Need help diagnosing

Bojank2112

Seed
Reaction score
hi, I am new to bonsai and I have some questions. My tree (series's) was purchased one month ago. After 2 weeks, leaves fell off. Now, remaining leaves/new growth are browning from the tips in. Am I over/under watering? Or is it more likely the nursery potted it in standard gardening soil?

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hi, I am new to bonsai and I have some questions. My tree (series's) was purchased one month ago. After 2 weeks, leaves fell off. Now, remaining leaves/new growth are browning from the tips in. Am I over/under watering? Or is it more likely the nursery potted it in standard gardening soil?
Welcome! A picture would be helpful as well as what type of tree it is and do you keep it inside or out?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Serissa?

I reckon.

@Mellow Mullet keeps them well in the Dirty.

@Anthony knows them.

And @GrimLore has a few up north I believe.

Where is your location?

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Bojank2112

Seed
Reaction score
It's a Serissa and I am located in the Pacific Northwest. The tree gets supplemented sunlight due to not having much here, and I try not to stick too much to a watering schedule as much as I can. I try checking the soil moisture to determine if it needs to be watered.

Attachments

• IMG_9276.JPG
    IMG_9276.JPG
    286.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_9278.JPG
    IMG_9278.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 26

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like a Serissa s.

All I can offer [ Tropics ] is we found that the pot should have a porous bottom. Can be glazed on the sides
but the bottom needs to be porous.

Will ask @Mellow Mullet, to take over as his climate is closer to yours.

We grow this Chinese serissa in full sun.
Good Day
Anthony

@sorce
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Twice [ the Sageretia item as well ]

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Your tree looks to be in much better condition than I was fearing from your initial description.

Serrisas can be fussy trees. They don't like changes. Change in light, change in temp, change in roots, and they can drop all their leaves. The key is consistency. Additionally they have weak roots that are prone to root rot if you don't have them potted in well-draining soil and a well-draining pot. They like a lot of water, but do not like wet feet.

Your leaves are really dark green (which is good). The browning on the tips could be due to (1) a sudden shift to much brighter light (2) fungus (though it doesn't look like it to me) (3) leaf burn due to salts in the soil / too much fertilizer / bad water.

I see a lot of dark green leggy growth. Is the tree being heavily fertilized?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I haven't fertilized it; since it was purchased it was repotted, so I avoided any kind of fertilizer

I don't have any other solid ideas. Water in the PNW is usually excellent. Humidity should be high - unless you keep your windows closed and your home highly dehumidified. What sort of light it is getting?

Top Bottom