabytes of good photos on here with very little consideration for protection.

Javaman4373

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like a Sharp-shinned Hawk to me. Very similar to a Coopers, but smaller.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Great shots, and cool backyard/patio. I have actually seen this same thing behind my house. A smaller hawk (sharp shinned?) just watching the squirrels play around 4 feet away

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Here is a Coopers Hawk for comparison.
You might want to watch this short video. If this were a sharpie, it would make him the size of a blue jay. We get Coopers hawks in Florida in this area commonly. They are KNOWN to go where songbirds hang out (multitude of bird feeders) and we live across from a lake. Lots of food and water. Watch this. This is a Cooper Hawk.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
The other morning.
View attachment 394653

And since this fits the title I can delete this one too!
View attachment 394655

We steal trees not pictures 🤣!

Sorce
It's not about stealing it's simply about respect. We copyright our photos. It showed a tremendous lack of respect of me not to. It's that simple.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think the hawk could take that squirrel if it wanted to
Yes for sure……..sqirrels are not the most agressive or ferocious actually………I have seen cats in my yard choose them for dinner like no problem whatsoever…………

Top Bottom