Need an expert I think

Miagiwanabe

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello again. I did receive some help but I would really appreciate some more advice. I need to be told exactly what to do with this tree if possible.never had a tree this big that has been dug out of ground to go in pot. considering the information below. Just to keep it healthy for this growing season and give me time to learn more about it. Thanks. My acer is still in temporary bucket with the soil that it came with. It was dug up out of a garden from the man I got it from. The root ball measures 25 inch across and 10 inch deep. The tree is 4.5ft tall, 3ft wide and the trunk is 4inch thick at the bottom. I was going to cut a 45 gallon drum in half and use that for the pot, I don’t have anywhere to plant it in the ground. To fill that pot with akadama is going to cost about £200. I didn’t realise it was going to cost so much. If that is necessary I’ll pay it. If not please advise. Do I need to shake the soil off that it has or do I just put it in as it is, then fill rest of pot with something else like compost with gravel or perlite, or something else ? I live in Newcastle in the north east of England. Thanks again for any advice. Really need to get it done ASAP

Attachments

• 474ABCA0-D7A0-4ECA-BBC5-1C496F1AEE18.jpeg
    474ABCA0-D7A0-4ECA-BBC5-1C496F1AEE18.jpeg
    329 KB · Views: 54

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
You do need to get on with this.
The larger the pot the less important the soil becomes. Better potting mix usually reduces the chances of problems associated with watering.
A premium commercial potting mix would be my choice for this tree but you could probably get away with a lower priced mix if you monitor water more carefully. I would advise care using compost in a potting mix unless you have had experience using it as potting mix before. Home made compost can dry out and become really difficult to water.

I know many collectors retain as much soil on the roots as possible but I find soil interferes with drainage in pots. I get better results when I shake off excess soil before potting collected trees into good potting soil.

Miagiwanabe

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for reply. I really need someone to tell me exactly what to use, what it’s called, what size pot, where to put it. I know it’s probably difficult when you can’t actually see it but just the definitive best chance for survival of the tree is what I’m after.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I really need someone to tell me exactly what to use, what it’s called, what size pot, where to put it. I know it’s probably difficult when you can’t actually see it but just the definitive best chance for survival of the tree is what I’m after.
Problem is there is not one definitive answer. Everyone will do it a little different and the tree will still do well in nearly all cases.
Hope one of your locals can give some brand names for suitable potting mixes.

You mentioned half 45 gal drum which should be about the right size temporary pot for this. Just make sure it has plenty of drain holes. Wooden box about the same size is an alternative. They can be made from recycled shipping pallets if you don't care that it will rot away in a few years.

After potting I would find a site with afternoon shade so there is less stress on the roots to provide water to all those thirsty leaves. The leaves will probably wilt. Might even all drop off as it has had major root trauma. Chances are it will grow new leaves after a few weeks when the new roots start.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The thing is right now, the tree is leafed out. That is the WORST time to bare root and repot a maple especially if you are cutting roots.

Leaves + compromised roots = lots of transpiration out of the leaves with interrupted water delivery to the leaves = very compromised and possible dead tree.

You said it was dug out of the ground already this year?? How long ago was that. This is another reason to NOT repot it again right now.
The tree is already stressed by being dug out of the ground already. You mess with it again, you might very well kill it.

Miagiwanabe

Seedling
Reaction score
It was dug out ground on Friday and put in bucket. Need to put it in big pot with more soil or something. Just want a method of doing this so tree doesn’t die. Or just my best chance.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It was dug out ground on Friday and put in bucket. Need to put it in big pot with more soil or something. Just want a method of doing this so tree doesn’t die. Or just my best chance.
Oh no! :( Well.... almost everything that WOULD lead to this tree’s death has already happened...

Did someone tell you to “pull it” while in leaf? They would have surely also explained the aftercare steps... OR encouraged you NOT to... maybe it was a necessary pull.

It seems to have enough trunk to SURVIVE.... but I feel that the stress/trauma of that Ill-timed root disruption will end up... um.. “compartmentally downsizing” at least a lil’.

So to answer your question..... I would pot it however disrupts the roots THE LEAST... Into soil that somewhat resembles the soil already “all up in” the rootball... basically... trying to hit “undo”

Listen to @Shibui

and @Paradox

;)

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would leave the tree alone for this year as much as possible. Find some general potting soil to put around the tree and leave whatever soil is on it at this point, as if you rip off more roots now, it probably won't survive. You will have to water very carefully, making sure the soil that the trees roots are in get wet when you water, as it will try to run off and just wet the potting soil you place around the current rootball.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Bonsai is the art and science of A); reducing the canopy to limit the amount of resources that can be used by the roots to grow, and B); reducing the roots to limit the amount of resources that can be gathered to send to the canopy to use. Return to A)., ad infinitum.

Adhering to the "One major insult per year" philosophy, you're done for this year. Keep it in dappled shade and don't let it suffer drought. This fall when the leaves drop reduce the top by 1/3, next spring reduce the roots the same. Keep that up each year, or every other year until it can fit in your pocket!

Miagiwanabe

Seedling
Reaction score
😂😁👍🏻thanks for all the advice. Bonsai or not I just love small trees. 6ft or pocket size is fine with me. The Man who had the tree was getting his garden landscaped and the tree was already out the ground. He was going to bin it, but Someone had told him it might be worth something so I bought it cheap. Worth a shot. It had been a bonsai originally but was left uncared for so he stuck it in the ground and let it go. I’ve spoken to peter at willow bog bonsai and he has advised me on the best course of action in great detail. Thanks for all the reply’s and help. It’s in its new pot, with good quality soil and grit, in dappled shade, with a little sun in the morning, out of the wind, with good drainage..... phew....I’ll let yous know how it gets on. Adios amigos 😁👍🏻

Top Bottom