Need an ID on this jade.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anyone have an idea as to what it I? It came with a Crassula Obliqua so “could” be the same species but it’s leaf shape looks a li’l different from its buddy.

Now I love me some variegation but this ones so white I’m actually not sure how stable it will be. Could it be just a 2nd Obliqua with some extreme variegation going on?

47F11246-731B-497F-8360-339AE17DA62A.jpeg

Next to the Obliqua
2F39C859-D676-4FD0-833F-11DDF2A52FFF.jpeg

thanks

zanduh

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
looking at pictures maybe Crassula Ovata Lemon and Lime?8C8B3331-E4F8-4239-83ED-001262D80339.jpeg

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi 🙂

It did cross my mind that it could be a lemon&lime. The one ones of those I have to compare it too in the flesh are really tiny right now. I guess I might have to wait until it straightens up a bit more and see if it gets the “wings” of Obliqua or not.
Given how pale it is I am expecting some seriously slow growth, usually when potting up I’ll remove some leaves but with so little green to photosynthesize I decided to leave “everything“ in place.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is very common for variegated plants to produce leaves with a range of variegation from very little to complete with chlorophyll lacking as you pictured. And often on succulents like this the leaf shape and even the growth habit can vary significantly.
Just care for it and let it grow, it hasn't finished expressing itself yet .... it has a story to tell.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is very common for variegated plants to produce leaves with a range of variegation from very little to complete with chlorophyll lacking as you pictured. And often on succulents like this the leaf shape and even the growth habit can vary significantly.
Just care for it and let it grow, it hasn't finished expressing itself yet .... it has a story to tell.
I love it, I love me some variegated leaves but man this one is extreme even for me 😂😂. It’ll get some nice bright sun this afternoon….s’gonna need it with those leaves,

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you ever decide you simple can't accept it, I will buy it from you and pay for the shipping. Of course it would never be a bonsai but I love extreme variegation.

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
If you ever want to 'darken up' the variegation, shade can do wonders. I've consistently found that variegated plants will pump more chlorophyll into their variegated leaves to compensate for a lower light situation, and will have much less 'white space'. You could experiment and see what results you get.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I have a veriegated serissa and just learned that it has larger leaves due in part to the chloroform issue. I bought a slew of them on Ebay and I'm crazy about them but the leaves are larger than others I'd seen and since bought. They hadn't been pinched back properly so I think that was also part of the reason the leaves are larger too. Good tip about the shade but these seem to love the sun. Wonder if that's in part because they're veriegated?

@penumbra Are you not able to find the lemon/lime jade plant where you are? I'll keep an eye out here if you're looking for one. Not sure I've ever noticed them before but I also haven't looked. I keep a succulent garden but don't pay too much attention to them because they take care of themselves and the jade plants I have are happy there.

My first 'bonsai' was a jade I bought ten years ago but I treated it like a house plant so hesitate to call it a bonsai. I also bought a mini jade recently because the seller was practically giving it away and I figured I'd give it a home...Came in a bonsai pot and was big and healthy.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My guess is that this is the same variety as the other one you have. I've always called this variety 'tricolor' -- but regardless of what I call it, I've noticed quite a bit of variation in leaf size, shape, and color, depending upon conditions. In fact, all of my C. ovata varieties seem to produce leaf variations this way. This can be demonstrated by striking cuttings from the same parent plant and placing both in different conditions. I wish I knew what environmental factors produce which leaf variations.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you ever want to 'darken up' the variegation, shade can do wonders. I've consistently found that variegated plants will pump more chlorophyll into their variegated leaves to compensate for a lower light situation, and will have much less 'white space'. You could experiment and see what results you get.
My experience is the opposite.

Top Bottom