Nebari development growing phase

spunog

Sapling
Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips on creating a good nebari on young plants planted in the ground ?

I recently purchased two young mugo pines and have put them in the ground to grow. Any steps I can take to maximize nebari development the next few years ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    430.5 KB · Views: 16

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Plant them on a tile and make sure the root spread is radial.
Depending on the cultivar, you might want to reduce the trunk to a single or two trunks. The pumillo mugo pine tends to send a dozen trunks from the base, which take a long time to heal once you remove them. It's better to get rid of those before you let them grow too big. Just to prevent nasty scars on the base.

spunog

Sapling
Reaction score
Plant them on a tile and make sure the root spread is radial.
Depending on the cultivar, you might want to reduce the trunk to a single or two trunks. The pumillo mugo pine tends to send a dozen trunks from the base, which take a long time to heal once you remove them. It's better to get rid of those before you let them grow too big. Just to prevent nasty scars on the base.

i had a good look at the base and as you said there was several trunks in each pot. However they are separate plants so I teased them apart and potted them separately . Now have 6 small mugo’s instead 👌

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have learned that there are really just two things you can do in bonsai:

1) Grow on top of a tile/board
OR
2) Waste time.

spunog

Sapling
Reaction score
I have learned that there are really just two things you can do in bonsai:

1) Grow on top of a tile/board
OR
2) Waste time.

I planted a few trees in the ground about 2 years ago. I didn’t put a tile under them. Would you recommend digging the trees and root pruning next spring? And place a tile underneath too.....

Top Bottom