Nebari surprise

YAN

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi guys,

i got this boxwood from nursery thinking it’s a multi trunk,i even digged there as much as possible by hand and it still looked like multi trunk.

got home, out of pot and turned out a very deep planted single trunk with great nebari.
214B2A1B-38EB-4F7F-BC85-958835D5AD85.jpegEAF3388C-2FBF-4794-9264-DE5434910A02.jpegC52F7D5A-0FB2-4597-A1D9-F714BA82E43B.jpeg
My question is can i turn this to a shohin size broom style? I’ll repot in spring I already trimmed tops and started back budding all over the place.

i wonder what to do with that thick trunk/branch in the back?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd keep either the big and a small, or a small and one new shoot.
Those are in best proportion with each other now, though any 2 will do.

Not now though, it's a bit late.

How long ago was it trimmed?
I found these do best if trimmed and repotted at the same time. You probly won't get the winter death like I do, but I'd Repot it when you can. Feb dude said?

Trunk is nice.

Work the branches to just remove the look of a boxwood shrub.

Sorce

YAN

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks sorce,

I just trimmed some of the long shoots nothing major more like a lite hedge prune to encourage back budding and it worked.

you mean I chop, root trim and repot at the sam time?
I'd keep either the big and a small, or a small and one new shoot.
Those are in best proportion with each other now, though any 2 will do.

Not now though, it's a bit late.

How long ago was it trimmed?
I found these do best if trimmed and repotted at the same time. You probly won't get the winter death like I do, but I'd Repot it when you can. Feb dude said?

Trunk is nice.

Work the branches to just remove the look of a boxwood shrub.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
could this be a start for a broom?

Could be, but anything could be.

It's likely impossible to sustain a nice looking design on a boxwood if more than 2 branches are growing from one spot.

I still think you best bet is to chose the middle and a side branch as your 2.
Though a side branch and a new shoot could be your 2, it will take longer to thicken them up.

Boxwood are very decieving, if there are tridents like that, it quickly becomes near impossible to make anything interesting of them.

I search hundreds and rarely find a good one.
Picked one up in spring and it sucks ass.

You have a good couple years to ponder moves on this. I wouldn't rush at all. The base is worth it.

Sorce

Top Bottom