Need advise

quarinteen

Seed
Reaction score
Hello all. I am new to bonsai trees. I had them in the past but they always die on me pretty quick. I do not have a green thumb at all. I just got a new juniper and I put it outside and it was out to long I guess. I live in Vegas and it was like 105. Anyways the leaves on it are starting to turn brown, and they are starting to become “crunchy” is the best way I can describe it. How can I bring this back? I put it outside because I keep it a little cool in the house and thought it may need some sun light. I have literally had this for 10 days

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Our semi long lost friend @milehigh_7 has kept things in Vegas for some time.
Do search his content. Specifically the need to use substrate that needs to be watered often, as opposed to a highly water retentive mix that boils and kills trees.

Welcome to Crazy.

If you're not watering e times a day, your trees will probly die.
If your soil doesn't need to be watered 3 times a day to stay moist, your trees will probly die.

Sorce

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I second that, 105°F and low humidity equals dry soil. Like @sorce said, it’s not unusual to need to water a tree 2-3 times a day; morning, noon, and evening. Just check the soil, if it’s dry, water it. If it’s moist, leave it be - maybe give it a mist.
Also, there’s a fine chance that your crunchy juniper has gone too far. Junipers are pretty tolerant, but once they get to a certain point, they tend to be a bit unforgiving.
Good luck! And don’t give up - grab another $5-$10 juniper from a garden center for practice.

Edit: Also, of course a free draining bonsai soil is a must. You can search the many, many threads about proper soil.

Last edited:

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm glad the soil science question has been successfully solved. Recommending that a prospect buy another victim of the same genre is really good advice, too. What's that quote? "Doing the same thing over again and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity?" If it is too difficult to keep a juniper outdoors, then stop keeping Junipers and stop keeping anything outdoors until enough experience is gained to keep something alive for some reasonable period of time.

The question of proper growing media for this or that is disputed here constantly and we don't come to blows only because we can't find each other, and recommending that a newbee step into that morass right off the bat is... _ _ _ _ _ _. If I use the proper word here I'll make more enemies, so I'll let each of us fill in the blanks.

The OP needs to describe his apartment window situation, and his outdoor growing exposure, too. He needs to go back to the store where he bought his dead tree and make a list of what else they are selling, especially those trees that appeal to him. Don't ask for advice there. They already had a chance to sell him something that suited his situation and failed. Come back here, possibly with some cell phone photos and we'll kick around his prospects. It's worthless to discuss, "look for this or that species" without knowing what limited choice is available, and buying something from an online vendor is going to more expensive, so lets walk before we run as cheaply as possible.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
We kill trees - It is an unfortunate reality of beginning to learn the art of bonsai. But each failure is an opportunity to learn. Ask questions, read everything you can, watch every Heron Bonsai and Nigel Saunders video that you can handle, and try not to allow discouragement to knock you off course for too long. This way one avoids the risk of “Doing the same thing over again and expecting a different result.” As each time you attempt, you’re staring with experience and knowledge and wisdom that you didn’t have during your previous attempts.
Being in Las Vegas is going to offer a few challenges that probably most folks on this forum aren’t familiar with, but there are undoubtedly plenty of people who ARE familiar who will be of great help. Definitely look to see if there’s a Bonsai Society near by, genuine human guidance is almost always the best path.
Ultimately this is your bonsai journey, so go at It at your own pace. You’ll get there.

Top Bottom