Need advice for my Trident Maple starter tree. (pics included)

deutsch

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi guys. Im still new to bonsai and this trident maple is one of my first trees I got at the end of last summer. I bought it off of ebay for $20. It looks like the guy was growing it with multiple trunks, and I have not not done any trimming on it whatsoever. He chopped the tips of the trunks off, but I was hoping for a taller tree. Im going for the miniature tree upright style (nothing with a overly large bloated trunk). What would you guys reccomend I do to grow it taller and look natural? I already have it in an oversized training pot to help the trunk thicken up some. It has lost all but a few of its leaves for winter as you can see.

Attachments

• PIC_0002.jpg
    PIC_0002.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 124
  • PIC_0007.jpg
    PIC_0007.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I know you say you don't want an overly bloated trunk, but this tree needs to go in the ground and let grow for a few years. Good luck with it.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I know you say you don't want an overly bloated trunk, but this tree needs to go in the ground and let grow for a few years. Good luck with it.

What he said .......that was my first impression too.... you'll get way better results with it in the ground in 5 years than you will in that training pot in say 15.
Good luck and welcome to the nuthouse.
Graham

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Hi guys. Im still new to bonsai and this trident maple is one of my first trees I got at the end of last summer. I bought it off of ebay for $20. It looks like the guy was growing it with multiple trunks, and I have not not done any trimming on it whatsoever. He chopped the tips of the trunks off, but I was hoping for a taller tree. Im going for the miniature tree upright style (nothing with a overly large bloated trunk). What would you guys reccomend I do to grow it taller and look natural? I already have it in an oversized training pot to help the trunk thicken up some. It has lost all but a few of its leaves for winter as you can see.

Here is some important reading to start you off to help you understand about ground vs. large training pots. http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/earthpot.htm

I STRONGLY recommend reading (then reading several more times) everything on that site. We are so fortunate to have people such as Brent who have so willingly shared expert knowledge like you will find there.

Welcome to the Nut House and welcome to bonsai!

deutsch

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well I do plan on buying some maple seedlings this spring to put in the ground for a few years, and I was hoping to keep this particular one in a pot since it is my first maple. The trunk on it is about 1/2 inch now and I'd prefer maybe 1 1/2 to 2 inch trunk and style it to look like a small upright tree with massive ramification. Would you reccommend letting it grow untrimmed for a season or 2 if I did keep it in the pot or do new shoots need to be trimmed to produce branching?

deutsch

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
milehigh 7 - okay thanks for the link, I'll go check that out right now! :cool:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well I do plan on buying some maple seedlings this spring to put in the ground for a few years, and I was hoping to keep this particular one in a pot since it is my first maple. The trunk on it is about 1/2 inch now and I'd prefer maybe 1 1/2 to 2 inch trunk and style it to look like a small upright tree with massive ramification. Would you reccommend letting it grow untrimmed for a season or 2 if I did keep it in the pot or do new shoots need to be trimmed to produce branching?

It would do as you wish FAR faster if you put it in the ground - leave it be and grow and you will be very happy in 2 years or so. Meanwhile collect another one larger then what you want and pot, chop, and learn. Before you know it your tree will be big enough to your taste and you will have learned already how to do as you envision... :D

deutsch

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
hmm.. you guys are starting to talk me into putting this tree in the ground now. haha

So if I do plant it in the ground, what area would you reccomend for houston, texas? The summers can get extremely hot with dry spells here and temps tipping 100F. Full sun or shaded area? Also a main concern, how do I remove it easily and keep a long taproot from developing? I don't want to kill it when I do remove it in a couple of years. I was thinking maybe digging a hole and planting it on top of a piece of plywood before filling it back in with dirt. Would this work out?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Plant it over a tile or old plate or something that will force the roots outward.
Full sun, and just be sure to water well while it gets established.
Here is one I put in the ground a few years ago to give some idea of what to expect Yeager over year:

http://nebaribonsai.wordpress.com/2012/12/22/trident-maple-in-the-ground/

Top Bottom