Need help asap please

BonsaiForGio

Seedling
Reaction score
I recently purchased a trident maple on the 9th of September, and something is wrong with several of the leaves and I need help figuring out what's wrong so I can fix it asap please. When my bonsai arrived, several of the leaves had portions of black/grey areas that I assume are dead/dying, I'm new to bonsai and want to properly care for my trees. First image is my grove, and the second highlights the issue.

Attachments

• 20200908_183031.jpg
    20200908_183031.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 20200908_183004.jpg
    20200908_183004.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 99
Reactions: YAN

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome Aboard!

Hmm.... looks to me a couple things are going on.

Also the new leaves definitely aren't as green as they should be compared to mine, so it almost looks like your forest has a fertilizer issue or was kept in the dark for awhile.

It could be underwatered or overwatered. Funny, sometimes it looks the same for both. Or the ubiquitous fall fungus.

But Tridents are tough, so not to get too touchy at this time.

Tell use more:
1. Enter your approximate location in your profile so we can tell where you are and know approximately what conditions the trees are in.
2. Tell us about the particulars of the purchase. Since its only 2 days in your possession whatever has happened occurred before you. So:
  • Where did you purchase this forest? Location of seller...
  • Was it in transit?
  • If so, about how long?
  • Where are you keeping it now? (how much sun?)
Cheers
DSD sends

BonsaiForGio

Seedling
Reaction score
Welcome Aboard!

Hmm.... looks to me a couple things are going on.

Also the new leaves definitely aren't as green as they should be compared to mine, so it almost looks like your forest has a fertilizer issue or was kept in the dark for awhile.

It could be underwatered or overwatered. Funny, sometimes it looks the same for both. Or the ubiquitous fall fungus.

But Tridents are tough, so not to get too touchy at this time.

Tell use more:
1. Enter your approximate location in your profile so we can tell where you are and know approximately what conditions the trees are in.
2. Tell us about the particulars of the purchase. Since its only 2 days in your possession whatever has happened occurred before you. So:
  • Where did you purchase this forest? Location of seller...
  • Was it in transit?
  • If so, about how long?
  • Where are you keeping it now? (how much sun?)
Cheers
DSD sends

Thanks for getting back to me, I live in Southern California, long Beach area and I bought the tree from a website called Brussels Bonsai. It did however take way too long to deliver because it was supposed to arrive in 3-4 days but FedEx took 8 days to deliver the tree. At the moment I have it outside in my backyard where it would get a couple hours of full sun earlier in the day, and full shade later in the day around 4 or 5. Unfortunately, because of the wildfires nearby, it's been pretty gloomy lately. I watered it thoroughly when it arrived because I was already scared of it being dead from how long it took to arrive. Since then, I water once the top 2 centimeters of my tree get dry, is that too soon or not soon enough?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ok, that makes a lot of sense now.

Let's attribute most of the issues to the travel time and abuse for now....

Here's what I'd recommend.

Keep in dappled sunlight and out of the prevailing wind if possible right now. If things perk up, move to 1/2 day in a week or so and out of the wind.

Spray the leaves in the early morning to get the ash off. You can cover the media so you don't over water. First check the media beforehand by putting your finger down 1" or so and see if its moist. If not, water as described below right away. (One of my kids is in San Diego and they are having to spray their vegetation at least 2x/day)

Check for moisture at 3pm. If not moist, water thoroughly, leaves, trunk, media. Make sure leaves to dry before sundown... in Puget Sound, that means to water at 3pm now.

My guess is that you may need to water 2x a day if its really dry due to the Santa Anna's, but in dappled sun you may need to only water 1x. I water 1X day regularly. If you feel you are watering too much, "Chock up" one side of the pot to lower the water table. That will help dry things out more.

Fertilize the forest with a liquid low nitrogen fertilizer in a week and then every two weeks until the weather gets reliably cooler, say mid-end October by that time the leaves should be starting to turn.

Hopefully one of the SoCal folks will pick up on this thread and you can chat will them too.

Keep us posted!

Cheers
DSD sends

BonsaiForGio

Seedling
Reaction score
Ok, that makes a lot of sense now.

Let's attribute most of the issues to the travel time and abuse for now....

Here's what I'd recommend.

Keep in dappled sunlight and out of the prevailing wind if possible right now. If things perk up, move to 1/2 day in a week or so and out of the wind.

Spray the leaves in the early morning to get the ash off. You can cover the media so you don't over water. First check the media beforehand by putting your finger down 1" or so and see if its moist. If not, water as described below right away. (One of my kids is in San Diego and they are having to spray their vegetation at least 2x/day)

Check for moisture at 3pm. If not moist, water thoroughly, leaves, trunk, media. Make sure leaves to dry before sundown... in Puget Sound, that means to water at 3pm now.

My guess is that you may need to water 2x a day if its really dry due to the Santa Anna's, but in dappled sun you may need to only water 1x. I water 1X day regularly. If you feel you are watering too much, "Chock up" one side of the pot to lower the water table. That will help dry things out more.

Fertilize the forest with a liquid low nitrogen fertilizer in a week and then every two weeks until the weather gets reliably cooler, say mid-end October by that time the leaves should be starting to turn.

Hopefully one of the SoCal folks will pick up on this thread and you can chat will them too.

Keep us posted!

Cheers
DSD sends

Thank you so much this helps alot!

YAN

Yamadori
Reaction score
If a member named Sorce welcomes you to CRAZY don’t be scared we’re not.🤪

did you check first if that species is suitable for your climate? It may need colder dormancy winters, that kept my hands off it.

welcome to bonsai nut

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Having just moved from Orange County, make sure you check your water. My water out of the tap had a pH of 8.0. That is far too alkaline for trident maples. You may have a water softener that lowers the pH, or your irrigation water might be different from what mine was. If you can't get the water pH down, at the minimum, make sure you use an acid fertilizer.

And make sure you shelter it when the Santa Anas are blowing. I kept my trident in almost total shade (bright indirect light) on hot summer days when the dry winds were howling.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks mighty congested. Just a little opening up can keep that black from coming back.

Welcome to Crazy!

Don't listen to that guy up there about to fly a thousand miles with trees in his pocket! He ain't crazy! Lol!

Sorce

BonsaiForGio

Seedling
Reaction score
It looks mighty congested. Just a little opening up can keep that black from coming back.

Welcome to Crazy!

Don't listen to that guy up there about to fly a thousand miles with trees in his pocket! He ain't crazy! Lol!

Sorce

What do you mean by a little opening up?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What do you mean by a little opening up?

Keep leaves from touching, especially, or also after watering. This "wetting" together of leaves is what helps the fungals take hold. More air.

It'll probably get better just being drier where you are. So be careful not to over do it opening.

Sorce

BonsaiForGio

Seedling
Reaction score
Keep leaves from touching, especially, or also after watering. This "wetting" together of leaves is what helps the fungals take hold. More air.

It'll probably get better just being drier where you are. So be careful not to over do it opening.

Sorce

Ok awesome, thank you

Top Bottom