NC Bonsai expo in Asheville, NC

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Every second weekend in October, the NC Arboretum hosts the NC Bonsai Expo, which is the best annual show in the SE USA http://www.ncarboretum.org/exhibits/outdoors-2/bonsai/
I'm planning on being there, hopefully with a tree or two in the show... any other folks from the nut house making the trip?

Dave

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm going to be in Boone, NC that weekend and I think my wife and I are going to make the trek to Ashville on Saturday. Never been there before, but I'm hoping there will be some nice tropical material I can pick up.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I'll be there with some of my minis.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm going to be in Boone, NC that weekend and I think my wife and I are going to make the trek to Ashville on Saturday. Never been there before, but I'm hoping there will be some nice tropical material I can pick up.

If you will be within a few hours drive...and you're into bonsai....you've got to get there. Loads of great trees to stare at, top notch vendors with everything from plant material (tropicals...maybe) to pots and tools, rumor has it Peter Adams is the guest artist and Judge, and the arboretum is worth the visit all by itself. Hope to see you there.

Last edited:

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If you will be within a few hours drive...and you're into bonsai....you've got to get there. Loads of great trees to stare at, top notch vendors with everything from plant material (tropicals...maybe), rumor has it Peter Adams is the guest artist and Judge, and the arboretum is worth the visit all by itself. Hope to see you there.

Something extraordinary would have to happen for me to NOT show up. We'll just have to see how tolerant my wife will be about wandering around. She loves to look at bonsai displays, but her patience wans when I spend 2 hours to pick out one tree to buy...

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Dave,

I will be there for an as yet undetermined time on an as yet undetermined day. I am hoping that I will be there all day Saturday and most of Sunday. Hope to see you there.

Regards,
Martin

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Dave,

I will be there for an as yet undetermined time on an as yet undetermined day. I am hoping that I will be there all day Saturday and most of Sunday. Hope to see you there.

Regards,
Martin

Cool. I'll be in touch so we can set up a meeting, I hope...looking forward to meeting you and your maples....maybe catching a sox game with a beer:cool:.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I'll be there as well. Anyone have info on the workshops?? The list of clubs and vendors has been released -- but am interested in the workshop, demos and auctions. See y'all there.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I will be there for the 17th straight year! at least I think that 17 is correct...I don't remember if it started in 96 or 97....maybe its 18??

Officially it is the Carolina Bonsai Expo...no need to mess it up with that other word:)

Yes, Peter Adams is the guest artist...This will be his third visit. I spoke to Arthur this week and he was working on getting the info together for the workshops and such....just stayed tuned! He typically makes the workshops available to members of participating clubs before they are opened to the general public(in appreciation for their participation). I suspect there will be a demo on Sat with Peter and most likely a workshop with him on Sunday. Sat night will be the tree critique with Peter and club members. Arthur, Ken and I will do a demo on Sun. afternoon.

I read recently that Owen Reich will be doing some sort of presentation on display. There will be 15 clubs with displays setup...should be around 100 trees or more....plus of course the arboretum collection.

Ken Duncan and I will have lots of trees and material for sale in the vendors area...along with about a dozen other vendors. Julian Adams will be making his first appearance as a vendor this year.

I certainly agree with Dave...it is the event not to be missed in the Southeast.

I hope you can make it! And, please look me up and say hello...I will be there all weekend.

John

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
It is my plan to be there. I look forward to seeing and meeting those who show up.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If you will be within a few hours drive...and you're into bonsai....you've got to get there. Loads of great trees to stare at, top notch vendors with everything from plant material (tropicals...maybe) to pots and tools, rumor has it Peter Adams is the guest artist and Judge, and the arboretum is worth the visit all by itself. Hope to see you there.

All,

Please see e-mail from Arthur Joura below concerning Peter Adams' health and the changes to the Carolina's Bonsai Expo.

Regards,
Martin

To All,

I regret to say I have bad news to deliver - our intended guest artist for the 2013 Carolina Bonsai Expo will not be able to attend. News has come to me that Peter Adams is facing a serious health crisis. He is currently in an Intensive Care Unit in England, according to his wife Kate. At this point his future is uncertain, but it is clear that he will be unable to make it to Asheville next month and has officially cancelled that and all other appearances on his schedule. Please join me in sending your prayers and best thoughts to Peter in hopes that he may survive this illness and fully regain his health.

In times of need we rely on our friends for support. A longtime friend of bonsai at the NC Arboretum has indicated his availability and readiness to help fill the void left by Peter Adams' departure from the 2013 Expo, and I am pleased to announce that Rodney Clemons has accepted my invitation to be our guest artist at this year's event. For people in the Southeast Rodney hardly needs introduction. For those who may not already know of him, Rodney hails from Georgia and has been a bonsai professional for 27 years. He was the special student of Felton Jones, and also studied with John Naka and Yuji Yoshimura . Rodney is a popular instructor and presenter, and has been featured as a guest artist at bonsai venues in Europe and across the United States, including the 1993 World Bonsai Convention, Brussel's Rendezvous on several occasions, and the 2002 Carolina Bonsai Expo. Currently he is curator of the bonsai collections at the Monastery of the Holy Spirit in Conyers, GA, and the Smith-Gilbert Gardens in Kennesaw, GA. Rodney Clemons' knowledge and experience in bonsai are exceeded only by his personal warmth and good nature. He would be an excellent guest artist at any time, but under the current circumstances I am particularly proud to announce his participation.

My intention is to send another message within the next 2 days, to tell you about the programs Rodney will be presenting and to announce when registration for them will open. Despite this unanticipated complication Expo preparations are progressing normally and I expect we will have another great event. Thank you for your participation, and again, please keep Peter Adams in your thoughts.

All best,
Arthur

Last edited:

Dale Cochoy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will be there to ELIMINATE many boxes of bonsai pots plus all my new pots.
If you are looking for a HUGE savings on a Dale pot, this is your chance. I will be having SERIOUS discounts on ALL pots in stock.
Availability depends on whether you get there Friday or Sunday afternoon! ;)

Here are a few from yesterdays kiln opening.

Attachments

• drb lg oval front.jpg
    drb lg oval front.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 26
  • knotted cord cas.jpg
    knotted cord cas.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 21
  • wide rimmed lg unglazed.jpg
    wide rimmed lg unglazed.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If you are looking for a HUGE savings on a Dale pot, this is your chance. I will be having SERIOUS discounts on ALL pots in stock.

I will see you there (early)!!

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Dale, a few weeks ago I went on line looking for a web site for your bonsai studio, but couldn't find anything? Do you have a site on the web?

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have plans to attend this event finally! I have a friend who lives about 30 minutes from where the event is held, so I am going to see them on Saturday, spending the night and I will stop bye the expo Sunday on my way back home! Can't wait to see all the trees and everything. I don't know what to expect as far as what I may want to buy or what will be available from vendors on Sunday so I am not bringing a ton of cash... But if something catches my eye...

Anyway, I just like to check out the trees and meet people so whether I buy something or not, it will be a great experience!

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
I will be there for the 17th straight year! at least I think that 17 is correct...I don't remember if it started in 96 or 97....maybe its 18??

Officially it is the Carolina Bonsai Expo...no need to mess it up with that other word:)

Yes, Peter Adams is the guest artist...This will be his third visit. I spoke to Arthur this week and he was working on getting the info together for the workshops and such....just stayed tuned! He typically makes the workshops available to members of participating clubs before they are opened to the general public(in appreciation for their participation). I suspect there will be a demo on Sat with Peter and most likely a workshop with him on Sunday. Sat night will be the tree critique with Peter and club members. Arthur, Ken and I will do a demo on Sun. afternoon.

I read recently that Owen Reich will be doing some sort of presentation on display. There will be 15 clubs with displays setup...should be around 100 trees or more....plus of course the arboretum collection.

Ken Duncan and I will have lots of trees and material for sale in the vendors area...along with about a dozen other vendors. Julian Adams will be making his first appearance as a vendor this year.

I certainly agree with Dave...it is the event not to be missed in the Southeast.

I hope you can make it! And, please look me up and say hello...I will be there all weekend.

John
My talk will be on traditional and contemporary display then move on to modern display concepts and novel creations to assist in the development of improved displays at this exhibition and others. Had a few glass containers and a stand made and bringing some other examples aside from the Keynote presentation. Before anyone asks, my stance on the matter is right in the middle of copying Japanese displays and using different materials and display elements referencing American history and ideals.

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
It was a great time. picked up a pot or two and spent a good sunday afternoon ribbing Martin Sweeney at the auction. It was a great time and Dale had great pots.

Top Bottom