Neat looking tree

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Liquidamber of some sort. I can see a seed case behind one of the leaves.
Leaves can vary a lot. Pics of seed, bark, twigs (for leaf arrangement) and overall shape of the tree all give extra clues to help with accurate ID.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Im fascinated by them now and they make good bonsai it seems? Full fall colors and all

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Liquidamber leaves stay a bit big so usually used for larger trees in bonsai but they are pretty tough.
Fall color will vary depending on the species and also varies a bit among individuals styraciflua usually has good red fall color.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Fall colors last 15 or 20 minutes in pots that you don't pay much attention to in that season. Not worth the effort in most years. In 20 years of bonsai I only have a couple pictures of autumn colors worth the effort in spite of having two of the best, Japanese Maple and Korean Hornbeam. Good autumn color depends upon having good autumn conditions which are, killing the foliage suddenly while it is in good condition. This happens with an early frost in September which doesn't happen that often in my area. A hundred miles north is a different story. So, if you get good color in your neighborhood, go for color. If the local trees just peter out in a long autumn without frost before November-ish weather sets in, so will your tree and you'll get no reward for having a tree that is colorful in areas that's have "color tours" in autumn.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
We have foliage for awhile and long falls sometimes up Here in MA white mtns and Berkshires and green mtns. Im closer to the ocean myself but thats all within 4 hrs from me

Feeling fall now until end of Nov...freezes late October I want to say

Top Bottom