Neagari (Exposed Root) Experiment

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I received my seedlings from Matt Ouwinga (Kaedebonsai-En) today, and I was very happy with the order! The seedlings were 20% off due to a sale, and he sent me almost doulble the bare root seedlings I ordered!!! They were well packed and I am getting the many seedlings ready for a long term exposed root experiment with my club. The process is basically the same as what Johnas did at Bonsai Tonight with these changes:
1. I didn't use large pumice for large size aggregate, I used rocks from my yard.
2. Instead of black, tall plastic planters I am instead using plastic seltzer bottles. These were a good size, and also were clear, so I could check on the progress of the roots.
3. I am targeting Shohin/Kifu size bonsai, so the containers are shorter with a 5 inch or smaller exposed root as the target.
4. Besides JBP, I am also experimenting with Trident Maples, Koto Hime Maple, JRP Toyo Nishiki and Korean Hornbeam.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
First I cut the top off of the bottles and left the wrapper on to protect from the light. I drilled holes in the bottom of the bottle for drainage.
IMG_2223.JPG
After drilling, I put a thin layer of pumice in the bottom for drainage and to cover the small holes.
IMG_2224.JPG
I then put Boon mix to the bottom of the label for the new root ball (many years later).
IMG_2225.JPG
The Boon mix was covered with the coarse aggregate (roughly 1/2-1 inch in size) about an inch from the top.
IMG_2226.JPG

To be continued... I have more seltzer to drink...

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
I wonder if the clear plastic will affect the process! Aren't roots sensitive to light?

Chris Frechette

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So once the roots have grown down and thicken... what is the process of exposing them? Will u systematically start removing the large stones from the top? Will you end up wiring the roots to get movement into them?

Chris Frechette

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’m interested to try this style... I have a bunch of small ficus benjis that I could try this method on.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I wonder if the clear plastic will affect the process! Aren't roots sensitive to light?

I have heard mixed things about keeping roots out of the light. Time will tell...

If anyone has actually done a side by side, I am all ears. I can always paint them black, or wrap them in tinfoil.

Last edited:

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So once the roots have grown down and thicken... what is the process of exposing them? Will u systematically start removing the large stones from the top? Will you end up wiring the roots to get movement into them?

Here is the process Jonas used on his JBP.

https://bonsaitonight.com/2017/12/05/exposing-the-roots/

When I see good rooting, I will start exposing the roots an inch or two a year. I am sure the desciduous material will bulk up faster than the pines, so we will see in a year or two what it looks like.

I think the best technique is to fully expose the roots before worrying about wiring or removing unwanted roots (which will take many years).

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hmm i would wrap the bottles in black plastic or something just to be sure
Nice project i got a crab apple growing this way started from a root cutting :)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
How did I miss this!?! My obsession as of late.
1. You can by those kits for your kids to grow carrots and the side is plastic to view its development.

2. Al aka Smoke did a root cutting elm...with clear plastic with success.

I have two goji in training...and plan for a trident. Obsessed I am over this style.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Clear plastic shouldn't be an issue. Unless you dislike algae. Those will thrive.

Roots are not affected by light, neither are the mycorrhizea (or any fungus for that matter). To be affected, they need light sensors, which aren't located in roots. Some onions, leek, garlic and tropicals do have those sensors, but those roots love light as well.
In experiments (I have repeated them many times) rooting in light was never an issue, only the algae were.

I'd just take into account that sun+insulation+rocks = burning hot.
If anything, I'd paint them white to reflect light. Not because of the light, but because of the heat that goes with it.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How did I miss this!?! My obsession as of late.
1. You can by those kits for your kids to grow carrots and the side is plastic to view its development.

2. Al aka Smoke did a root cutting elm...with clear plastic with success.

I have two goji in training...and plan for a trident. Obsessed I am over this style.

You can use whatever you have on hand. Seltzer was on sale 3 bottles for $1, so it's what I went with. The trays in the picture were too unstable, so I took a couple plastic nursery pots, filled the bottom with pumice and buried 3-4 of these a few inches into the pumice. They are way easier to manage now, and are doing their thing at a friends nursery until I revisit them in a year.

The seedlings are just starting to wake up and so am super excited!

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Clear plastic shouldn't be an issue. Unless you dislike algae. Those will thrive.

Roots are not affected by light, neither are the mycorrhizea (or any fungus for that matter). To be affected, they need light sensors, which aren't located in roots. Some onions, leek, garlic and tropicals do have those sensors, but those roots love light as well.
In experiments (I have repeated them many times) rooting in light was never an issue, only the algae were.

I'd just take into account that sun+insulation+rocks = burning hot.
If anything, I'd paint them white to reflect light. Not because of the light, but because of the heat that goes with it.

Do you think I should bury them completely in the white pumice to reflect the light?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You can use whatever you have on hand. Seltzer was on sale 3 bottles for $1, so it's what I went with. The trays in the picture were too unstable, so I took a couple plastic nursery pots, filled the bottom with pumice and buried 3-4 of these a few inches into the pumice. They are way easier to manage now, and are doing their thing at a friends nursery until I revisit them in a year.

The seedlings are just starting to wake up and so am super excited!

Very exciting! The two goji I put holes at the base on the sides of the bottle...and wired it to the training pot I have it setting in. So it's stable and won't come loose. Glad you found an easier solution for yours as well. I think...this trident I am going to make...needs a taller bottle. So will look at what I can find in the store. I am desiring a larger tree at final outcome with it. My goji were young roots...but, this whip I am getting...has been ground ground. So I may bind the roots. Honestly...I don't want an neagari style exactly like my satsuki...but more in the lines of this photo of Matt Smith's I cropped ... (I asked permission to use his photo.)
image.jpg

But I love when I see others with the same passion for exposed roots. Not for all...for sure. My inspiration for my project.

Will be enjoying your progress...how many years are you considering to allow yours buried? My goji...I think 3-5...with the 5 being more realistic.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very exciting! The two goji I put holes at the base on the sides of the bottle...and wired it to the training pot I have it setting in. So it's stable and won't come loose. Glad you found an easier solution for yours as well. I think...this trident I am going to make...needs a taller bottle. So will look at what I can find in the store. I am desiring a larger tree at final outcome with it. My goji were young roots...but, this whip I am getting...has been ground ground. So I may bind the roots. Honestly...I don't want an neagari style exactly like my satsuki...but more in the lines of this photo of Matt Smith's I cropped ... (I asked permission to use his photo.)
View attachment 183632

But I love when I see others with the same passion for exposed roots. Not for all...for sure. My inspiration for my project.

Will be enjoying your progress...how many years are you considering to allow yours buried? My goji...I think 3-5...with the 5 being more realistic.

Holy smokes, that's a wild looking trident! How long I will leave them in his based on their growth in the species. I will check on the trees progress yearly and decide when to start exposing. I'm guessing my Japanese maple is probably going to be first followed by the other deciduous species. The Japanese red pine seem to be extremely healthy and happy so they might be right behind, followed by the black Pines. But as I said I'm going to check yearly and make the judgment call based on what I see.

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Clear plastic is fine on elm seedling for 1 year. You can use some spraypaint if you worried about light. The elm roots don't seem to like direct contact with the plastic but this was full of roots. This was on my bench with my other seedlings. The larger tap roots had lots of twists and turns at the bottom. It's like they got close to the sides and would make a hard turn back inward. No circular roots like you see when growing in flower pots. Sorry no pictures of the roots.

Note: I had poked about 8 little slits in the bottom, with a pocket knife, for drainage.

IMG_20180128_173319-1200x1600.jpgIMG_20180128_173256-1200x1600.jpg

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Id cut off the bottom of the water bottle and let the roots run into a larger container, other wise like mentioned the roots will just keep bouncing around in there and make a big mess, with a larger contaner under the set up the roots will only bounce around a little til the find the larger cooler container, and then can run to bulk up, just a thought... I started some scots pines that way last year. This year ill be doing crabs, chinese elms and japanese hornbeam from seedlings.

Top Bottom