Need Diagnoses for Kiyohime JM Disease

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey All,

I noticed this blotchy black and grey mark along a large sacrifice branch on my Kiyohime during the winter. The splitting in the middle is relatively new. Could anyone advise me on a plan of action and treatment. Should I chop the whole branch before it infects the entire tree, if it hasn't already? Or are there other options.

Thanks in advance to any help I can get.

Attachments

• 2014-05-06_11-52-28_65.jpg
    2014-05-06_11-52-28_65.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 254

Telperion

Seedling
Reaction score
That may be pseudomonas, which is a fungal dz in maples.
Where do you winter your trees?
Where are you located?
Commercial growers of a palm in Oregon have taken to putting hoop houses over the trees in the field for the winter.
It's not terrible. It probably won't kill the tree.
Cut off the infected part.
Hope that helps,
Chris

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chris, does this look like verticillium wilt at all?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Chris, does this look like verticillium wilt at all?

Yes very similar except not necessarily deadly [pseudomonas]. This year I am having it on a couple of trees. It may be due to our cold and at times wet spring this year. I treat it with a product called Zerotol as per an article form Michael Hagedorn with excellent results.

Edit: I agree with Chris that to me it looks to be pseudomonas rather than verticillium.

Last edited:

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Most likely Verticillium -it commonly infects Acers. see attached link- http://learningstore.uwex.edu/assets/pdfs/A2537.pdf

I purchased a tree over the winter that has an area just like the picture in the OP. It leafed out and is growing fine, so whatever it is probably isn't lethal to the tree(assuming that it is the same as what affected my maple).

edit: in hindsight, bringing it into my yard without knowing the cause for the dieback was stupid. A lot of the trees in the nursery aren't in optimal condition because the owner is aging and is unable to care for a lot of them, so I thought it was just some dieback for whatever reason (mine is located at the top of the tree and runs down about 3-4 inches, but the dead portion is only about half of the diameter). I do know that the other maples in close proximity didn't appear to be affected other than normal branch tip dieback.

Last edited:

Telperion

Seedling
Reaction score
Yes, pseudomonas aeruginosa is a gram negative bacteria - even if it's not in humans.
There is also a fungus called pseudomonas that causes that black discoloration of the trunk.
Verticillium is also a good thought.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow, thanks for the all of the timely replies! I think the best course of action would be to cut the infected branch and hope the rest of the tree isn't inflicted.

Would quarantining the tree from my others be advisable?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow, great article! I'm pretty certain that's what this is. Thanks again for the great insight!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Beginning to think this is a lost cause...:(

After cutting off the large branch from my initial post. I inspected closely today and realized I overlooked an even greater area of concern.

I'm gonna cut this branch off at the base and see if there is any rotting going from the base and potentially into the trunk...

Thoughts anyone?

Attachments

• IMG_4015.jpg
    IMG_4015.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_4016.jpg
    IMG_4016.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_4017.jpg
    IMG_4017.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 107
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm running out of branches to cut off...

So I made the cut, It appears to rotting further into the trunk...

I put some cut paste over for the moment because it's about to rain like crazy. What should be my next move? I wasn't planning on trunk chopping, but should I do that as a precaution?

Attachments

• IMG_4019.jpg
    IMG_4019.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 111
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here's an update. Cut all potentially tainted areas out and covered with the "tube" cut paste. It hasn't really back budded or shot out any significant growth. Just trying to maintain the current health and see where it takes me. Hopefully I'll have a positive update in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_4068.jpg
    IMG_4068.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 101
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Kiyohime Spring 2015 resized.jpg Update:

Things were looking pretty sad last year. Removed move blackened areas that were moving towards the trunk. By the end of summer, most of the leaves were irregular or somewhat dry/scorched. Granted it wasn't in the best soil, I repotted 2 weeks ago just as buds were about to open. Basically 90% bare rooted during the repot. I'm going with the latest fad of planting everything in colanders and my work schedule usually allows for me to water around 9am and again at 3pm. Relatively even mix of pumice, lava, turfice (hey, it's cheap and easy) and a sprinkle of charcoal. Also added some sifted sphagnum moss to the top. It's been in some shade from a larger tree in the yard that has not leafed out so I may need to relocate later. Leaves so far look good and I'm looking to start a slight fertilizer in the next week or so and then a neem oil/ protekt spray maybe next week when the leaves have fully hardened off.

Thoughts?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks to be recovering to me! I am having what I fear is a similar problem that has killed a few small expensive specimens in a very short amount of time :(

Grimmy

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
good update, looks promising. Sorry to hear that grim, hope you find a solution. If you can find some zerotol grab it up, it's a discontinued product.

Top Bottom