Nebari swelling Carpinus Koreana?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey all,

A few years back I bought this small carpinus.
Now that I have done a proper repot, I have come to realize the base of the trunk is swollen to about 3 times the size of the trunk. It does not look like a regular nebari, of fused roots.

Does this look familiar to someone? Any idea what it could be ?
Sorry for the bad quality pictures

20190901_R14A2074.jpg20191225-20191225_R14A2413.jpg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Top pic is before and the bottom is as it is now?

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Can you get a better pic of the afftected area? It could be some type of gall. A similar thing happened to one of my maples.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No I cannot. It is nearing midnight here, and with hurrican winds expected the next few days, all my trees are put to bed. Cannot get to them :)

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Just seeing this now. It's an air layer isn't it?
If it is an air layer or cutting: The tissue where the roots are originating from can form some extra callus, which causes swelling. It should stop when the roots have found their optimal water route up the tree. That can take a couple years.

If it's not an air layer, I have no clue.
But then again, it could be agrobacterium tumefasciens. Those can be cleared up with a multi year systemic antibacterial treatment; they encapsulate themselves so a multi year plan is needed. You can positively ID it without a microsope by taking some tissue and rubbing it on (probably every) live herbs after you wounded them a little. If they form the same gall like structures, it's agrobacterium. But there have to be wounds to effectively infect another plant.
I choose herbs because they show these effects within weeks and it's a cheap test that way.
It's a cool bacterium though! It does its own gene editing and it's widely used to make GMO's.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just seeing this now. It's an air layer isn't it?
If it is an air layer or cutting: The tissue where the roots are originating from can form some extra callus, which causes swelling. It should stop when the roots have found their optimal water route up the tree. That can take a couple years.
Looks like a layer to me, also. I have a japanese maple that I ground layered that looks similar.

Top Bottom