Nebari/tile planting ficus and other question

Bonponic

Seedling
Reaction score
I have three ficus trees doing really well. Two store bought that I have completely tore up and almost killed twice, but that have flourished as of this last year. The other is a cutting that is quickly growing the fatest trunk with the potential to be shaped into any style I want. My question is, can I take them out of their pot and grow them on tiles indoors? They have been indoor tree their whole life. They get a min of 12 hours of light a day. Also, what are other good indoor species of bonsais that I can grow indoors.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Of course you can grow ficus on tiles indoors. Just need a pot that will take your tile.
The question should really be whether the tiles will make much difference. I find that good root pruning gives better results. Cut vertical roots hard and force the tree to use laterals. Results are very similar but I find less predictable on tiles.

Umbrella tree should grow OK indoors as they like similar conditions to ficus. There's a whole range of different ficus with different leaf shapes too.
Chinese elm is reputed to survive indoors with good conditions but nowhere near as easy as ficus.
There are other tropicals and sub-tropicals that are grown indoors and for bonsai. I'm sure some of the tropical experts will add to the list soon.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
P. afra will do fine inside also, although not considered an actual "tree" by most. But even those that can be grown inside, benefit greatly from spending the spring/summer/fall outside. Do you not have an outdoor space for them? If you add your location to your profile, you will get advice that pertains to your particular climate.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think you need a tile.

Welcome to Crazy!

This is from the 11:40-12noon auto water I had set up from vacation.
20210723_172541.jpg

It doesn't really matter what is blocking the wind, grass, weeds, plastic, other pots....if you create this environment, you'll get more surface roots.

Sorce

Bonponic

Seedling
Reaction score
I have outdoor space, but I have always enjoyed indoor growing of my bonsai trees. I’m not sure why.

Bonponic

Seedling
Reaction score
I wish seeds were easier to get ahold of because I would love to start a Bougainvillea and Chinese elm.

Bonponic

Seedling
Reaction score
I don't think you need a tile.

Welcome to Crazy!

This is from the 11:40-12noon auto water I had set up from vacation.
View attachment 388682

It doesn't really matter what is blocking the wind, grass, weeds, plastic, other pots....if you create this environment, you'll get more surface roots.

What’s the environment?

Top Bottom