Need help beating the weather!

Reaction score
Extremely new to Bonsai here but very excited and really trying to get some things going here before winter sets in.

Here’s where the weather issue comes in. I live in Northern utah (zone 5 I guess?)where hot and dry summers are coupled with bitter winters that are also very dry.

I have one small English box shrub (or three.. not sure yet, super excited) I’ll be replanting in the next couple days and some type of juniper (pictures to come). I’ve been reading a lot and watching a lot of videos but I haven’t found a lot of useful information for my situation.

I’m very interested in all types of bonsai indoor and out so I’m willing to work with the plants I currently have to find them a nice place to sit. Any help would go a long way!!!

Reaction score
Update:

My juniper, I just found out, was recently replanted and I feel like they did a terrible job.. will I cause the plant too much stress and possibly lose it if I replant it now?

There’s a branch growing out of the ground attached to the tree..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 41

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

No need to pot anything yet!

Pics..more pics!

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Welcome.
There are a few members here from Utah. Perhaps they will chime in when you need help.
Are you growing outdoor hardy trees, or indoors for winter, subtropicals or tropicals?
The juniper, if it was outside all summer it could handle a Utah winter. They need to be acclimated, at least 2 months before first frost it needs to be outside especially at night to harden off and adapt for winter.

The English box, I'm not certain which species or variety you have. One variety is very cold tolerant, others need protection. Does the label say?

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fellow Utahn here. I'm a few months late... sorry. How are your trees doing? Luckily we've had a really mild winter here so far, so if you put them outside back in October they've had plenty of time to acclimate.

Top Bottom