Natures way nursery tour

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
We went up to see my wife's family and knowing what was near I made a visit. There was a lot of tree's for sure! Lots to look through and enjoy- This first tree was 25k and was slightly disappointing because it didn't have a 25k quality to it. While wired it wasn't "refined" very well and the deadwood was rotten in a lot of places and not cleaned, as well as a few scale foliage spots. I know it will be nice to do that yourself and give it your touch, but other then it's size-at least 3 people or two strong guys to move it- It didn't seem to warrant the $
0905151031.jpg

This was my favorite tree there, and it was styled by Walter Paul. I'm not sure the price but this flexis spoke to me! It was big to, really big! The dead wood really need attention too-it was starting to get spongy.
0905151102.jpg 0905151102a.jpg 0905151102b.jpg

Pondy that caught my eye! 0905151112.jpg

Another massive juniper of some type, cant remember.
0905151127.jpg

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
more random shots
0905151028.jpg 0905151028a.jpg 0905151029.jpg 0905151034.jpg 0905151041.jpg

The Spruce in the front really caught my eye but it was in the no sale section-which happened to be half the nursery to my frustration.
0905151041a.jpg

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
0905151047.jpg
All in all it was fun too look around- But the whole price theme seemed to be all over the place. Some stuff was price well and then some was through the roof-or it wasn't for sale. I wanted a J. white Pine or a trident but there where no JWP at all and no Tridents worth picking up either cuz it was bad material or not for sale. I walked away with a few shimpaku for grafting and shohin projects. All in all-fun but not what I expected, as everything I wanted shocked me for the price or wasn't for sale.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
25K is the "it's not for sale", but "it can be bought" price.

I asked Jim about it and he said that was the actual price. Forget to mention I watched him style a spruce secretly while pretending to look at a bonsai magazine lol-He was very nice while I spoke to him briefly- so was the help.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What trees did you get that warranted the price? Pics?

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
What trees did you get that warranted the price? Pics?

I just picked up shimpaku whips for grafting foliage n such but I was ready to spend around 300$'ish for a JWP or trident, but I don't just buy to have that species. I didn't see anything that spoke to be or had good bones, though I almost did pick up a larch and beech. Don't get me wrong there is a lot of good material just nothing that spoke to me for my wants right now.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just picked up shimpaku whips for grafting foliage n such but I was ready to spend around 300$'ish for a JWP or trident, but I don't just buy to have that species. I didn't see anything that spoke to be or had good bones, though I almost did pick up a larch and beech. Don't get me wrong there is a lot of good material just nothing that spoke to me for my wants right now.

I think you will be hard pressed to find JWP at that price point, or at least anything worthwhile. A decent trident should be obtainable. Thanks for sharing the pics.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the tour. Haven't been there for a few years. My recollection is that, as with most places, there are things that are reasonably priced, even bargains...and others that leave you scratching your head. Overall, a fun place to look around and imagine the possibilities...

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
For what it's worth, Julian Adams has a few nice tridents for sale in that price range. Or at least he did a few weeks ago.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I think you will be hard pressed to find JWP at that price point, or at least anything worthwhile. A decent trident should be obtainable. Thanks for sharing the pics.

I was looking for a shohin, not anything large and even rough material with good bones would be nice. I'm thinking of selling/trading my tropical for one.

For what it's worth, Julian Adams has a few nice tridents for sale in that price range. Or at least he did a few weeks ago.

I'm not actively searching for one-but if I do come across one I would scoop it up-Thanks though!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I was there last weekend myself. First and foremost, Jim Doyle is a wonderful human. I was on limited time and he made the most of my visit with a guided tour of the things that interested me the most, namely a vast collection of historic bonsai pots. All I can say is WOW! Thank you Jim, I had a great time!

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nothing against Jim, his nursery or the material but I was up there in June and I'll never go back again unless I know for sure that everything on display in the "Sale Area" is available to purchase. I had plenty of cash in my pocket and everything single thing I really wanted to buy had someone's name on it or was marked "NFS".

Top Bottom