Need advice on new website

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I just checked in on your changes. Much better, cleaner now - you have really improved the site I read through the posters since last time I commented! You should know that you are getting way high quality advice from these posters of the type I had to pay lots of money for when I made sites!!! Be extremely grateful!

A couple first impressions for your consideration, see what you thin
Keep things as simple and interesting as possible on the home page. You’ve improved quite a bit, still need some touch ups.

1. it appears your header takes up too much page space on a cellphone, not so bad on a tablet though. To solve this try to take the font size down in the “Situated in ....” on the header one or two notches then check the text for centering top to bottom.

2. Love the rotating images, however your banners/words on each need to be downsized, also make banners clear or more transparent with a complementary color with your images so folks can see the background images. Keep to only one banner text each slide and move the text up higherand the read more banner lower

3. HP Sale items: Looks much cleaner. But remember - You are selling so you want folks to see all the items with as few links as possible. (It will save them time) Post an example of each item type on your main page. “Junipers” Example a representative juniper with an anchor link to the sale junipers and all the other non sale junipers on one page, or a central stock page with all items separated into plant categories to save maintenance time later. (Maples, Junipers, Pines etc) Remember you want to move people to where they can see everything you have for sale as soon as possible. It avoids frustration. Also consider replacing the “PayPal buy now” option that you see once you go to the item’s “Quick view” The reason for this is for your customers and for you. For them, it’s almost always cheaper in the long run to purchase multiple items from an online retailer. For you: you want your customers to be able to see as many items as possible in one transaction. Instead have it changed to “Continue Shopping or View more items” so your customers can get back to viewing your stock.

3. I’d ditch the lengthy Instagram feed on the HP. Instead make it it’s own page with an Instagram link on the HP and 1, 2 or 3 cool poster’s images that links to more images on a separate page. That will clean up that part.

4. Font? Still issues with keep font integrity. I’d stick to the same font throughout. That’s for several reasons, ease on the eyes and also on the maintenance side. However that’s your call. I do like that you are using a style set though, it looks much better that way.
- It looks like Font sizing is also a bit of an issue, when you have time view the site with a laptop, a tablet and a cell and see if you’d like to make adjustments.

5. Maintenance - Always consider in the back of your mind that decisions you make in design can come back to bite you in increased upkeep and customer frustration. For example what if some one wants to purchase an item and it’s sold? It’s possible to have an easy inventory routine where you post the number available of an item which changes whenone is bought. This would interface with your stock spreadsheet so that this stays updated to... just a long term thought...

6. Finally your About us... I echo someone else’s post about getting a really nice photo of you working on Bonsai and balance it with the text.
That’s all for now! Good job to everyone helping Daniel out to o!
SSDO sends

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Great site and initiative,but watch out! someone can ruin your year if they inspect shipment and find any of the quarintine pest or weeds in the package such as japanese beetle,lantern fly,gypsy moth,pine critters and a host of others...especially in dirt.I recommend switching ti more hydro soil stuff as it is less concern.....I do not mean to hinder your endeavor.First get a nursery liscence(very easy) $40 a year.Then call usda and tell them what species you grow and ship..then they will obligegly make a compliance agreement for the various species you growStating the methods of Phytosanitary practices to rid pest and control them and inspect.....will have access to a shipping label to post on your box that all shipping facilities can see and you’ll be registered with that state as a nursery and they will not rip open your box. All quarantined pests from your area will be posted on the box that you had inspected for.....it’s easier than it sounds generally the same for every state but many have slight differences there’s a webpage you look at but the USDA in my state did all that work for me ,they just made me a nice label that list all quarantined insects and pest for my state And then it has passed certification to the best of my knowledge to ship safely....but then again I’m shipping in Hydro soil indoors. I have rules I have to follow with my practices though ....she did come out and inspect my facility (my yard basically )once to check it out.
You get your compliance agreement for the various species of tree renewed every season. There is other processes such as phytosanitary certificates available..... I have no experience with them and did not need it.I just called the lady at the USDA and tell her what I plan on shipping ....she makes me a new compliance agreementevery spring dropped it off at my house and I sign it and then I get my shipping label for the year that list all these compliance agreements inspections and that the shipment is safe.
But yeah someone can get ignorant..... fines and imprisonment ....says right on US PS website they’re kind of idiots at the post office I guess.
Japanese beetle and lantern fly in warmer state is a major issue.
This is very easy to get legal shipping if you have any questions can mail me private message✊

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
And also,it i great because we need more quality stock available in the US.
Even seedlings in cuttings .I took a hydroponic grow course and it was instrumental in me being able to grow quality stuck ,indoors even!
and sell to the bonsai community.It was very easy to get legal and I’m excited to ship with my first crop this Spring.My first attempt they all died because the nutrition was messed up, But I took a Master Growers Course and it helped me immensely and I’m excited to propagate rare and hard to grow ,finicky varieties along with the well known ones. I will grow them as good as I can hydroponically ,CO2 or whatever ....anything to get them big and healthy and strong... fast!
Good luck with your endeavor ,I say everyone do it!!
Just remember there is a farmer out there who would probably give one of his fingers to rid the world of Japanese beetle and lantern fly lol

Last edited:

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks, cmeg. Ohio is different than PA and our licensing is different. I actually need two in addition to a vendor's license. Already in the works. I'm also studying for my Ohio Certfied Nursery Tech cert. :)

Deep Sea I appreciate the comments but I've actually been doing web development for 20+ years and I'm pretty happy with the layout. Lots of subjectivity in web design, you know. Not saying there isn't room for tweaking just that I'm probably not going to change much more.

Last edited:

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks, cmeg. Ohio is different than PA and our licensing is different. I actually need two in addition to a vendor's license. Already in the works. I'm also studying for my Ohio Certfied Nursery Tech cert. :)

Deep Sea I appreciate the comments but I've actually been doing web development for 20+ years and I'm pretty happy with the layout. Lots of subjectivity in web design, you know. Not saying there isn't room for tweaking just that I'm probably not going to change much more.
The web platforms pretty Neathow much does it cost to run a website to people do it for you or what any explanation would be great thank you

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I host all my sites at ICDSoft. I have dozens of sites hosted with them so I get a reseller discount but their retail rate is still pretty cheap. I installed wordpress and then found a template I liked. I started with the free version but wanted some extra features so got the paid version for like $40 or something.

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Your WebSite is Fine however you seem to show a lot of or mostly Juniper Procumbens Nana and other close variants....
These type's generally Go Bonsai by themselves and Do Not Require much help such as Pruning, Cutting, Shaping, Wiring, Styling......
I suggest you get into and show/offer some Decidious that would possibly show your skills in Bonsai Gardening...
Your Sales offerings can be purchased at any Walmart, Mejirs, Lowes and such...…
Do something to Stand Out from the Ordinary.....
Sorry to be so Critical just my Opinion.....

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
No worries @Bolero. I had stated earlier that what is showing are leftovers from last year, all the good stuff sold, and I have more stock on the way most likely in May. But I also said that the initial intended market is beginners. Once things get going I will branch out more to other varieties and offerings. I'm taking things slow.

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
No worries @Bolero. I had stated earlier that what is showing are leftovers from last year, all the good stuff sold, and I have more stock on the way most likely in May. But I also said that the initial intended market is beginners. Once things get going I will branch out more to other varieties and offerings. I'm taking things slow.

Thank you for the explanation, it all makes sense now...

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just swung a new agreement and will be adding a line of copper bonsai wire as well. Things are coming together. Supposed to be getting the pot info in the next week or so. Will work on the wire this weekend.

And, of course, still have some tweaking and additions to do on the website.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice, glad to hear it seems to be coming along good. I look forward to the days of adding it as a bookmark. :)

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
No kidding. WHAT was I thinking? lol. Will probablu hang onto some. The shimpakus are tiny.
If you have some land put them in the ground for a few years to make a bit more profit.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The pandemic delayed my plans but my spring order of junipers finally arrived!

I manged to pick up all 60 in one trip...

View attachment 305367View attachment 305366View attachment 305365

And got them unloaded and watered...

View attachment 305364View attachment 305363View attachment 305362
OMG! I can't believe you double stacked them.
You'll sell out in no time I bet. I mean, now I don't have to browse the big box stores ;)
Are those 3 or 5g Torulosas? and what's this one hanging out the door on the right?
1590544565022.png
I cant believe the runners on those similar to torulosa/Hollywood. That's crazy robust.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The torulosa are 3G. Technically. You can see where the 1G liner was inserted and two are kinda falling out of the pot because they haven't rooted well. My source has great prices but the trade-off is that they don't always take the best care and are kinda a grab bag. Last year's shimpakus were fine. This year, small. The Blue Pfitzer are gigantic!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Does anybody here like April Grigsby Ceramics???

I just looked at her website. All in all, there are some nice pots there. However, the shape of maybe half of her pots, with the walls either perfectly vertical, or insloping, will probably lock the soil ball in place, not allowing freezing soil ball to expand. Many of her pots will break if allowed a freeze-thaw cycling. To be freeze-thaw resistant, the walls of the pot need to slope outwards, so the freezing mass of soil can expand and "float up".

Some of her pots have very nice proportions, some are a touch too deep compared to diameter. All in all, there were a few pots I would not mind having in my collection, there were more that I would not buy due to proportions or shape.

Her use of glazes is good. Colors subdued enough. Clean colors. I do like more complex blended glazes, like what Brian Soldano, Roy Minari, Randy Davis, Sam Miller, Sorce, and others do. But her glaze colors are nice and clean and subdued.

So that is my opinion. I have not seen her pottery in person, this is just my impression from her website.

Top Bottom