Need help im new to this

Reaction score
Hello my name is francisco and i'm from portugal and i love bonsais since i was a little kid but only today i got one and i would love to get some help from someone who knows a little more than i do. This is my bonsai and i would love to know more about it like for example what kind of tree is it and what do you recomend me doing to keep it healthy and to get it looking good.
Thank you so much for whoever helps me out.20200406_142918.jpg20200406_143047.jpg

Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like a ficus. Repot it into healthy soil. Move it to a more and more sunny spot. Let it grow for a year or two to regain its health. It is not a happy plant.

Reaction score
Looks like a ficus. Repot it into healthy soil. Move it to a more and more sunny spot. Let it grow for a year or two to regain its health. It is not a happy plant.
Thank you so much for the help could you pleas recomend me some kinde of soil for it and tell me how much sunlight should it get and tell me what wattering scheduele would you recomend

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
1. A free draining soil mix with uniform particle sizes. Not sure what is availible in Portugal but something like sifted pumice and perlite would work. You can also buy bonsai soils online. Just make sure you sift them to remove the fine dust.

2. It would like full sun but you will need to slowly move it into a full sun position so the tree can adapt to the new environment. Move it to a spot that has morning sun only for 1-2 weeks, then morning and late sun for 1-2weeks, then into a spot with full sun all day except 11am-3pm and then finally a spot with full sun all day.

3. Water it when the top 1/2inch - inch of soil is mostly dry. Do not water on a schedule. You may eventually find a period of time that seems work well.for watering. But until then, check the soil for moisture and then water. That soil should be damp, but not soaking wet. Mirai just posted a video on basic watering:

Reaction score
1. A free draining soil mix with uniform particle sizes. Not sure what is availible in Portugal but something like sifted pumice and perlite would work. You can also buy bonsai soils online. Just make sure you sift them to remove the fine dust.

2. It would like full sun but you will need to slowly move it into a full sun position so the tree can adapt to the new environment. Move it to a spot that has morning sun only for 1-2 weeks, then morning and late sun for 1-2weeks, then into a spot with full sun all day except 11am-3pm and then finally a spot with full sun all day.

3. Water it when the top 1/2inch - inch of soil is mostly dry. Do not water on a schedule. You may eventually find a period of time that seems work well.for watering. But until then, check the soil for moisture and then water. That soil should be damp, but not soaking wet. Mirai just posted a video on basic watering:
thank you very much for the help i apreciate it alot

Kdavis1109

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What is your recommendation for ficus soil mixture? Looking for that special secret recipe. I have a lot of unused coconut coir from another project if that will work for the organic portion of the mixture.

Top Bottom