NC Expo cancelled indefinitely

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
If there isn't, we need one. Probably from the Carolinas south, inclusive of Florida.

Look at the Golden State Bonsai Federation. California is 12% of the country, and granted bonsai interest is stronger on the west coast given the greater Asian influence, but the Federation is a great structure to help clubs, provide educational resources, maintain permanent collections, and organize the larger shows. It is becoming apparent that the Asheville show and the Kannapolis show are both on tenuous footing... because they are labors of love of one or two individuals - instead of the combined efforts of 100's of people.
Florida has the Bonsai Societies of Florida {BSF} - it‘s a very strong umbrella organization with 27 member clubs. I believe it may extend into Louisiana as well, but I’m not sure about that. I believe it’s modeled on GSBF as is the Texas organization, the Lone Star Bonsai Federation. There are a number of Louisiana clubs in LSBF as well as discussions on and off about one or two Oklahoma clubs joining. I’m not aware of any similar governing body in the Carolina’s, Georgia or Tennessee. But given all of the artists that have settled in the region (Bjorn, Danny Coffey, Tyler Sherrod), it is well worth considering.

scott

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Florida has the Bonsai Societies of Florida {BSF} - it‘s a very strong umbrella organization with 27 member clubs. I believe it may extend into Louisiana as well, but I’m not sure about that. I believe it’s modeled on GSBF as is the Texas organization, the Lone Star Bonsai Federation. There are a number of Louisiana clubs in LSBF as well as discussions on and off about one or two Oklahoma clubs joining. I’m not aware of any similar governing body in the Carolina’s, Georgia or Tennessee. But given all of the artists that have settled in the region (Bjorn, Danny Coffey, Tyler Sherrod), it is well worth considering.

scott
GSBF has regions, which helps organize the different groups and keeps the federation from becoming unwieldy. There were even two separate regions for the clubs in LA versus Orange County - when the counties were right next to each other.

More exploration needed here, clearly. Not like I have nothing else going on in my life :)

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It is really unimaginable how much work must go into one of these shows, so I'm not surprised when even long standing shows are cancelling. It does figure though, that now after this (my last working) season, I'll have more time to travel and see them and maybe participate...

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is really unimaginable how much work must go into one of these shows, so I'm not surprised when even long standing shows are cancelling. It does figure though, that now after this (my last working) season, I'll have more time to travel and see them and maybe participate...

What do they say - timing is everything?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
GSBF has regions, which helps organize the different groups and keeps the federation from becoming unwieldy. There were even two separate regions for the clubs in LA versus Orange County - when the counties were right next to each other.

More exploration needed here, clearly. Not like I have nothing else going on in my life :)
BSF has 9 districts, which sounds similar. Many of the districts only have one club, so I’m not sure the thinking is there. LSBF does not have districts, but there are only 8 member clubs, so perhaps it’s not warranted.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I wish the Atlanta Bonsai Society would pick up this show .
Would you want to keep the format where only those affiliated with one of a select group of clubs be allowed to show? Or should it be open to anyone?

Having it be predetermined as to how many clubs will be showing makes it easier to know how to plan. You know how many display tables will be needed.

Having it open to anyone who wants to show requires the individuals to make a reservation in advance. That’s how the Kannapolis Winter Silohette show works. Again, there’s limited space.

It’s not easy, folks!

flor1

Shohin
Reaction score
Would you want to keep the format where only those affiliated with one of a select group of clubs be allowed to show? Or should it be open to anyone?

Having it be predetermined as to how many clubs will be showing makes it easier to know how to plan. You know how many display tables will be needed.

Having it open to anyone who wants to show requires the individuals to make a reservation in advance. That’s how the Kannapolis Winter Silohette show works. Again, there’s limited space.

It’s not easy, folks!
Speaking strickley for myself I would keep the format the same I liked how some of the clubs went outside of the box in their displays.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Speaking strickley for myself I would keep the format the same I liked how some of the clubs went outside of the box in their displays.
That was Arthur’s preference. He strongly encouraged “alternative displays” to the traditional Japanese style display.

My personal view on that is different. I can see where, 20 or 30 years ago, the trees were not as good as they are today. Moving the focus away from the trees themselves to the “display” made up for lesser quality trees. But today, we have progressed in bonsai to where the trees are really good, and any distraction away from the trees is unwarranted, in my opinion.

There’s no right or wrong here, I suppose, just a difference in “point of view”.

Last edited:
Top Bottom