Nature is strange...

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
We see this same variety of hawk commonly in our neighborhood. Some are quite large. If we didn't see them in a variety of sizes I might go with Sharpie but it's a Cooper's. Only someone that knows how to distinguish based on tail size and shape and several other differences like the coloring on their chest etc...can tell the difference. Also, it's a small squirrel which is why I think he's so friendly. He's probably not experienced with a predator.

We get big squirrels and my husband feeds one from his hand. She sits and waits for him. She was pregnant recently. He feeds her cashews and pecans... Maybe this was one of her babies and maybe the hawk is a youngster too.

Stuff happens and to have that kind of camera on hand is something fortunate. People use phones and sometimes you can get decent pictures with a phone. Use what you have.

Dzhokar

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Wow, great pictures.
Gotta wonder what goes on in those squirrely brains. lol

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
He looked out the French doors adjacent to the back door and saw something he'd never seen before.

Wow ! Amazing, stupendous, magnificent, extraordinary.

See how French doors love you, my American friend 😄

Great encounter, great pics, thanks for sharing. ☮️

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I forgot about this already, but I'm glad someone dug it up. It's just that cool.

Wow, great pictures.
Gotta wonder what goes on in those squirrely brains. lol
I think it's one of those general understandings in the wild world that anything THAT crazy is better left alone. LOL

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
No evidence but last year I had an huge owl swoop down on one my benches and eat a mouse about 2 feet from me and then just sit there and enjoy the meal. Scared me to death but did not have any concern about me being there. Also odd that I never saw the mouse before hand. The owl was nice enough to not break any branches.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
A Hummer got trapped in my greenhouse today. I had a hard time getting him back out. I propped the door open but he kept flying up at the glass and ignoring the door. I finally had to open the roof a little and he found his way out.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Immature Coopers or Sharp-shinned and highly unlikely to take after that squirrel unless experienced. If not grabbed in the right place by the hawk, that squirrel could lop off toes or even a leg pretty fast with those teeth. Hawks not stupid.

Wonderful photography!

Top Bottom