Need advice for collecting a large maple

James89

Seedling
Reaction score
I have been offered a very large acer. UK zone 8. I have some experience collecting trees but they have never been of this quality. Does anyone have experience lifting maples? Is this tree just too big to bonsai and should I keep it as a landscape tree? Do dissectum respond well to hard pruning?

I do have until next year to lift it so I can trench it. My plan was to trench it and pick it up early next year. Find a large enough pot add some sphagnum and wrap it in bubble wrap to protect from unexpected frosts as I dont have a green house for protection.

Attachments

• 20210701_230519.jpg
    20210701_230519.jpg
    446.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 20210701_100339.jpg
    20210701_100339.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 20210701_100343.jpg
    20210701_100343.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 61

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Acer palmatum usually transplant fairly easily I've moved some bigger ones with no problem, even with very reduced roots but have had an occasional upset where part of the trunk or the whole thing dies unexpectedly. I generally bare root maples to make them easier to handle. Shaking the soil off roots does not seem to worry AP transplants. 2 years ago I got 2 about this size that were hauled out of a car park by machine then dumped in the back of my daughter's tray truck and left for the day. She delivered them that evening so the roots were in air most of the day. I trimmed damaged roots and planted them and both are now fine except for some trunk damage caused by the digger,

Your plan to trench is probably good insurance as new roots within the transplant zone will give added surety.
Just make sure you trench close enough to make any new roots actually in the area you will be transplanting. Too many people overestimate and trench too far out then have to cut off the new roots when digging the tree or find the root system won't fit in a pot. I'd be cutting surface roots to around 1 trunk diameter from the actual trunk for a transplant like this. Cut some of the longer branches back if you think the top is too far out of balance with the roots after transplant but I find that transplanted trees tend to self regulate.
I guess if you have some experience you are already aware that collected trees are actually much larger and heavier than they appear. I would estimate the tree itself to weigh around 15-20kg. Any soil on the roots will add to that.
Pots generally need to be quite a bit bigger than expected too. Allow pot diameter minimum of 5 trunk diameters which would make a pot size of 70cm - 1m diameter for that tree??

Zone 8 should not be too much colder than here. I think AP should be hardy at those temps so should not need any added protection but if it makes you happy then go ahead. I would be a little wary of sphagnum around the roots. AP are prone to fungal problems when roots stay too wet. Just water more if it gets dry in summer.

James89

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you for the very detailed response. It has given me a little more confidence.

I have only used sphagnum once before on a lifted tree of this size but it was a flowering cherry tree that reacted very well but it's a small sample size to judge from. I have no experience lifting maples apart from young trees from my garden. I was just copying the sphagnum idea from peter chan on all honesty.

Thanks again for your response

Top Bottom