Need help identifying bonsai

D

Deleted member 35074

Hello, I've literally never used this site before but I hope I'm doing this right- So I was given a bonsai as a surprise gift and just doing a quick google search after receiving it I realized this is a very special plant that I feel requires a decent amount of knowledge to take care of- but I also realized that there's tons of varieties !!! Can someone please help me identify mine so I can make sure I'm taking care of it it properly? Also any other advice would be realllly cool. Thank you

Attachments

• 20210210_131132_HDR.jpg
    20210210_131132_HDR.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210210_131127_HDR.jpg
    20210210_131127_HDR.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 20210210_131109_HDR.jpg
    20210210_131109_HDR.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210210_131037_HDR.jpg
    20210210_131037_HDR.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 32

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Juniper, probably procumbens but not sure. It is an outdoors plant. It is not a house plant.

D

Deleted member 35074

Juniper, probably procumbens but not sure. It is an outdoors plant. It is not a house plant.
Ooh ok!! Thank you very much!! :0 Does it stay outside pretty much 100% of the time? Even in colder weather?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Most likely a Juniper procumbens. Yes, they stay out side. I have heard that if it gets really cold, you can bring them in for a night and I have before, but I usually leave mine out all year even on he coldest of nights, but it does only get down to about 27 degrees fahrenheit here. I have a tiny Juniper cutting that I started last year and have left it out all year and its doing great. ;) Mine looked just like when I got it. Here is a pic of it now. I cut the branch that swoops to the side and this is what it has grown into. They grow up so fast.20210118_150157.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does it stay outside pretty much 100% of the time? Even in colder weather?

Except for circumstances like this, when they come from a warm greenhouse, or the south.

Kinda puts you in a jam nursing it along until you can get it outside.

That's part of Crazy! Welcome!

"The gift that keeps on taking!"

Sorce

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
This looks like a mall type bonsai with glued on rocks and organic soil.

If you are interested in bonsai and learning more about maintaining/developing these junipers in pots, I would highly recommend that you get this plant into some better soil, inorganic soil. This will give you some good starter experience on repotting as well. Not sure where you are located (you can add your location in your avatar) but if you are in US you will have a bit more time to get this into better soil before repotting season ends.

D

Deleted member 35074

Most likely a Juniper procumbens. Yes, they stay out side. I have heard that if it gets really cold, you can bring them in for a night and I have before, but I usually leave mine out all year even on he coldest of nights, but it does only get down to about 27 degrees fahrenheit here. I have a tiny Juniper cutting that I started last year and have left it out all year and its doing great. ;) Mine looked just like when I got it. Here is a pic of it now. I cut the branch that swoops to the side and this is what it has grown into. They grow up so fast.View attachment 353477
Ah ok, thank you ! Also it's super pretty !!

D

Deleted member 35074

If you put your general location in your profile people will be able to give you more specific advice on care.
Ah ok, I'm sorry- I'll do that right now !

D

Deleted member 35074

This looks like a mall type bonsai with glued on rocks and organic soil.

If you are interested in bonsai and learning more about maintaining/developing these junipers in pots, I would highly recommend that you get this plant into some better soil, inorganic soil. This will give you some good starter experience on repotting as well. Not sure where you are located (you can add your location in your avatar) but if you are in US you will have a bit more time to get this into better soil before repotting season ends.
I'm not certain where my friend got it from, but I do know that the rocks and such are fortunately not glued on ! :) But If there is better soil for it though then that is in my best interest to get some- is that what its called? Inorganic soil?

D

Deleted member 35074

Except for circumstances like this, when they come from a warm greenhouse, or the south.

Kinda puts you in a jam nursing it along until you can get it outside.

That's part of Crazy! Welcome!

"The gift that keeps on taking!"

Sorce
thank you for the welcome haha

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
I'm not certain where my friend got it from, but I do know that the rocks and such are fortunately not glued on ! :) But If there is better soil for it though then that is in my best interest to get some- is that what its called? Inorganic soil?
Good to know that they aren't glued on! 😀

You can do some research on inorganic bonsai soil, APL (Akadama-Pumice-Lava) is the most common and generally a 1:1:1 mix is used for junipers.

I am also in TX. If you're in the Houston area then we have a few good vendors here where you can get reasonably priced soil: Quality Feed & Garden (sells smaller bags), Timeless Trees, etc. You may also want to get a small amount ~100g of 2mm aluminum wire for the repotting process.

D

Deleted member 35074

Good to know that they aren't glued on! 😀

You can do some research on inorganic bonsai soil, APL (Akadama-Pumice-Lava) is the most common and generally a 1:1:1 mix is used for junipers.

I am also in TX. If you're in the Houston area then we have a few good vendors here where you can get reasonably priced soil: Quality Feed & Garden (sells smaller bags), Timeless Trees, etc. You may also want to get a small amount ~100g of 2mm aluminum wire for the repotting process.
Yeah ! :)
And alright! I've never heard of that before so thank you for informing me :0
woow neat! I searched for those places and they look cool! I'm a bit far away but still- thank you for letting me know!

D

Deleted member 35074

We heard rumors you were coming. People will be around to gawk shortly. 😉

That's a movie riddle.

Sorce
Wait riddle ? do u mean reference ? haha

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Bonsai Jack conifer soil would be great to pot it in. I have used bonsai jack from the beginning almost.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Ooh ok!! Thank you very much!! :0 Does it stay outside pretty much 100% of the time? Even in colder weather?
Looks like a Japanese garden juniper. Cold hardy. Should be outside in winter. We're in Michigan and ours are buried under piles of snow.

IMG-20210210-WA0010.jpgIMG-20210210-WA0009.jpg

Top Bottom