Need Advice - Ficus Chop and Repot

grb

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi nuts,

I just bought this ficus (photos below) and I am looking to repot it, prune the roots (if needed), and possibly chop at the magenta line

I am wondering though, is this chop too big? And will it rebud?

I'll post all updates to this thread!

IMG-8502.JPGIMG-8503.JPG

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would wait until ~May to chop it and repot in late June. I have never done that big of a chop on Benjamin, and I hear they don't take it as well as others.

Reactions: grb

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lol! Even the room is close on shape!

I'd thread Graft it now before you wait 4 years like a moron!

Sorce

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have similar size ficus benjamina, and needed both root prune and chop, so first i had a look at the roots, they were potato size, took me 2 repots to get ride of them.
After i could see growth again, i let it grow and mid summer i chopped, half what initial desire was, also hard prune branches but leaving some foliage on them. it survived everything so far and its growing well, this year i will chop it further down to desire size - btw you will get a lot of new growth on lower parts after first chop, so design might slightly change :) that happens to me and i do not regret it.

on top of that, they root very easily even thick branches, you can have few more trees :)
so now im a spring no. 3 of entire operation

Good Luck.

I would repot and chop it first at the red line -
1617276480377.png

grb

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I have similar size ficus benjamina, and needed both root prune and chop, so first i had a look at the roots, they were potato size, took me 2 repots to get ride of them.
After i could see growth again, i let it grow and mid summer i chopped, half what initial desire was, also hard prune branches but leaving some foliage on them. it survived everything so far and its growing well, this year i will chop it further down to desire size - btw you will get a lot of new growth on lower parts after first chop, so design might slightly change :) that happens to me and i do not regret it.

on top of that, they root very easily even thick branches, you can have few more trees :)
so now im a spring no. 3 of entire operation

Good Luck.

I would repot and chop it first at the red line -
View attachment 364963
Nice, thank you! I am now torn between your suggestion and air-layering...

grb

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I think I would air layer my way down a few times to the lowest desired portion. That's got to be faster.
Very tempting! If I wanted to keep everything above the magenta line, do you think I could air-layer there?

Last edited:

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That's a biggie, I don't know.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd get anything above this clump first, then this clump. Then this 2 segments joint.

Capture+_2021-04-02-05-38-05.png

The base is almost useless I'd imagine. Though thread grafting a "new leader" through every few inches may get you a few more stout trees from down there over time.

There is better growth habits exhibited by benjamin, so grafting other foilage could also be considered.

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks like the real secret to compact benjamin with taper is to start from the beginning and no shortcuts.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would recommend controlled cutting, repotting, and later air-layer. But maybe wait until warmer weather for the repot. Some outside/real sun always helps with the vigor.
You can style the tree in-place by removing branches, knowing that these are super easy to airlayer. Style with your future airlayer site(s) in mind. Sometimes you can boost the taper by choosing the air-layer location carefully.
Doesn’t hurt to style and pot up the discarded branches if you want some more material to play with.. if they have some leaves and you keep humid, they will probably root.

grb

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'd get anything above this clump first, then this clump. Then this 2 segments joint.

View attachment 365146

The base is almost useless I'd imagine. Though thread grafting a "new leader" through every few inches may get you a few more stout trees from down there over time.

There is better growth habits exhibited by benjamin, so grafting other foilage could also be considered.

Sorce
I would definitely need some more pots for that... If only there was a place I could get some beautifully handcrafted pots

Top Bottom