NBF World Bonsai Day demo--Chase Rosade forest redesign

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just got back a bit ago. No vendor tent this year, instead the vendors are in the building and courtyard area right outside where the former koi pond is. I don't recall all the vendors, but Meehans, Bonsai Learning Center, Superfly Bonsai, Dave Paris, and I think Pauline Muth. A couple of potters I didn't recognize, and a few other vendors. Unfortunately, another year that local vendors like Adams, Natures Way, Ron Lang, etc. didn't attend.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, guys I actually meant to write that I was going on Sunday and @VAFisher No friggin' way! I was totally going to make the trip specifically for BC, hornbeam and hemlock

Also, just remembered I told my girlfriend I'd take her to lunch on sunday, gahhhh. Guess I'll write this one off

I think I saw one BC in a pot, a few hornbeams, but no hemlocks.

Reactions: GGB

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm hunting for a small jbp to learn on.

A few vendors had smaller JBPs. But, if I remember correctly, these were $100-150. You could get similar stock in 3-5 years buying inexpensive seedlings from Matt Ouwinga and using the colander method.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Now I feel guilty ... there are still trees, pots, etc., to be had, and it only takes one that you like to make it worthwhile. There just doesn’t seem to be as much as there used to be. There. That feels better.

Reactions: GGB

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Plenty of vendors with supplies, so that's always a plus. In terms of stock, unfortunately as with most of the PBA shows, you either find very young starter stock that will take years to grow out and develop, or there are "developed" trees in pots that go for quite a bit of money -- not much in between which is where I prefer to shop.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Well, Meehan’s is always there with the largest amount of stock of anyone, including lots of little starters plus quite a few decent pre-bonsai nursery trees at very reasonable prices. Others do have some expensive material, but I used to be able to typically find a juniper or two in a nursery pot at the sweet spot between potential and affordable, it just seems to not happen as often recently. Maybe getting there earlier, like on Friday, is the key. I always pick up a new pot or two, and maybe a stone or tool, if nothing else. The last couple years I’ve gotten a bag of 50/50 akadama/pumice that I’m experimenting with from one of the vendors.

Then take a leisurely tour of the local club trees and the national collection.

Definitely a day I look forward to every year.

Last edited:

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Just got back a bit ago. No vendor tent this year, instead the vendors are in the building and courtyard area right outside where the former koi pond is. I don't recall all the vendors, but Meehans, Bonsai Learning Center, Superfly Bonsai, Dave Paris, and I think Pauline Muth. A couple of potters I didn't recognize, and a few other vendors. Unfortunately, another year that local vendors like Adams, Natures Way, Ron Lang, etc. didn't attend.
I think there was a debacle last year involving rain/wind and the tent.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
There now. Actually pleased with the vendor area. Dave Paris is here w his whimsical little trees that I love. Natures Way is indeed here with some nice things. The prices for developed trees are not outrageous imo. This is my favorite and one I am actually tempted to drop that kind of money on. It could go places.
B6C7A5D7-B101-4E25-B2FC-F6C95FB3675E.jpeg

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There now. Actually pleased with the vendor area. Dave Paris is here w his whimsical little trees that I love. Natures Way is indeed here with some nice things. The prices for developed trees are not outrageous imo. This is my favorite and one I am actually tempted to drop that kind of money on. It could go places.
View attachment 195972
Hmm where was Natures Way? I must have missed them. Is that a Colorado Blue Spruce? I think I saw it yesterday, is a really nice tree.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Natures way was in the far right back corner of the indoor vendor room. I bought some scissors from them. Jim Doyle was judging the exhibits.

That was a spruce of some sort but I don’t think blue. The needles were fairly short.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was up there on Saturday just after nine. I was initially confused by the vendor set up, thinking that all the vendors out on the patio were all of them. Found the vendors inside eventually.

I was happy with most of them and got some nice stuff, particularly from Pauline Muth--nice old, custom Sara Rayner oval and another big Dave Lowman rough crescent bowl to replace the one I smashed this summer with a couch (don't ask). Also picked up a very reasonably priced shohin cork bark elm from Meehans (I think). I know there have been problems with vendor interest in the show--Arb fees, no wifi, and DC taxes make selling stuff there a pain in the ass. I was encouraged by the variety and quality of what was there, a mix of beginner, medium skill and advanced stuff. You have to look at trees carefully. There were a number of very nice stock trees around if you picked stuff up and looked. The elm I got was $100--old bark, a two inch trunk and a lot of branching in a foot tall tree.

Loved the display contest and am surprised no one has posted photos of the more ambitious part of it. I will post what I have in another thread.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
I took some pics ... random parts that interested me. Would like to know the winners. I also pay attention to stands since I’ve begun making them myself, and it appears many people don’t put enough effort or money into getting something appropriately sized or designed (imo) for the tree they display. That may come down to lack of availability or commitment in this country. Overall I thought the displays were far better than last year’s which I believe was the first year they held this competition.

0DD91D60-827E-4209-937F-88368348A660.jpeg7C91FD1B-EB0C-4EE3-92E3-F3C9090B0540.jpeg
The next one I took because the display bothered me so much. The skateboard is ok in and of itself and I get the urban theme, although the tree doesn’t really say “city” to me. The problem was the directionality. The tree is trying to escape the display (perhaps it didn’t like it either). Worse the meticulously arranged gravel around the skateboard seemingly specifically intended to convey direction actually went in two different directions. I didn’t get it.
BCAA240D-E18D-49C5-9B43-60D2E0250899.jpeg7A1F1543-1255-47CE-9AB8-4EBC74FD373D.jpeg94249B54-4B2F-446D-BF15-C27652F59587.jpeg

Attachments

• 8C54A273-0997-4FC7-969D-3B45C742191C.jpeg
    8C54A273-0997-4FC7-969D-3B45C742191C.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I posted a separate thread on the Gardens Unlimited wall. They were not part of the display competition, from what I understand. The directionality of the gravel on the skateboard can be interpreted as many things. I have a feeling I know what the displayers (I've known them 20 years) had in mind, but hey, interpretation is up to the viewer.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Do you mean the displays in the center section which included placards and had paintings in the background? It wasn’t clear if they were different somehow or not.

I certainly didn’t mean to insult anyone with my criticism of the skateboard display and I agree the gravel can be interpreted in different ways, but I can’t find one that is self-consistent - is it a shadow? Is it a trail? Oh well, regardless there was very nice attention to detail there. The color of the skateboard actually works well with the painting.

I will look for your other post.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
1650 for a spruce,nice stock,but much more then im willing to pay

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you mean the displays in the center section which included placards and had paintings in the background? It wasn’t clear if they were different somehow or not.

I certainly didn’t mean to insult anyone with my criticism of the skateboard display and I agree the gravel can be interpreted in different ways, but I can’t find one that is self-consistent - is it a shadow? Is it a trail? Oh well, regardless there was very nice attention to detail there. The color of the skateboard actually works well with the painting.

I will look for your other post.
Oh, no insult taken. The entire wall with the paintings and placards was sponsored by Gardens Unlimited. I heard they were not part of the overall competition. Interpretation is up to the viewer. There is no "right" or "wrong" to it. I see a message of going against the flow in that skateboard piece, but that's just me. The attention to detail is nice.

As for the stands, having displayed in that competition once, I can say the Arb and museum are very very generous in loaning what they have out to exhibitors for shows. That explains why some stands don't exactly "fit" the trees on them. Stands are expensive, extremely fine stands are VERY expensive. I like some of the stands that are being made by U.S. artisans, however, SOME of that is either too unrefined, or overdone, very little in between...

Top Bottom