Need advise on Chinese Elm

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hello everyone.

I have a Chinese Elm with black spot disease. I've tried a couple of different fungicides with no results.
The tree gets about 6 hours if direct sunlight, I put it under an umbrella when I know it's going to rain so that the foliage remains dry, however, the morning dew is as bad as the rain itself.
My next step was going to be bringing it indoors and keeping it under full spectrum lighting for 12 hours a day.
Also, will be trying a systemic fungicide called Excel. I read good things about this product.

Someone in this forum advised me against bringing it indoors as this tree needs as much sun as possible.
Won't the full spectrum lighting work as well as keeping it outside?
I just need to keep the water off the foliage if this tree is going to beat black spot.
Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm not the most experienced, not at all, but I would say keeping it indoors under any light, is not the same as outdoors. 9/10 times the topic has ever been broached on this forum, the replies are always that it's not even close to being as good as outside. its not just the sun to think of, indoors and out, but the air circulation too, and probably a few other things that I can't think of.

I would also say get some pics up, and people can advise better :). Pics very important.

bilbocannon

Shohin
Reaction score
I have an elm indoors under a 900w LED as an experiment. It has only been in there for a week or so.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello everyone.

I have a Chinese Elm with black spot disease. I've tried a couple of different fungicides with no results.
The tree gets about 6 hours if direct sunlight, I put it under an umbrella when I know it's going to rain so that the foliage remains dry, however, the morning dew is as bad as the rain itself.
My next step was going to be bringing it indoors and keeping it under full spectrum lighting for 12 hours a day.
Also, will be trying a systemic fungicide called Excel. I read good things about this product.

Someone in this forum advised me against bringing it indoors as this tree needs as much sun as possible.
Won't the full spectrum lighting work as well as keeping it outside?
I just need to keep the water off the foliage if this tree is going to beat black spot.
Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Neither the morning dew nor the rain are your issue. If these were the cause of black spot, then every Chinese elm in the landscape would have black spot and we know they don't. Typically there are stressors involved. So let's start with the most important question, what is your soil like? If your tree was a "mallsai," then most likely it's potted in a god-awful poorly draining suffocating soil. This stresses the tree tremendously, making it susceptible to all manner of diseases. You'll need to repot into a free-draining mix, being sure to wash out all of the bad soil in the process. Then give the tree some time to regain strength. I wouldn't treat with fungicide until you start seeing new growth, at which point you'll know if it's necessary.

Good luck!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The only reason that I want to bring it indoors is to keep the foliage from getting wet while battling Black Spot.
I live in NJ and days here are hot (upper 80's) while the night Temps dip to the low 60's and this creates a great amount of morning dew. Even when the rain water doesn't touch the tree the morning dew is as bad.
This is the only reason why I would like to bring it indoors.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi Zach.

I'm sure the soil is not the issue as all my trees are in the same exact mix 50% crushed lava rock, 25% Akadama and 25% potting mix.
I keep a tooth pick in the soil and water only when needed.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Zach.

I'm sure the soil is not the issue as all my trees are in the same exact mix 50% crushed lava rock, 25% Akadama and 25% potting mix.
I keep a tooth pick in the soil and water only when needed.
Okay, sounds like the soil isn't your problem. Has the tree been putting on new growth?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi Zach.

Yes it's currently pushing out new growth and I just finished spraying it with a systemic fungicide.
When I first noticed the black spot (about a month ago) I sprayed it with Daconil fungicide, but it didn't do anything, then I tried a soap based fungicide and nothing.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Clearly you think bringing it inside is the best thing to do and you're really looking for someone to tell you it's ok. I count 4 or 5 people now on 2 different threads that have told you it's better to leave it outside. So you should leave it out.

Or bring it in like you want. You do have morning dew after all...

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you getting good air circulation (or any at all? We go very still down here in summer)? Is the new growth showing the black spot? Have you tried a copper-based fungicide?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Smoke.
Next time I need a spell check I'll contact you.
Spell check won't help. You spelled advise correct, just didn't use the right word. I have been here 12 years, I have seen advise and advice used wrong so many times I am beginning to think they don't teach anything in our school systems. I am 61 years old, I have no idea how old you are but if someone corrects your grammer and is correct, to be sarcastic and not accept the advice is foolish. I would just as soon you say "thank you" and move on.

"Any other questions." is a question and should end with a question mark. Just keeping you on your toes. ;)

That's punctuation, I never correct that, this is the internet, everyone uses the shortcuts. Recently I saw a title here about JAP Maples. Probably a spic or slope, greaser, or heeb, towelhead, or sand jocky, a spade or oakie or WOP wrote it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Can't tell if the new growth has it yet as it only started popping out a day ago.
Maybe I'll just wait and see.
Plenty of air circulation here.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Spell check won't help. You spelled advise correct, just didn't use the right word. I have been here 12 years, I have seen advise and advice used wrong so many times I am beginning to think they don't teach anything in our school systems. I am 61 years old, I have no idea how old you are but if someone corrects your grammer and is correct, to be sarcastic and not accept the advice is foolish. I would just as soon you say "thank you" and move on.

That's punctuation, I never correct that, this is the internet, everyone uses the shortcuts. Recently I saw a title here about JAP Maples. Probably a spic or slope, greaser, or heeb, towelhead, or sand jocky, a spade or oakie or WOP wrote it.

Your and you're is even worser.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I keep chinese elms in a closet with a 20 watt incandescent light bulb. 3 hours a day. For air circulation I have a hair dryer blowing on it.
I keep the junipers on the T.V. in front of the heat register.
They all do wonderfully.
Except the Japanese White Pine I keep behind the toilet. I read that too much gas is bad for them.
Who knew?
Anyway,I hope this helps answer some questions.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ouch! I think I might be one of those colorful euphemisms, but I can take it. :cool:

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You're correct smoke this is the internet and most people like myself don't type anymore, we use this thing called "Google Voice" and sometimes it picks up the wrong words.
Welcome to the 21st century.

Top Bottom