Need advice on new website

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
After a season of test marketing I decided there was enough interest to start a small bonsai business catering to the entry-level customer. As part of that, I have set up a website and I was hoping to get some feedback and/or suggestions for improvement before I start promoting it.

https://www.blackriverbonsai.com

A couple of things to keep in mind:

1. My target customer is entry-level or new to bonsai
  2. Most of my stock sold last year and what I have left is just that: leftovers. So, I'm not looking for criticism on the inventory! lol
  3. Just because you suggest it doesn't mean I'm going to do it! I very much appreciate any feedback but will still do what I think is right for me.
Thanks in advance, and try not to hurt my feelings too badly. 😆

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good start on your site. It is easy to navigate. You might consider sliding "shipping info" and "Terms and Conditions" under the shopping tab. To me it makes more sense to put it there, but I am old so maybe you shouldn't trust me. I like your Bonsai Care info. It doesn't try to sell people on the idea that trees can be grown indoors. Do you plan on adding to the care info? Something on overwintering might be good. Nice job though!

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Kuddos for putting yourself out there. Takes some balls. The site isn’t bad at all. It seems pretty smooth actually. Are you trying to promote your site within your local region only? IMHO a site’s wow factor is far down the list in searches for material. It’s the quality of the material and the name behind it. Case in point @Brent https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/
His site is functional, with wonderful articles, but far from pretty-more of a Craigslist look. What he does have is excellent material and the site is regularly updated with inventory notes. There is material for all levels and a name behind it that people in bonsai have trusted for a long time now. It’s really all about the material and service which takes time for anyone to build-unless your target market is not really a long-term bonsai enthusiast, but a spur of the moment buyer.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Site looks nice and easy to navigate, I would suggest doing grammer/spell check on the home page. And I would think about adding substrate and tools, perhaps wire too as you expand. Good luck I’ll keep an eye out!

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well organized. You might add some details about the trees. Like height, width, trunk, root health. And....as applicable....remind buyers that trees are not indoor trees. Maybe add some basic care instructions and whether the trees are already winter hardy. As you get questions from buyers or potential buyers....add on an FAQ....and include those reworded questions and the answers.

Good clear navigation.

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The logo at the buttom of the page should be in center.
The picture in the center of the page should be bigger.
The text right below the logo in the top of the page should be smaller.
The text were you explain about bonsai and your company in the homepage, that I would place below the pictures of your trees or in the about us section.
It's up to you to keep people at your page as long as possible. You need as many pictures, products and sections at the homepage as possible. That way people can click around your page. If you put alot of text at the homepage then people click away.

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The tree pics should be as crisp as the page photo.

I like the page photo but I also dislike it.
I want to see the top of a tree. It oddly feels like you are hiding something.

I don't know where the material comes from.
But something like the shimpaku could be more expensive as material, without the pot.

If you're potting them yourself, I wouldn't. Since "potting" is part of the experience, you could sell those trees in nursery pots, say for 5 bucks less with an option to buy a $10 pot. Sell the experience.

Nice.

Sorce

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You might consider sliding "shipping info" and "Terms and Conditions" under the shopping tab.
Done.

Do you plan on adding to the care info? Something on overwintering might be good.

I do! I have that article I wrote last year on overwintering that I can use. I'm hoping to talk to "my" buyer tomorrow to work on getting an order together for next year. It was a swing and a miss on the Japanese holly and serissa so I'm going to focus more on junipers next year. Not sure what else. Then my plan is to put basic care info for the primary species I sell.

Kuddos for putting yourself out there. Takes some balls.

Getting it going was no big deal. Telling people HERE about it has me scared to death. 😆

Are you trying to promote your site within your local region only? IMHO a site’s wow factor is far down the list in searches for material. It’s the quality of the material and the name behind it. Case in point @Brent https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/
His site is functional, with wonderful articles, but far from pretty-more of a Craigslist look. What he does have is excellent material and the site is regularly updated with inventory notes. There is material for all levels and a name behind it that people in bonsai have trusted for a long time now. It’s really all about the material and service which takes time for anyone to build-unless your target market is not really a long-term bonsai enthusiast, but a spur of the moment buyer.

No I plan to go national. So far most of my sales have been in Ohio but I've also had sales in Michigan, Connecticut, Iowa, Indiana, and Texas. Two people came back and bought another tree so I take that as a good sign! I plan to start with the entry-level beginner and see where it goes. My goal is to eventually expand into better material that people here might appreciate.

Good start, now get busy.

Yes, sir!

Site looks nice and easy to navigate, I would suggest doing grammer/spell check on the home page. And I would think about adding substrate and tools, perhaps wire too as you expand. Good luck I’ll keep an eye out!

I think I have the spelling errors fixed now. I plan to ask my cousin (an editor) to look at it when I'm done. I would love to add substrate, tools, and supplies but I'm not there yet! Gotta walk first. :)

You might add some details about the trees. Like height, width, trunk, root health. And....as applicable....remind buyers that trees are not indoor trees. Maybe add some basic care instructions and whether the trees are already winter hardy. As you get questions from buyers or potential buyers....add on an FAQ....and include those reworded questions and the answers.

I do have height, width, and caliper (except on the misc. ones). I also have noted on the care page that bonsai are mostly not indoor trees but I should tag them as indoor or outdoor, good idea. I also like the idea of adding a FAQ and will do that soon (and as questions come in like you suggested). Could also add a bit about how I pack.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The picture in the center of the page should be bigger.

That's actually set by the theme. I could probably edit the theme but I'm ok with it as is so I don't think it is worth digging through the code.

The text right below the logo in the top of the page should be smaller.

I had it smaller initially but it looks better on a tablet being a little larger. As people more more towards mobility you want to cater to that.

The text were you explain about bonsai and your company in the homepage, that I would place below the pictures of your trees or in the about us section.

It's up to you to keep people at your page as long as possible. You need as many pictures, products and sections at the homepage as possible. That way people can click around your page. If you put alot of text at the homepage then people click away.

I hear you and didn't have any of that initially but it felt lacking to me. I guess I'm just old school but I like a little talky-talky. Tell you what, I'll cut the first paragraph.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The tree pics should be as crisp as the page photo.

I have a photo booth now. Next year's tree pics will be much better!

I like the page photo but I also dislike it.
I want to see the top of a tree. It oddly feels like you are hiding something.

Me neither, it is the best I have for now in the concept I want. Next year I will get a much better one.

I don't know where the material comes from.
But something like the shimpaku could be more expensive as material, without the pot.

Maybe! These are all pretty young plants. My first juniper order was 10 pro nana, 10 san jose, 10 shimpaku. Due to an error I ended up with 20 pro nana. I sold most and these are the handful I had left. The material was good but not great. My plan is to up the order and grow some of those liners on to be better stock while using the lesser quality ones to bankroll everything.

If you're potting them yourself, I wouldn't. Since "potting" is part of the experience, you could sell those trees in nursery pots, say for 5 bucks less with an option to buy a $10 pot. Sell the experience.

A good idea BUT, I sold most of these in two batches at the local bonsai club show. The first show I noted that I sold almost none in nursery pots but almost all of the ones in plastic bonsai pots. So, I catered to what my clientel is looking for. As I expand into better material then I will leave some in the nursery pots and do less work on them.

I do appreciate the advice you're just ahead of where I am! But I'm heading that way. :)

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not bad at all. Only nit-pik's, im not crazy about the banner pic. and the set up on the home page. I like it tho. Any guesses to when you might get stock in? I might grab one or two down the road sometime, since shipping shouldn't be too much a issue. :rolleyes:

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score
I like it, pretty clean and crisp. My only issue would be the pictures. Stock pictures you've said you'll be doing better ones next year but the banner picture on the main page doesn't look professional. You want people to be impressed, as you're trying to sell them something, a paint chipped garage door, stacked cinderblocks with algae growing on them and the long tufts of grass looks like a backyard job.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
If you can lower the height of the logo banner and navigation buttons and make them static, that would be more user friendly. Like on this site.

And pop the link on your sig

Good start man! Will be checking in

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you asked folks that have been doing this for a while about their experiences? If it were me, I'd PM Zach Smith or Brent at Evergreen to ask about some of the unseen obstacles you're going to face--phytosanitary certs for some states, how to keep inventory shipment up to date, replacement plants, etc.

Top Bottom