Need advice on new website

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Any guesses to when you might get stock in? I might grab one or two down the road sometime, since shipping shouldn't be too much a issue.

Working on that this week. Last year I was supposed to get my shipment in April but there was a mixup and I didn't get it until early June.

Do you still have the Juniper San Jose #2019-1 ???????

Yep. PM me if you want more pics or have questions. :)

Have you asked folks that have been doing this for a while about their experiences? If it were me, I'd PM Zach Smith or Brent at Evergreen to ask about some of the unseen obstacles you're going to face--phytosanitary certs for some states, how to keep inventory shipment up to date, replacement plants, etc.

I have not, though I want to. I know two other people in my area who do this, plus I love how Comstock does things. But, I haven't asked any of them because it seems rude. I feel like I'd be asking them how to compete against them... Plus, they're busy enough as is.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thinking out loud about what junipers to carry this year. Shimpaku, pro nana, and san jose for sure since they all did well for me last year. I can do one or two more.

Options:

BAR HARBOR
BLUE CHIP
BLUE PACIFIC
BLUE PFITZER
BLUE RUG
BLUE STAR
GREEN SARGENT
GREY OWL
HETZI COLUMNAR
PARSONI
ROBUSTA GREEN
SEA GREEN
TORULOSA

Leaning towards sea green and torulosa. The latter just to do something different.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Knowing some but not all of those, I would vote for aiming for a good mix of different growth habits. Some more upright like the Robusta Greens mixed with your low layers like the Blue Stars.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why would people by choice get San Jose?
I have one, got it before knowing what it was, and what the foliage habits are. So I now know the downsides. What are the upsides? Why are they in high demand, do you know?

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Why would people by choice get San Jose?
I have one, got it before knowing what it was, and what the foliage habits are. So I now know the downsides. What are the upsides? Why are they in high demand, do you know?
Some of us actually like needle foliage. And they have the thickest trunks out of the three varieties I got last year.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Working on that this week. Last year I was supposed to get my shipment in April but there was a mixup and I didn't get it until early June.

Yep. PM me if you want more pics or have questions. :)

I have not, though I want to. I know two other people in my area who do this, plus I love how Comstock does things. But, I haven't asked any of them because it seems rude. I feel like I'd be asking them how to compete against them... Plus, they're busy enough as is.
I don't think you are competing against either. Different markets for both. Zach sells collected trees. Brent sells specialty varieties and advanced stock. You have said you aim to sell entry level. the person that's buying from you probably isn't one of Zach's or Brent's customers.

Both have been selling online for more than a decade.

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
I don't think you are competing against either. Different markets for both. Zach sells collected trees. Brent sells specialty varieties and advanced stock. You have said you aim to sell entry level. the person that's buying from you probably isn't one of Zach's or Brent's customers.

Both have been selling online for more than a decade.
Totally different line of work, but in my experience good professionals are usually happy to provide advice if you ask nicely. It's flattering to them, for one, and for another, if they love the business they're in they want to share it and see it thrive.

Good luck!

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Couple things I'll note...…(not trying to offend you so please take my criticism for what it's worth)

-The half picture spanning across the page needs to be replaced. It looks like a cheap backyard setup with the cinder blocks, weeds growing, peeling paint etc. You need to replace with a more professional picture

- The bonsai in your featured spots looks like it was taking with a cheap camera and then enlarged to fill in the space. With pictures you always want to take them with the highest resolution and then you modify. If you can, use RAW files to modify to fit your needs using a professional software like photoshop or lightroom. If you do it on your phone you can use something free like snapseed.

- On your shop bonsai page you used your siding as a backdrop. Doesn't look professional, get yourself a gradient backdrop and use that to take pictures.

- On your about us page us add a picture of yourself with a smile or in action doing something with your bonsai. People are more likely to buy from someone who looks like they know what they are doing or looks like they have a pleasant demeanor.

- Remove the "shipping information" and "terms and conditions" from the shop bonsai tab. Those two should be their own tabs

Other than that the website looks and flows good. Look at @Zach Smith website. His site is basic and easy to navigate. Pictures are good quality...….and he has a picture of himself in action. Just remember the more flashy you get your website the more time you have to deal/mess with it. I know from experience when I had mine up when I was selling snakes and equipment. Websites can eat a considerate amount of your time.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Couple things I'll note...…(not trying to offend you so please take my criticism for what it's worth)

-The half picture spanning across the page needs to be replaced. It looks like a cheap backyard setup with the cinder blocks, weeds growing, peeling paint etc. You need to replace with a more professional picture

- The bonsai in your featured spots looks like it was taking with a cheap camera and then enlarged to fill in the space. With pictures you always want to take them with the highest resolution and then you modify. If you can, use RAW files to modify to fit your needs using a professional software like photoshop or lightroom. If you do it on your phone you can use something free like snapseed.

- On your shop bonsai page you used your siding as a backdrop. Doesn't look professional, get yourself a gradient backdrop and use that to take pictures.

- On your about us page us add a picture of yourself with a smile or in action doing something with your bonsai. People are more likely to buy from someone who looks like they know what they are doing or looks like they have a pleasant demeanor.

- Remove the "shipping information" and "terms and conditions" from the shop bonsai tab. Those two should be their own tabs

Other than that the website looks and flows good. Look at @Zach Smith website. His site is basic and easy to navigate. Pictures are good quality...….and he has a picture of himself in action. Just remember the more flashy you get your website the more time you have to deal/mess with it. I know from experience when I had mine up when I was selling snakes and equipment. Websites can eat a considerate amount of your time.

Thanks but you haven’t read the thread. Most of those have been addressed. Interestingly enough, info and terms were separate and it was suggested to move them where they currently are. Can’t please everyone! 😀

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks but you haven’t read the thread. Most of those have been addressed. Interestingly enough, info and terms were separate and it was suggested to move them where they currently are. Can’t please everyone! 😀
Sorry skimmed through it and may have missed it. Usually Shipping and Terms are their own tabs. People shouldn't have to "search" to find them. If I never clicked on the "shop" tab I wouldn't have seen them.

You want the site as easy as possible for the customer. If people have to start clicking here and there to find stuff/info it's a turn off. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Nonetheless good luck with your endeavors.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After a season of test marketing I decided there was enough interest to start a small bonsai business catering to the entry-level customer. As part of that, I have set up a website and I was hoping to get some feedback and/or suggestions for improvement before I start promoting it.

https://www.blackriverbonsai.com

A couple of things to keep in mind:

1. My target customer is entry-level or new to bonsai
  2. Most of my stock sold last year and what I have left is just that: leftovers. So, I'm not looking for criticism on the inventory! lol
  3. Just because you suggest it doesn't mean I'm going to do it! I very much appreciate any feedback but will still do what I think is right for me.
Thanks in advance, and try not to hurt my feelings too badly. 😆
Best of luck in your venture. As with bonsai, you will need to love being in the bonsai business to make it, otherwise it will become a real drag in a hurry. Overnight success will take at least 30 years :) Prepare for bumps in the road, and remember that sometimes it'll seem like there's more bumps than road but that's probably not true. The main thing is to always take care of your customers.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I like your website. Good luck with your venture. In an effort to help I thought I'd add some thoughts. about junipers to add to your line up. I looked at your list of junipers and added some notes on each.

Above all I would try to source some Juniper chinensis varieties 'Kishu' and 'Itoigawa' as these are the two best cultivars of J. chinensis used for bonsai. They are easy to root via cuttings, if you can't find them in wholesale quantities get a few stock plants for yourself and every summer, strike a new set of cuttings in August, they will be ready for sale in 24 months, no winter protection required in Chicago area. I leave the cuttings with no roots outside in their flats all winter. Roots form over the spring-early summer and growth will begin in August. By their second August they will be established enough to sell.

You have a number of Juniper chinensis varieties on your list, which are all essentially varieties of Shimpaku. I would only add the ones that offer something different, like blue foliage, which you can get from 'Blue Pfitzer' which makes decent bonsai. The 'Pfitzer' types or hybrids are popular for bonsai in Europe.

Juniper horizontalis, obviously makes a good cascade, though they are slow to trunk up. Nick Lenz used horizontalis to make upright trees with decending branches much like a spruce or fir. Very convincing. Consider adding at least one of the horizontalis cultivars. I prefer the blue color foliage. I have J. horizontalis from the Waukegan Barrens, and it is a nice purple bronze all winter, and mostly green in summer.

If you add 'Grey Owl' or 'Hetzi Columnar' keep in mind seasoned bonsai people will avoid them because they are thought to be J. virginiana hybrids. They will submit to bonsai cultivation better than J. virginiana, but they may still be a bit of problem. The "pure type form" of J. virginiana has a bad reputation as a bonsai subject. Vance Hanna and a few others have turned out good trees, but they are the exceptions. rather than the rule.

I hope my notes below help a little

BAR HARBOR - horizontalis - prostrate - can bronze some in winter, blue-ish in summer.
BLUE CHIP - horizontalis - prostrate & quite blue
BLUE RUG - J. horizontalis 'Wiltonii' - a prostrate juniper cultivar fairly blue.

BLUE PACIFIC - shore juniper - J. conferta - needle foliage - only hardy through zone 6, according to MOBOT.

BLUE PFITZER - J. chinensis or a chinensis based hybrid, foliage like a Shimpaku - pretty good for bonsai, normally scale foliage, does not revert to juvenile very easily, though it will if over-pruned. Officially J. x pfizeriana "Pfitzer Junipers" are hybrids of (chinensis x sabina)

BLUE STAR - J. squamata - needle foliage, good blue color. More upright.

GREEN SARGENT - better would be to source 'Itoigawa' or 'Kishu' Shimpaku, Green Sargent is a more coarse version of Shimpaku - J. chinensis.

GREY OWL - purportedly a J. virginiana cultivar, many suspect it is a hybrid, because it is much better behaved for bonsai than J. virginiana.

HETZI COLUMNAR - another cultivar of J. virginiana, this one found in Missouri. Needle foliage on young branches, quickly reverts to scale foliage as branch ages. Vertical growth habit. Some consider it, a hybrid (chinensis x J. virginiana). Behaves better than "pure" J. virginiana as bonsai. Some consider it J. x pfizeriana (chinensis x sabina) in which case it was an "invasive species" as the x pfitzeriana types are a European hybrid group.

PARSONI - J. davurica - used to be thought a variety of j. chinensis - grey-green scale foliage, not as tight as shimpaku, but can reduce well enough for even shohin bonsai. - low and wide growing, not upright.

ROBUSTA GREEN - a cultivar of Juniper chinensis, essentially an upright, slightly more coarse growing Shimpaku.

SEA GREEN - wider than tall growing Juniper x pfizeriana - hybrid (chinensis x sabina) - usually scale foliage, like a coarse foliage Shimpaku

TORULOSA- a cultivar of J. chinensis 'tortulosa' sometimes called 'Hollywood Juniper' - a form thought to have been discovered in California, noted for contorted shapes. Not a prostrate plant, wider than tall, though it can grow upright to 15 feet or so. Alleged to "trunk up" more quickly than some shimpaku types. Usually scale foliage though can revert to juvenile foliage as with most Shimpaku types.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sorry skimmed through it and may have missed it. Usually Shipping and Terms are their own tabs. People shouldn't have to "search" to find them. If I never clicked on the "shop" tab I wouldn't have seen them.

You want the site as easy as possible for the customer. If people have to start clicking here and there to find stuff/info it's a turn off. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Nonetheless good luck with your endeavors.

Gotcha. I'll have to think about it. I do have them listed at the bottom, too. I usually like to keep the "shop" button just for the shopping experience but @coachspinks made a good argument for moving it.

I did come up with an idea for changing the "hero pic" that nobody (including me) likes and was just a placeholder. I'll work on that this weekend.

I like your website. Good luck with your venture. In an effort to help I thought I'd add some thoughts. about junipers to add to your line up. I looked at your list of junipers and added some notes on each.

Above all I would try to source some Juniper chinensis varieties 'Kishu' and 'Itoigawa' as these are the two best cultivars of J. chinensis used for bonsai. They are easy to root via cuttings, if you can't find them in wholesale quantities get a few stock plants for yourself and every summer, strike a new set of cuttings in August, they will be ready for sale in 24 months, no winter protection required in Chicago area. I leave the cuttings with no roots outside in their flats all winter. Roots form over the spring-early summer and growth will begin in August. By their second August they will be established enough to sell.

You have a number of Juniper chinensis varieties on your list, which are all essentially varieties of Shimpaku. I would only add the ones that offer something different, like blue foliage, which you can get from 'Blue Pfitzer' which makes decent bonsai. The 'Pfitzer' types or hybrids are popular for bonsai in Europe.

Juniper horizontalis, obviously makes a good cascade, though they are slow to trunk up. Nick Lenz used horizontalis to make upright trees with decending branches much like a spruce or fir. Very convincing. Consider adding at least one of the horizontalis cultivars. I prefer the blue color foliage. I have J. horizontalis from the Waukegan Barrens, and it is a nice purple bronze all winter, and mostly green in summer.

If you add 'Grey Owl' or 'Hetzi Columnar' keep in mind seasoned bonsai people will avoid them because they are thought to be J. virginiana hybrids. They will submit to bonsai cultivation better than J. virginiana, but they may still be a bit of problem. The "pure type form" of J. virginiana has a bad reputation as a bonsai subject. Vance Hanna and a few others have turned out good trees, but they are the exceptions. rather than the rule.

I hope my notes below help a little

BAR HARBOR - horizontalis - prostrate - can bronze some in winter, blue-ish in summer.
BLUE CHIP - horizontalis - prostrate & quite blue
BLUE RUG - J. horizontalis 'Wiltonii' - a prostrate juniper cultivar fairly blue.

BLUE PACIFIC - shore juniper - J. conferta - needle foliage - only hardy through zone 6, according to MOBOT.

BLUE PFITZER - J. chinensis or a chinensis based hybrid, foliage like a Shimpaku - pretty good for bonsai, normally scale foliage, does not revert to juvenile very easily, though it will if over-pruned. Officially J. x pfizeriana "Pfitzer Junipers" are hybrids of (chinensis x sabina)

BLUE STAR - J. squamata - needle foliage, good blue color. More upright.

GREEN SARGENT - better would be to source 'Itoigawa' or 'Kishu' Shimpaku, Green Sargent is a more coarse version of Shimpaku - J. chinensis.

GREY OWL - purportedly a J. virginiana cultivar, many suspect it is a hybrid, because it is much better behaved for bonsai than J. virginiana.

HETZI COLUMNAR - another cultivar of J. virginiana, this one found in Missouri. Needle foliage on young branches, quickly reverts to scale foliage as branch ages. Vertical growth habit. Some consider it, a hybrid (chinensis x J. virginiana). Behaves better than "pure" J. virginiana as bonsai. Some consider it J. x pfizeriana (chinensis x sabina) in which case it was an "invasive species" as the x pfitzeriana types are a European hybrid group.

PARSONI - J. davurica - used to be thought a variety of j. chinensis - grey-green scale foliage, not as tight as shimpaku, but can reduce well enough for even shohin bonsai. - low and wide growing, not upright.

ROBUSTA GREEN - a cultivar of Juniper chinensis, essentially an upright, slightly more coarse growing Shimpaku.

SEA GREEN - wider than tall growing Juniper x pfizeriana - hybrid (chinensis x sabina) - usually scale foliage, like a coarse foliage Shimpaku

TORULOSA- a cultivar of J. chinensis 'tortulosa' sometimes called 'Hollywood Juniper' - a form thought to have been discovered in California, noted for contorted shapes. Not a prostrate plant, wider than tall, though it can grow upright to 15 feet or so. Alleged to "trunk up" more quickly than some shimpaku types. Usually scale foliage though can revert to juvenile foliage as with most Shimpaku types.

Great stuff, thank you Leo!

Best of luck in your venture. As with bonsai, you will need to love being in the bonsai business to make it, otherwise it will become a real drag in a hurry. Overnight success will take at least 30 years :) Prepare for bumps in the road, and remember that sometimes it'll seem like there's more bumps than road but that's probably not true. The main thing is to always take care of your customers.

I appreciate that advice, @Zach Smith.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very nice Website, you need a specific "Check Out Page"....I would like to see some Maples...
Chuck
It has one. When you buy an item a "view cart" button appears. The cart icon is also always at the top. Or are you referring to something else?

I'm working on other varieties. My current supplier doesn't have much besides junipers, arbs, boxwood, holly, and some misc stuff like serissa. I'm looking into maples, pines, and satsuki azaleas. Probably won't get a much broader lineup until year three.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I would suggest doing grammer/spell check

So wood I ! :p

-sorry Judy, I found it really funny. As one of my teachers said when I was about 12, only imbeciles never make mistakes (approx. translation)

Otherwise, very nice layout, good job.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So wood I ! :p

-sorry Judy, I found it really funny. As one of my teachers said when I was about 12, only imbeciles never make mistakes (approx. translation)

Otherwise, very nice layout, good job.

Did you find another one? I thought I fixed them all.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
No, I aven't, but it was quiet a laugh to spot sompthing that instantly brought two separtate areas of my brains in one kind of epitomy :D

I like Judy's trees a lot, I've said that often. And I was glad to try to have a mild laugh with her, because that's the kind of laugh you have with the people you like. And that's all ;)

Top Bottom