Need design advice for my yew

arda

Seed
Reaction score
I found a great Yew in my local nursery. I bought it early august 2014. I made no changes on its envioronment nor in soil since today. I transferred it to its training pot. It seems very hard for me to make a design on this tree. Any helps are appreciated.
IMG_3301.JPG IMG_3302.JPG IMG_3303.JPG

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I suggest you allow it to grow for this year without removing anything more, and begin to consider styling options in the winter.

arda

Seed
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer Brian. I will wait than, but what do you suggest me for styling? Which style suits most for this tree in your opinion?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would make a practice of coaxing the New branches to grow down, and eventually you will find a style.

As it is, kind of hard to know what will live.

Looks like one of the trunks may have a Nice line. Lotta low jins. Just don't let anymore branches grow strait up!

Sorce

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would let it go for 2 complete season and see were it decides to grow and they way/direction it goes. After 2 seasons you will be able to cut it, carve it, shape and train growth. It is the "mighty" Yew but it is still coniferous and after this cut you really need to let it get established. The one I have recently dug will sit for 3 years and if it is alive I will then be able to work it without killing it.

Grimmy

Top Bottom