Need help identifying fungus/pest!

Reaction score
Hello all!
This is my first post here, and as stated above I need help identifying a pest/fungus!
It’s on the juvenile needles of a Parson’s Juniper. I live in Tennessee, and it’s been around 100 degrees for 2 weeks now if that context is important. I’ve been making sure to water adequately. I’ve been doing bonsai for 1.5 years now and would really appreciate the help identifying this do I can properly treat it. It’s only covering about 5-10 percent of the foliage as of now, but I removed it from the other trees. Thank you! (Image below)

Attachments

• E187932F-F640-4BD6-9444-E7738AD2C383.jpeg
    E187932F-F640-4BD6-9444-E7738AD2C383.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 49

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Not a fungus - Its Juniper scale insect infestation. Isolate the tree well away from Junipers and cypress and treat either with dish soap or Neem Oil .
The bugs are tiny slow moving and have a whitish waxy skin and they suck the sap , slowly killing the tree.

Reaction score
Not a fungus - Its Juniper scale insect infestation. Isolate the tree well away from Junipers and cypress and treat either with dish soap or Neem Oil .
The bugs are tiny slow moving and have a whitish waxy skin and they suck the sap , slowly killing the tree.
Great thank you so much, I really appreciate the help!! :)

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Juniper scale is one of the two only pests I use systemics for. Because they're so hard to get rid of.
Neem oil didn't cut it for me.

If the ants keep milking the scale, you know they aren't dead.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Whole pics!

Welcome to Crazy!

It may be a good move to just burn it.

Sorce

Reaction score
Juniper scale is one of the two only pests I use systemics for. Because they're so hard to get rid of.
Neem oil didn't cut it for me.

If the ants keep milking the scale, you know they aren't dead.
Thanks for your reply! Do you have a systemic that you recommend? I read online to spray it with insecticidal soap, I I tried that yesterday. I’m guessing that might not be enough.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
If there are no ants visiting that plant, it worked for you!
And of course they should stop spreading to new foliage.

The hard part is that when scale dies, it just sits there forever until it's rubbed off of the foliage by the wind. A week or so after treatment: if they still bleed when crushed (leave a yellow or brown mark on your fingers) then they're still alive.

My stuff contains Lambda-cyhalothrin, but I'm sure there are some local systemics that work just as well. Read the label. Read the instructions. Take good safety precautions when using systemics or any kind of chemical.

Reaction score
If there are no ants visiting that plant, it worked for you!
And of course they should stop spreading to new foliage.

The hard part is that when scale dies, it just sits there forever until it's rubbed off of the foliage by the wind. A week or so after treatment: if they still bleed when crushed (leave a yellow or brown mark on your fingers) then they're still alive.

My stuff contains Lambda-cyhalothrin, but I'm sure there are some local systemics that work just as well. Read the label. Read the instructions. Take good safety precautions when using systemics or any kind of chemical.
This was very informative, I really appreciate your time. Now that I know what going on I can tackle this problem! Hope you have a good day :)

Top Bottom